Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neglect of our Yeats heritage

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

tuppence wrote: »
    Now I wouldnt reckon am an expert on tourism but naming a concrete road after Yeats doesnt seem quite fitting as a draw to attract people in. In fact would it not be the direct antithesis of what he was about (a road named after a local politician might seem quite apt in the recent climate, if you think about it!) I would'nt be travelling any length to see a road. Some of the green areas that they are trying to adapt for recreational use on the shore of Lough Gill or something, a cruise or a bus trip round the scenic areas, might be best named after him.
    In my view you need to protect the structures and resources first and then build on that. eg Theres plenty of local social enterprises that would create a use for a space such as Markievitz House that would have a benefit for local community and community at large if given a small grant to kick start. (thats presuming that the HSE does not want the premises anymore) Oh yes and employ people in the process.

but for branding the name anything would be good, the more the better and the only way poet and painters suvive the time is by branding them. Look at all the dutch masters, nothing but brands. Nobody goes to rembrandt plein (Rembrandt square for the non dutch speakers) in the city i hate most (Amsterdam) But a lot of people know about it and make the connection. Every tourist goes over it same as the ugly bridge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

but for branding the name anything would be good, the more the better and the only way poet and painters suvive the time is by branding them. Look at all the dutch masters, nothing but brands. Nobody goes to rembrandt plein (Rembrandt square for the non dutch speakers) in the city i hate most (Amsterdam) But a lot of people know about it and make the connection. Every tourist goes over it same as the ugly bridge.

Re branding Sligo, Think I'd just drop the Gateway City malarky and go back to Sligo- Yeats country. Think it was that for some time (informally at least) til the celtic tiger tried to put a bulldozer through it. Back to that again might be a start on the right direction on the rebranding front..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Re branding Sligo, Think I'd just drop the Gateway City malarky and go back to Sligo- Yeats country. Think it was that for some time (informally at least) til the celtic tiger tried to put a bulldozer through it. Back to that again might be a start on the right direction on the rebranding front..

But Sligo is the gateway. To Donegal. Have you not noyiced all the buses that stop at the Southern for one night on their way from Galway and Mayo to Donegal? Yes, we truly are a watering hole on the way to better places. The Sligo Tourist Office must be so proud:rolleyes:

il gatto wrote: »
    But Sligo is the gateway. To Donegal. Have you not noyiced all the buses that stop at the Southern for one night on their way from Galway and Mayo to Donegal? Yes, we truly are a watering hole on the way to better places. The Sligo Tourist Office must be so proud:rolleyes:

LOL I always wondered why they called it gateway city, thanks for clearing that one up!;)

Exactly, and maybe people even start to read him again!;)

• Advertisement

Exactly, and maybe people even start to read him again!;)
    Some of us never stopped. Obviously theres quite a few tho that were out the day they were doing him at school.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I've had people visiting us from the east & the midlands who I'd arranged to meet in town before coming back to the house. On more than one occasion, they have completely by-passed Sligo & ended up doing U-turns when they realised that they were halfway to Bundoran. It's easily done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭jimmmy

I've had people visiting us from the east & the midlands who I'd arranged to meet in town before coming back to the house. On more than one occasion, they have completely by-passed Sligo & ended up doing U-turns when they realised that they were halfway to Bundoran. It's easily done.

That happened you as well ? I have also come across people who completely by-passed Sligo & ended up doing U-turns when they realised that they were halfway to Bundoran. There needs to be a big sign on the inner relief road " Entrance to Sligo " or "Sligo town / city centre" or something like that.

jimmmy wrote: »
    That happened you as well ? I have also come across people who completely by-passed Sligo & ended up doing U-turns when they realised that they were halfway to Bundoran. There needs to be a big sign on the inner relief road " Entrance to Sligo " or "Sligo town / city centre" or something like that.

Or a statue of Yeats holding a billboard, saying "Blink and you'll miss it". :D

jimmmy wrote: »

There is a sign on the dual garrigeway saying "welcome to sligo the gatway city" but then your not really in sligo yet. Its before the juction to the retrail park. A extra sign wouldn't do any harm just before the round about. Maybe change it into welcome to sligo yeats town would be better.

• Advertisement

There is a sign on the dual garrigeway saying "welcome to sligo the gatway city" but then your not really in sligo yet. Its before the juction to the retrail park. A extra sign wouldn't do any harm just before the round about.

Careful now or you'll be moderated for bad spelling. :D

Careful now or you'll be moderated for bad spelling. :D

That was really bad aswell!! carriage way:o You can tell mrs.T wasn't here to correctme! And you were so quick I couldn't edit!!

That was really bad aswell!! carriage way:o You can tell mrs.T wasn't here to correctme! And you were so quick I couldn't edit!!

I won't mention the "gatway city" or the "retrail park" then! You gotta be quick off the mark 'round these parts. :D

I won't mention the "gatway city" or the "retrail park" then! You gotta be quick off the mark 'round these parts. :D

Penicillin must be working then.;)

LOL It's hard to type with big fingers! Now stop picking on the big guy!:D Or should I play the foreign card??

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭shellyriver

:P
    I really coudlnt care less about Yates tbh!

Safe Bet to say that Mr Yates wasn't bad as Agriculture Minister:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

:P

Safe Bet to say that Mr Yates wasn't bad as Agriculture Minister:P

no no not our dearest rolly polly Ivan but the chavaminute Wine Bar chain!

p209397-London-Yatess_Bar.jpg

Thanks for the clarification:P. Must go and recite Lake Isle of Innisfree there when in London.

Had a thought, maybe it should be put on Yeats Trail -- seeing that Lissadell is closed to public as a result of a legitimate claim which I think will result in a similar fate to one that has been exploded in Sligo.:D

I'd drink to that:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Just to let people know who are interested in the delisting of Markievicz House as part of the Sligo and Environs Development Plan (and indeed any other issue to do with the plan) the final date for submissions and observations is Wednesday April 22nd at 4pm.
    Here are the details. The list of Buildings that are been either delisted or added as protected structures are at the bottom of the page under the heading "rps" (record of protected structures)
    http://www.sligococo.ie/sedp/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Just to let people know who are interested in the delisting of Markievicz House as part of the Sligo and Environs Development Plan (and indeed any other issue to do with the plan) the final date for submissions and observations is Wednesday April 22nd at 4pm.
    Here are the details. The list of Buildings that are been either delisted or added as protected structures are at the bottom of the page under the heading "rps" (record of protected structures)
    http://www.sligococo.ie/sedp/

There are alot of links there to PDF files regarding RPS. I couldn't figure out which one to download. Am using crappy ISP so takes aaaaages, I need to be sure first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

There are alot of links there to PDF files regarding RPS. I couldn't figure out which one to download. Am using crappy ISP so takes aaaaages, I need to be sure first.

No problem, here is the page that has Markievicz House,
    http://www.sligococo.ie/media/RPS%20Structures%20001%20to%20050%209%20Feb%202009.pd
    Be warned though considering it make take you a while to download there isnt a whole lot of information on it :(

Cheers for update Garth.

Advertisement