Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile phones good or bad?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭

Im 22 so mobile phones have always been around my whole adult life, but I always wonder what it was like without them. Back in the good old days before relationships outcomes where determined by txt messages, people had to send letters and make phone calls to the house. I also like the idea that when people organised to meet each other somewhere there was none of that ringing saying that are goin to be late sh**e, to take the words from my uncle haha. But I suppose the conveince of phones outweight the incoveince, its hard to know....opinions please

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ah they were the good old days, calling around to friends houses unnanounced when it wasn't ''weird''.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,865 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Me and Whacker can swap tonez on da bus with that bluetooth yoke while Johnner blares out choons on his stroked iPhone.

Bleedin rapih they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Me and Whacker can swap tonez on da bus with that bluetooth yoke while Johnner blares out choons on his stroked iPhone.

Bleedin rapih they are.
    ........ ..... ..yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In terms of "waiting", I'd say people were a lot more patient. If I was waiting for someone now, they hadn't turned up after 20 minutes and I couldn't raise them on the mobile, I'd be gone. Back in the good old days, I can remember stories of people waiting "over an hour" for someone who was late and so forth.

But to a certain extent there's something of an enforced politeness now too. It's weird to call to someone's house unannounced because they may not be in the mood for visitors, or they may be in the middle of something.
    You can lament the fact that people wouldn't have their doors open like a B & B, but I imagine back in the "good old days", it was a complete pain in the arse when a friend called round, you were in the middle of making dinner and watching home and away and the kids were screaming, and you couldn't say, "Actually now's not a great time, can you come back in a hour?".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, back when you'd be unable to communicate with any of your friends unless your in range of a landline, and not being able to check the scores of matches, or check your mails or do you banking on your phone or blah blah blah.

Mobiles are great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

As someone who was around before the advent of mobile phones I can confirm that they are indeed generally a good tool to have. My favourite feature is still the ability to screen calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Kiith wrote: »
    Ya, back when you'd be unable to communicate with any of your friends unless your in range of a landline, and not being able to check the scores of matches, or check your mails or do you banking on your phone or blah blah blah.

Mobiles are great.

They sure are... They have so many uses... great auld things. Pity they will rot us from the inside out with cancer and the likes... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Document1

I am 30 and even I have a problem trying to imagine life without them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Going down to the post office and writing a telegram and being charged for each word, those were the days. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

Ahh yeah I remeber the good old days back in primary school when I could just dander over to my next door neighbours house for an unannounced visit and get a impromptu game of football going, impossible to do that now everyone would be too busy and have numerous excuses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Mr.Lizard

Still, they didn't have it too bad back in the 'bad old day' (directly pre-mobile) mind. My parents would tell me all about the various trekking they had to do whenever they needed to get to a coinbox to make an important call.

I even went to college with a fella who's flat didn't have a landline so he'd have to walk across the road to make a call at the local sports club. This was 1996! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

yeah i imagine people were alot more punctual before mobiles!

Also dont like people who consistently text while you are having coffee/tea with them , as in if you have agreed to spend time with them, not them plus whoever they are texting.

Also no phones at the dinner table please! Or consistently checking the mobile of you are out at dinner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭mac_attack

yeah i imagine people were alot more punctual before mobiles!

Also dont like people who consistently text while you are having coffee/tea with them , as in if you have agreed to spend time with them, not them plus whoever they are texting.

Also no phones at the dinner table please! Or consistently checking the mobile of you are out at dinner.

Yeah that really rubs me up the wrong way, whne people are attached to their phone when they are meant to be talking to you. Wonder what people did before they could check their phone or send a txt msg when they where bored, maybe talk to randomnes more and be less stand offish and inseluar as people seem today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

its hard to remember what it was like. You'd wonder how the likes of long distance relationships worked without mobiles and texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It's easier to weasel out of arrangements, which is good.

It's put a bit of a damper on spur-of-the-moment domestic manslaughters though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

useless things. They're just a fad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What i find funny is some modern day movies whole storylines would fall apart from the fact that they didnt blatently ignore the fact that every1 has a mobile phone.

Here is how the older movies would have ended if mobiles were everywhere.

Advertisement