Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A suggestion for a rule

Options
  • 16-03-2009 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055513944
    Reason:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055513495
    To be more exact:
    I fail to see how that's relevant to him stealing photos from it and reuploading them on another site with derogatory filenames to blatantly take the piss. If I did that to anybody in After Hours, or any other section of the site for that matter, I'd be banned instantly.
    Stealing or not adding silly names to them is childish beyond belief.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Offy wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055513944
    Reason:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055513495
    To be more exact:

Stealing or not adding silly names to them is childish beyond belief.

Normally I probably wouldnt approve of it, but Twilightning got EXACTLY what he deserved, he was acting like a complete tool, and he was made an example of.

I think his original post was pretty fúcking childish, the response he got was perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP: I agree, but to an extent. Human emotions certainly can (and do) take over and cause moderators to make biased moderation decisions, but I think a blanket ban is OTT.

Topics which can get heated, such as abortion, politics etc should warrant such a rule i.e if a mod in Humanities wants to partake in a discussion on abortion, they should not be allowed to make the moderation decisions that arise as a result of said thread.

Other topics, such as film reviews where there may be conflicting opinions but at the end of the day noone really cares, shouldn't fall under such a rule as it's a lot less likely that a mod of films will ban someone over their opinion on a movie, than the mod of humanities (for example only) to ban someone for a view that severely conflicts with theirs.

It'll never happen though. There's strict posting guidelines here but there seems to be no control over the standard of moderation, which, imo is a problem, though I'm sure some mod will be along promptly to disagree with me on that and then his/her post will receive a bunch of "thanks" from other emboldened usernames.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

Fad wrote: »
    Normally I probably wouldnt approve of it, but Twilightning got EXACTLY what he deserved, he was acting like a complete tool, and he was made an example of.

I think his original post was pretty fúcking childish, the response he got was perfect.

I didnt read the post Fad but its no harm to raise the bar a little. Two wrongs dont make a right.

Rb I know Mods are human and subject to all human emotions, no harm in having a safety mechanism though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I didnt read the post Fad but its no harm to raise the bar a little. Two wrongs dont make a right.

Read the post, he was out of line.

I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but I feel he deserved to be shaken up a little.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Offy, is this thread specifically about a particular after hours mod? If so, it should be in helpdesk.
    If it's about site moderation in general then perhaps you could give more examples of where this type of behaviour is happening.

The rule you are proposing in the other thread is a guideline that is already followed by most if not all mods when they get in any way personally involved in a 'heated discussion' with a boards member in their own forum.

• Advertisement

Fad wrote: »
    Read the post, he was out of line.

I'm not saying two wrongs make a right, but I feel he deserved to be shaken up a little.

Cant, I dont have permission. Im not disputing that ban, he probably did deserve it but people in authoritian positions have to lead by example and sometimes the example set could be better.

Steve wrote: »
    Offy, is this thread specifically about a particular after hours mod? If so, it should be in helpdesk.
    If it's about site moderation in general then perhaps you could give more examples of where this type of behaviour is happening.

The rule you are proposing in the other thread is a guideline that is already followed by most if not all mods when they get in any way personally involved in a 'heated discussion' with a boards member in their own forum.

Hi Steve, Id rather not name names, I not looking to upset anyone. This thread is not about any one incident, its about setting standards. Its not targeting anyone. I guess its about trying to remove emotional decisions in some cases and replacing them with set procedures. The example I gave was given as I see it as a poor method of Mod'ing and for no other reason.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hi Steve, Id rather not name names, I not looking to upset anyone. This thread is not about any one incident, its about setting standards. Its not targeting anyone. I guess its about trying to remove emotional decisions in some cases and replacing them with set procedures. The example I gave was given as I see it as a poor method of Mod'ing and for no other reason.
    By linking that one particular helpdesk thread you sort of are naming names unless you can give a more broad set of example threads where this has happened.

That example is an exception to the rule on boards, besides it doesn't even fit in with your thesis as the mod in question didn't ban him in the first place.

Steve wrote: »
    By linking that one particular helpdesk thread you sort of are naming names unless you can give a more broad set of example threads where this has happened.

That example is an exception to the rule on boards, besides it doesn't even fit in with your thesis as the mod in question didn't ban him in the first place.

Thanks for the input Steve but Im not trying to prove anything, Im sorry now I listed any example. You are right I did sort of name a name but I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I am not targeting anyone. This thread wasnt meant to start a debate, it was just a suggestion, consider it withdrawn.

Thanks for the input Steve but Im not trying to prove anything, Im sorry now I listed any example. You are right I did sort of name a name but I'd like to make it perfectly clear that I am not targeting anyone. This thread wasnt meant to start a debate, it was just a suggestion, consider it withdrawn.
    The suggestion is a good one, I'm just saying that it is, for the most part, already in place.
    I can assure you that any moderator that repeatedly abuses their status gets dealt with appropriately by the site owners.
    As for withdrawing your suggestion, please don't. This is feedback and this is what it's for. :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Moderators genuinely do check their heads against the Moderating community in the moderators forum. AH is kinda like the wild west where if you dont want to get shot, its probably not the best idea to call out the sheriff...

I do take your point and we do generally suggest to moderators that if they are emotionally invested, they should relinquish mod rights to their co-mods. Its why we usually have 2 mods at least per forum.

I dont think its something we can "legislate" for but its something I would take a DEEPLY poor view of if it was happening even semi regularly... thankfully its a rarity.

DeV.

Advertisement