Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a prescription be used in the North?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Does anyone know if I get a prescription from a doctor here can it be used at a chemist in the North?

I recently moved from Australia and the inhaler I'm on (Seretide) is four times the price here at 80 euro for 60 doses.

I want to check the price in the North and so thought I should check if they'll accept the script first.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Pretty sure it can, as long as the prescription's from an EU-registered doc.

I've recently gotten some medication from these guys, based in the UK. I paid half the price charged locally... I'd recomend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭fergalfrog

Thanks for that.

I had a look at that site and saw:
    " This is a prescription only product. To purchase this item you must have a valid prescription from a UK registered practitioner."

Did your order require a prescription and was a prescription from an Irish doctor ok?

I emailed them about Irish prescriptions and they said:

"Thank you for your query. We accept prescriptions from Ireland as long as the prescription is all in English. The prescription must also be for a human and not a pet."

I know where I will be buying prescription medicine from now on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

Yes, I asked them about my prescription not being from the UK, and it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

as a academic sidebar, I wonder can an Australia prescription be used in the United Kingdom?

*Australia is a current member of the Commonwealth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Just for the record, I turned up in the UK one time without tablets, but the prescription was in my bag. I went into the nearest Boots and asked if they could fill it. They asked how long I was staying for, and gave me just enough to cover my stay. They kept warning me that they couldn't give them to me free I wasn't on the NHS, and I'd have to pay for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I tried this once in Scotland and once in England and they wouldn't give me an asthma inhaler (Salamol/Ventolin) and just directed me to the nearest doctor. What i do now is, either when i'm on a city break or someone i know is away in Europe, i get them then. In most European countries you can buy salamol/ventolin WITHOUT prescription over the counter for about 5 euro compared to 8 here. I have a Spanish work colleague who regularly obliges me when she's on a trip home :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

fergalfrog wrote: »
    I emailed them about Irish prescriptions and they said:

"Thank you for your query. We accept prescriptions from Ireland as long as the prescription is all in English. The prescription must also be for a human and not a pet."

I know where I will be buying prescription medicine from now on!

By coincidence I emailed and asked chemistdirect today about this issue and got the same response as above. I posted about it on the Long Term Illness forum and someone asked if it's illegal to import prescription drugs into the country.Does anyone here know?

No it's not illegal unless you have a lot of them and/or are looking to re-sell them - same as with anything you bring in from overseas.

Customs at Dublin airport is so lax anyway you'd be extremely unlucky to be checked. If you're coming from the North it's not as if they'll stop the car.

I am heading to London next weekend and am going to bring my Irish prescription. Will update on how I get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭c4cat

fergalfrog wrote: »
    No it's not illegal unless you have a lot of them and/or are looking to re-sell them - same as with anything you bring in from overseas.

Customs at Dublin airport is so lax anyway you'd be extremely unlucky to be checked. If you're coming from the North it's not as if they'll stop the car.

I am heading to London next weekend and am going to bring my Irish prescription. Will update on how I get on.

If your driving a foreign reg car in the border areas of the republic there is more then a fair chance of getting pulled by customs. They are on a blitz looking for Irish residents driving nordie cars and nordies residents coming down here to sign on the dole and not being resident here

• Advertisement

That's for people coming down here tho - nothing to do with people going up the North to buy as much as they like (precription drugs or otherwise).

So unless you're in a foreign reg car you have more chance of being stopped for road tax.

I rang the Irish Medicines Board in the end.
    It is not illegal to bring a prescription to a European country and bring your drugs home and it is not illegal to have someone pick up a prescription for you in Europe and personally deliver it to you. However bringing drugs into the country by mail order,even if you've sent a prescription to a registered pharmacy and it's all above board in that respect, is illegal so chemistdirect.co.uk is out of bounds for prescriptions and may be stopped at customs.
    Typical :o

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Well after Budget day yesterday, it is now time to review all purchases, including the monthly outlay for prescription medicine for the OH, which is over 150 Euro and for monthly shop up North. This is something I would never have dreamt of doing but needs must.

We are now planning a trip to Enniskillen and probably, monthly thereafter. The prescription medicine we are talking about is cozor, lipostat etc. so just wondering if anybody can confirm that this prescription will be accepted up there?

By and large, we will be down one month's salary in the year and it's time to start making savings just to LIVE!:o

suitseir wrote: »
    Well after Budget day yesterday, it is now time to review all purchases, including the monthly outlay for prescription medicine for the OH, which is over 150 Euro and for monthly shop up North. This is something I would never have dreamt of doing but needs must.

We are now planning a trip to Enniskillen and probably, monthly thereafter. The prescription medicine we are talking about is cozor, lipostat etc. so just wondering if anybody can confirm that this prescription will be accepted up there?

By and large, we will be down one month's salary in the year and it's time to start making savings just to LIVE!:o

I hear ya!
    Is the €150 prescription solely for your OH?Are you aware that there is a drug payment scheme in Ireland? Under the scheme you pay the first €100 of any monthly prescription and the state pays the rest. Everyone "ordinarily resident" in the state is entitled.Details of it are here : http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/entitlement-to-health-services/drugs-payment-scheme

It is perfectly legal for a pharmacy in NI to accept and fill an Irish prescription. Individual pharmacies have the discretion to serve you or not though.You might be wise to look up phone numbers online and ring some pharmacies in the area you plan to visit to make sure that they are willing to serve customers from the Republic.It might save you walking around looking for one that will help you out.

Just to follow up on this thread - yesterday I went in to a Boot's in North London with my prescription for a Seretide inhaler from a local doctor (in Co. Mayo). No problems whatsoever.

The cost of the inhaler was 47 pounds whereas here it is 81euro (it would be even cheaper were I living in the UK).

This inhaler has only 60 doses which lasts me 2 months when used sparingly. I am less than 2 hours from Enniskillen and so I will be going there for it from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/

Ive been using these guys. Usually get it about 3 days after ordering.
    They say its £4 postage but ive never been charged postage at all.

For most illnesses these will give you a repeat prescription via email for £15.

Seretide 250mg 120 Dose is £64 / €72 - I usually order 2 of these at a time - 4 months supply.

http://www.assetchemist.co.uk/Product_Details.php?product_id=446758

Makes even more sense now with the reduced medical costs refunds from revenue together with the increase in drug refund scheme amount to be paid.

If you are unsure send them an email, as their website isnt the most user friendly.

I am just going to go to Enniskillen for it - just 2 hours from where I live. I save 30 euros per inhaler so this combined with a weekly shop make the trip worth while.

Thanks for your help tho.

Advertisement