Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Couple of E71 questions

• 16-03-2009 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭

I have a Blackberry Pearl at the moment, but am considering getting an E71.

Does the N71 have a password feature to protect the information on the phone as the Pearl has, and do you need to get a seperate email bundle on three for it to work (Push email is the term I think)? Another question is whether the battery life better than the Pearl?

The reason I'm considering changing is that I don't find the battery great on the Pearl, I don't like paying for the Vodafone blackberry bundle and ideally I'm looking for a cheaper solution for what is really just a lightly used personal phone, but one that I want to have email access on.

Thanks for any help/advice offered.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

Don't know about the Pearl lock - there is a way to encrypt/secure the memory card but have never tried it. There is a remote wipe available in case its lost/stolen.

You can get a seperate internet dundle although you can always pay as you use but its expensive. I have the E71 with the vodafone isp 1GB promo for 9.99 a month. It gives me all the email, browsing, youtube, podcast download etc that I need. Never gone over 200MB in the month.

The battery life is great. I get 2 days mail on 7am to midnight. Great phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

Thanks Elderlemon, much appreciated. I like the phone, but the security keylock would be important, and I can't find any reference to one online. I may still go for it. Can I ask how it performs with wifi? I've used a palm with wifi before, but not a phone. I take it that it's fairly nippy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

IIMII wrote: »
    Thanks Elderlemon, much appreciated. I like the phone, but the security keylock would be important, and I can't find any reference to one online. I may still go for it. Can I ask how it performs with wifi? I've used a palm with wifi before, but not a phone. I take it that it's fairly nippy?

E71 is fantastic.
    Can you explain that 'lock' you're on about? I'm sure there is a solution - either built in or as a 3rd party app.
    I'm just not sure I understand correctly!
    Wifi is very good and fast and easy to set up. And with an app like joikuspot you can turn the e71 itself into a wifi hotspot, use its net for your laptop etc... Even with such an app the battery lasts for ages!

That's the lock feature I was refering to. Think I have it set to 12 tries or something before phone is blocked. But it is a useful feature to have, particularly where email is involved.

I'm going to go ahead and get one, thanks for the help lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Just noticed you're talking about N- and E-71...huh? It's the E, right?! Yeah, you can secure it, and in every single respect it beats the Pearl

• Advertisement

I copped that, but the question had been answered - E71 was what I meant to put in both times.. Ta

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

On perfect choice 600 vodafone at the moment. About to upgrade to the E71. (everyone here said how great it is) My question is, what extra bundle or package do i need for this phone. I want to add 2 or 3 email accounts to it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On perfect choice 600 vodafone at the moment. About to upgrade to the E71. (everyone here said how great it is) My question is, what extra bundle or package do i need for this phone. I want to add 2 or 3 email accounts to it.

Not familar with Voads packages, but data charges are low enough if you use the Google Application. I have it setup for personal and company email, check regulary in a wifi zone or using o2.

Personally never liked the email feature that comes with Nokias.

Any takers on this one yet? For the E71, do i need the vodafone email bundle as well as my perfect choice 600?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Any takers on this one yet? For the E71, do i need the vodafone email bundle as well as my perfect choice 600?

Link me to the plans, should be able to tell by looking at them. Your using the standard email feature I assume?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,250 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

you need a data bundle, the most vodafone offer is 500mb for 9.99 (it costs €5 per mb after you use the 500mb:eek:).... could get very expensive if you go over the allowance, might be worth looking at a more internet friendly network if your going to be using it constantly...

you need a data bundle, the most vodafone offer is 500mb for 9.99 (it costs €5 per mb after you use the 500mb:eek:).... could get very expensive if you go over the allowance, might be worth looking at a more internet friendly network if your going to be using it constantly...

Want to be bucket loads of email a day to reach 500mb.

the 500mb is for the month....

€5 per mb after the 500mb is daylight robbery....

Sending and receiving a few emails every day. Wouldnt be a huge user of it. Plus theres the bonus of finding free wi-fi unlike the blackberry. So i will definatly need the data add-on. Could I just use vodafone live?

you could but you will still need the data add on, have a look at o2 or 3 and see how your bills will work out.... that €5 per mb is a booby trap that only needs to catch you once...

Got it. Absolutely brilliant phone, once you get used to it (which doesn't take long).. Didn't realise the Sat Nav is so good (anyone know how much the annual subscription is?)! Wifi is excellent, can't fault it. Only thing that is annoying is the absense of push mail on pre-pay but as I mentioned elsewhere I am minded to change it to bill. VOIP is great too. Battery is really good compared to the Blackberry Pearl. Shop didn't have car mount but will probably look for one at the weekend.

Got the screensaver back working properly.. switched to "Animated" and the time updates. This was the one I had activated on older firmware which I forgot to switch back to after the upgrade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I'm having an annoying date problem with my E71. For some reason every now and again the date goes forward by 2 days. So for example today being the 22/04/2009, it'll jump to 24/04/2009 all on its own.

I've found a discussion on the Nokia forums relating to this problem but there's no solution. It seems to be linked to either the Quick Office app or workday alarm, which doesn't really help because I use both. :(

Anyone else having this problem?

Advertisement