Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Bass - Metronome

Options
  • 16-03-2009 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to learn bass at the moment and I'm using an online metronome but I'm wondering what's the best way to use the metronome. I've been playing at one bpm for a few minutes then changing bpm and doing that over and over. Is there a better way of doing it to get used to keeping time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭Rigsby

I'm not sure what you mean by one bpm, as it is just that, i.e. 1 beat per minute :confused:

For starters I'd suggest playing your scales at a tempo that's comfortable for you, maybe around 40 bpm. Play each note on the downbeats (i.e. on the clicks ), then play each note on the upbeats (between the clicks). When you have nailed this, try alternating upbeats and downbeats e.g. ascending the scale on the downbeats and descending on the upbeats. When you have this nailed this (but not before ;) ), increase the bpm by 10.

Do a search for "bass metronome" on You Tube. There are lots of metronome exercises there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Rigsby wrote: »
    I'm not sure what you mean by one bpm, as it is just that, i.e. 1 beat per minute :confused:

I realise that could be misleading, I might do something at 100bpm for example, then change to 120 for example. I'll have a look at them youtube videos rigsby, cheers.

Squirrel wrote: »
    I realise that could be misleading, I might do something at 100bpm for example, then change to 120 for example. I'll have a look at them youtube videos rigsby, cheers.

100 bpm might be too fast for you. The golden rule is to start slow and build up speed g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y. :)

What exercises are you actually doing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Squirrel wrote:
    I'm starting to learn bass at the moment and I'm using an online metronome but I'm wondering what's the best way to use the metronome. I've been playing at one bpm for a few minutes then changing bpm and doing that over and over. Is there a better way of doing it to get used to keeping time?
    Rigsby wrote:
    I'm not sure what you mean by one bpm
    I'm assuming that the OP means they are playing at one speed e.g. 60BPM and then changing to another BPM e.g. 90BPM and then switching between the two. When it comes to learning fast or difficult parts of songs what I often do is increase the tempo gradually while playing the part say ten times.
    Rigsby wrote: »
    The golden rule is to start slow and build up speed g-r-a-d-u-a-l-l-y. :)
    I agree with this. If you play the scales really slowly, you're forcing yourself to think about each note rather than just relying on your fingers to rip through a pattern that has been memorised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Slow it down a good bit, it may seem easier but try to get your timing bang on and play as cleanly as possible. Then you can speed it up a little at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

What I've been doing is playing scales and some runs from songs at varying bpms, between 50 and 70 generally and trying to increase. So varying and building up speed gradually are what's advised?

Squirrel wrote: »
    What I've been doing is playing scales and some runs from songs at varying bpms, between 50 and 70 generally and trying to increase. So varying and building up speed gradually are what's advised?

Yes. That's what I'd advise. Making sure your notes are clear sounding is much more important than speed at this stage. That will come with practice. Take your time. No good playing fast sloppy notes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭jarain

Just echoing the advice above, start slow build up slowly to the faster tempos and at each step through the increasing speeds aim to keep your fretboard technique relaxed and efficient.

Practicing scales etc at low BPM is a very valuable excercise in itself, it forces you to look at different aspects of your playing.

When playing at low tempos make sure that you hold the note for its entire duration, don't cut it short.

Also try to have some practice time without the metronome to help develop your internal rythm and timing.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Don't forget to practice playing while standing and while sitting. It's important to be comfortable doing both. If I'm rehearsing or playing live I will be standing up but if I'm try to write or work out a song I'll usually be sitting down to do it.

Advertisement