Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water leak.

Options
  • 16-03-2009 7:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi Guys.Just looking for advise,I have a slight leak above my sitting room ceiling.It gets bad when heating is off for a few days,the problem is there ars built in wardrobes in the room i think the leak is coming from and I dont want to take them down until IM SURE THE LEAK IS THERE.Should I cut the plaster board in the ceiling and hope the leak is there or is there a device to detect pipes,I know the water is showing in a plaster board join .
    Any ideas
    Thanks Don

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

You might be lucky in that the leak is where the damp patch is but the water could be leaking elsewhere and just following the pipe to a low point where it then starts to drip onto your ceiling from above. You could end up removing half the ceiling to find the leak.

What's above this room, i.e. is there a bathroom/ensuite where it could be a shower leaking. I had this problem in my last house and it turned out that the tiles in the shower had not been fixed in place properly and the water was getting in behind them and dripping down to the room below. Fixing the tiles and resealing the shower solved the proplem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bigdon

Thanks guys,
    Thare are two bedrooms directly above stain both have built-in wardrobes ,also hot press and copper water tank I have put towels down in hot press but no sign of dampness.Timber floors in bedrooms......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

before you cut the plaster board, get a little bradawl and make some small holes, this will allow you identify the joist and help pin point closer to where the leak is coming from.....

Have you checked all the valves on the radiators in the room above? these can weep and the water can run back along the pipe and drip under the floor...

It could also be as simple as a compression fitting needing to be tightened...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

if u cut out the PB, I would do it along the edge of the joist and then u can screw in an additional piece along the joist to make fitting back the piece easier,

For joining the pb across the joists, screw a bit of timber on the inner fsce of the piece of pb u left in, leaving an overhanging strip on the ope

Hi guys,
    just to let you know,I cut out the base of one of the built in wardrobes and cut out about 7" of floorboard,enough to look around and found a tee joint weeping 40" away,awkard to reach but at least I found it.
    Thanks for all the advise.
    Don

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,381 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

What sort of fitting is it?

Is it a compression fitting? Can you just tighten it?

Its a brass tee joint with copex pipe into it,I tightened it last night and drip stopped but after heating came on for awhile and then off again the slight drip returned,I got another nip on it this morn and I will check it when heating goes off,I think its down to expansion and contraction..

Advertisement