Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build problem

Options
  • 16-03-2009 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all, first post here. I just purchased a new case and motherboard, cpu, psu, graphics card etc.

Getting a friend to help me on this, the cpu is the 6600 quad core 2.66ghz
    Thermaltake Toughpower 750W, 6xSATA, Asus P5Q Deluxe, P45, Socket-775, DDR2, and the graphics card is a geforce 8600gt.
    New hard drive and all that.

Now the problem when everything has been put together and the 8pin is in the motherboard it starts up for a second then shuts down again, when the 8 pin is out it starts up for a while doesnt boot windows and shuts down again.

Is the motherboard dead?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

k99_64 wrote: »
    Hi all, first post here. I just purchased a new case and motherboard, cpu, psu, graphics card etc.

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W, 6xSATA, Asus P5Q Deluxe, P45, Socket-775, DDR2, and the graphics card is a geforce 8600gt.

Now the problem when everything has been put together and the 8pin is in the motherboard it starts up for a second then shuts down again, when the 8 pin is out it starts up for a while doesnt boot windows and shuts down again.

Is the motherboard dead?

Take out any unneeded parts first, harddisk, network cards etc to remove any complications. Make the fan power/control headers are connected okay and the heatsink has a good seating on the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Yeah worked on it for 10hours changing everything, 3 different graphic cards etc same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

sounds like my last dead motherboard.

first disconnect everything except for cpu, ram and maybe 3d card ( so you can see if the motherboard is posting)

if that doesn't work, make sure it's not shorting out by touching the case.

is there any diagnostic lights or led on the motherboard?

The motherboard lights are on but thanks for the answer kind of confirming what we thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭ronkmonster

it should also beep if 3d card is working (beep speaker must be connected)

actually, it could be your ram either. try single pieces or borrow some from a working pc if you can

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

The motherboard lights are on but thanks for the answer kind of confirming what we thought!

Did you remember the standoffs to keep the boards off the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

My suggestion would be to build the pc outside of the case on the motherboard box or something similar. Problems like this are usually some form of short ie. a screw loose behind the board or standoff copnnect it with as little as possible too as in 1 stick of am, 1 hard drive etc etc then try to eliminate the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Adder1

Is the motherboard dead?

did you make sure that the memory speed settings in the bios is set to the same as the memory modules you have. See your manaul for the relevent settings
    slower setting in bios should work for faster memory but if set faster in bios then memory is rated at then system may not boot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

check with a spare PSU.

Had similar behaviour for my little brothers build: turned out it was the PSU not the motherboard as I first thought.

Cheers for all the response, yes the board was seperate from the case, the spacers were used, and ill try with a different psu!

• Advertisement
Advertisement