Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anme is for kids?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 8:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

thats what my firend said to me yesterday:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭DandareRastaban

This topic is so... 'popular' nowadays for me that I don't even wanna tell again 100 reasons of : "why is it for people of all age" (some are for adults only... and I don't only mean hentai).

Seriously: in short Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I quite enjoy kids cartoons..... much more enjoyable than watching the news these days anyway.

Saying anime is for kids is like saying computer games are for kids, it might have been predominatley true 10 years ago but at the moment there are far more anime aimed squarley at adult audiences than at kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 q00444

my friend seed the same ting to me till i got him to watch some When They Cry - Higurashi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

q00444 wrote: »
    my friend seed the same ting to me till i got him to watch some When They Cry - Higurashi

Is this whole thread just going to be littered with bad spelling?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

gah i know plenty of people over the age of 20 who thoroughly enjoys anime. most of them are intended for adult viewing anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Yes and no. Some of it's for kids (Pokemon, Digimon, Cardcaptors) some for teens (Naruto, Bleach, Fruits Basket), some for adults (Ergo Proxy, Mushishi, Ghost In the Shell : SAC) and some for all ages (Studio Ghibli films). Pretty much like all media.
    Quite frankly, your friend is an uneducated idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

acontadino wrote: »
    thats what my firend said to me yesterday:p

I have a Japanese friend who moved over here a few years back and I asked her did she watch any anime when she was growing up and if she still watches any now, I told her a few shows and movies that I was watching that I would view as far from childish and she gave me this look like she'd lost an ounce of respect for me and said "I don't watch kiddie programs"

Tell your friend to watch the first 10 minutes of Elfin Lied and see if he still thinks anime is for kids.

Heck, even Naruto, which seems to be very popular amongst american teens and kids, deals with some fairly adult themes. I remember the first time
    Itachi used his mangekyo sharingan on Kakashi and tortured him in his mind for 48 hours straight by sticking blades into him repeatedly. There was just something very chilling about that scene

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 q00444

ztoical wrote: »
    Is this whole thread just going to be littered with bad spelling?
    well sench i am Dyslexics it cant be helped

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

q00444 wrote: »
    well sench i am Dyslexics it cant be helped

yes it can there is treatment and management for dyslexia.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Obvious troll is obvious.
    But if you're bored: read all bout our Animation Age Ghetto.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Prime32

caff wrote: »
    Saying anime is for kids is like saying computer games are for kids, it might have been predominatley true 10 years ago but at the moment there are far more anime aimed squarley at adult audiences than at kids.
    Actually the age balance hasn't changed. They just translate more adult stuff nowadays.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wild arms is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 OrigamiDragon

The issue here is that most of those who think that anime is for kids are only familiar with western cartoons, most of which are indeed for kids. Therefore, anime e.g. animation for them means cartoons, and cartoons means they are for kids.

In Japan they have their own issues. There are so much anime otaku(otaku in Japanese means a fanatic freak of something), and they are most of the time simply disgusting, and not only the Japanese otaku by the way. So there are many people who look at these freaks and think like, huh, what an idiot, he and his anime are just dumb, and most of them are for kids probably anyway. And series these people watched when they were kids only justify their opinion.

This is an opinion that is formed before experiencing or knowing the subject. Sort of a stereotype.

Advertisement