Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pelvic floor exercises

Options
  • 16-03-2009 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

When do people normally start doing these? Is it something that's done in ante-natal classes? Or something that's done outside of the classes? Just curious because the pregnancy book I have has mentioned this for week 18.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭trishakids

You can start doing them straight away. You can do them at home, sitting on a bus, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

You should do them everytime you think of them as you will find it very hard to control your wee if you don't. you just sqeeze your muscles as if you are trying not to pee and then let go after a few seconds. Don't do it when you are actually going to the toilet though because you will not empty your bladder properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭KittenCaboodle

I'm not pregnant but I've been doing these for years. My mother suffered a prolapsed womb in her 40s and had to have a hysterectomy, so I'm pretty adamant that's not going to happen to me!

Try these:

1. Imagine your vagina is a lift. Start at the bottom floor, tightening your lowest muscles (try to keep your belly soft) then tighten all the way up slowly and hold. Then release all the way back down in a slow and controlled manner.

2. Tighten and release in quick pulses in groups of 10 then relax. Do as many reps as you feel comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭beth-lou

I would advise you to do them frequently and start straight away and coninue after the birth of your baby. I was a bit lazy about it and I'm suffering the consequences. A trickle her and a trickle there, nothing major, but it can be stopped so easily with a few simple excercises.
    Do them when you are making tea, brushing your teeth, watching tv, any time you think of them, do them.

Advertisement