Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

List of all time top thanked posts?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

So nobody willing to own up then?
    Ah well.
    At least it's a better name than Ross.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

You have only made as a boards legend when they start changing your name. :pac:

Thanks to whomever changed back my name :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Damn, I got an odd post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

That sucks for you Tar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Im surprised im on that list. Ive never had a pos of the day or anything close to it.

...an uneven numbered post? bah! what are the odds of that?

edit: oh yeah, one in two :o

Jaysus. I have jumped 5 places since they changed me name.
    Thanks for the bump megatron.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

There are 2 people on that list at the moment I have never heard of.

#23 rocky25 1687
    #35 Borderfox 1318

Interesting that most people on it are mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

5starpool wrote: »

#23 rocky25 1687
    #35 Borderfox 1318

Might be renames?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I think rocky mostly posts in humour, so presumably picks up a lot of thanks if he's particularly funny.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

#23 rocky25
    Zaph wrote: »
    I think rocky mostly posts in humour, so presumably picks up a lot of thanks if he's particularly funny.

He was an absolute sensation in humour for about a year, but he's gone AWOL recently.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

An File wrote: »
    He was an absolute sensation in humour for about a year, but he's gone AWOL recently.

Recession must be depressing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

#23 rocky25 1687
    #35 Borderfox 1318
    Rocky was indeed brilliant in the humour forum and I really hope he comes back.

Borderfox posts mainly in photograpy and has some great shots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

smashey wrote: »
    Rocky was indeed brilliant in the humour forum and I really hope he comes back.

Borderfox posts mainly in photograpy and has some great shots there.
    Odd post. Yay.

I moved above Hagar, but only because he stepped down from modding.
    Post of the day seems to be split between Poker, AH and Humour.
    By logic, those who post regularly in those forum will have a higher thank count.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    I actually meant to say photography instead of humour, but I'm drunk.
    I was wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Interesting that most people on it are mods.

Hardly surprising given that this forum is a mod thankfest.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,307 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

deadhead13 wrote: »
    Hardly surprising given that this forum is a mod thankfest.

Is that because:

a) Many mods are prolific posters and therefore are more likely to have posts thanked?
    b) A lot of mods actually are helpful and give useful advice or opinions which are more likely to be thanked?
    c) The Mod Conspiracy?
    d) All of the above?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Conspiracy, definitely the conspiracy..:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Is that because:

a) Many mods are prolific posters and therefore are more likely to have posts thanked?
    b) A lot of mods actually are helpful and give useful advice or opinions which are more likely to be thanked?
    c) The Mod Conspiracy?
    d) All of the above?

(e) None of the above, just a lame joke attempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭shamblertine

Is that because:

c) The Mod Conspiracy?
    d) All of the above?

Nope its simply because theres a collection of brown nosers out there who thank mods when they close threads and ban users. Quite sickening to see, as someone else said before, its like in a football match when a ref sends someone off and the opposing team players clap the ref or pat him on the back. Mods shouldn't be able to receive thanks, if you removed their thanks from banning people/closing threads the wouldn't even feature in the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Nope its simply because theres a collection of brown nosers out there who thank mods when they close threads and ban users. Quite sickening to see, as someone else said before, its like in a football match when a ref sends someone off and the opposing team players clap the ref or pat him on the back. Mods shouldn't be able to receive thanks, if you removed their thanks from banning people/closing threads the wouldn't even feature in the list.

Pighead - not a mod
    MagicMarker - not a mod
    Me - on that list long before I became a mod
    Homer - not a mod
    Turd Ferguson - not a mod
    Stovelid - not a mod
    Steve - on that list before he became a mod
    dr. bollocko - on that list before he became a mod
    rocky25 - not a mod
    Mairt - on that list before he became a mod
    Galvasean - mods palaeontology. How often do you reckon he bans/closes threads?
    Mike65 - hasn't been a mod since thanks system came in
    Frada - not a mod
    Sharpshooter - not a mod
    snyper - not a mod
    Borderfox - not a mod
    Overheal - not a mod
    LuckyLloyd - on there before he became a mod
    Sherifu - not a mod
    shellyboo - not a mod

So that's at least 20 people on that list who aren't on that list due to having their mod actions thanked. Did you ever think that maybe the people who get thanked a lot are good contributors or on the site a lot.

The kind of person who would get thanked a lot is the kind of person who might get asked to moderate a forum. Not the other way around.

Any chance you're just talking through your arse and you've just got a big chip on your shoulders about mods?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

I shall thank jb, just to annoy ovaltine, or whatever his name is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to ad weight to Javaboys post, I believe I've only ever been thanked once for a ban / thread closure here.

I defy you to find any more.

eVeNtInE wrote: »
    Yeah but this time he's only thanking even posts :pac:

javaboy wrote: »

So that's at least 20 people on that list who aren't on that list due to having their mod actions thanked. Did you ever think that maybe the people who get thanked a lot are good contributors or on the site a lot.

The kind of person who would get thanked a lot is the kind of person who might get asked to moderate a forum. Not the other way around.

Any chance you're just talking through your arse and you've just got a big chip on your shoulders about mods?

You completely missed my point. I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with someone getting thanks or having a high thank count, I like the thanks system and I'm in favour of it.

My point was that the reason mods feature on the list of most thanked people is because of brown-nosers thanking them for locking threads and banning people. For that reason, posts by mods where they lock a thread or ban someone (which usually involves some smarmy smug comment by the mod, like that comment you just made to me) should not be thankable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

You completely missed my point. I wasn't saying there is anything wrong with someone getting thanks or having a high thank count, I like the thanks system and I'm in favour of it.

My point was that the reason mods feature on the list of most thanked people is because of brown-nosers thanking them for locking threads and banning people. For that reason, posts by mods where they lock a thread or ban someone (which usually involves some smarmy smug comment by the mod, like that comment you just made to me) should not be thankable.

And I gave examples of some people whose position on that list cannot be attributed to their being mods.

Now isn't it just possible that some of the people on that list who are mods and have been for a long time also happen to be the type of person who would get thanked anyway? Can you see past your anti-mod bias long enough to consider that possibility? Are you willing to admit that some of the mods on that list aren't there because their bans/locks get circle-jerked?

For what it's worth though. I would be perfectly happy to see posts where a mod posts with their mod hat on being unthankable. From a technical point of view, it's just not worth the hassle though.

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    And I gave examples of some people whose position on that list cannot be attributed to their being mods.

Now isn't it just possible that some of the people on that list who are mods and have been for a long time also happen to be the type of person who would get thanked anyway? Can you see past your anti-mod bias long enough to consider that possibility? Are you willing to admit that some of the mods on that list aren't there because their bans/locks get circle-jerked?

For what it's worth though. I would be perfectly happy to see posts where a mod posts with their mod hat on being unthankable. From a technical point of view, it's just not worth the hassle though.

Your going off on a tangent and coming out with irrelevant points about me being anti-mod. Yes I am sure a few mods might be on the list regardless of their bans/lock posts, but the vast majority wouldn't be there if it wasn't for their ban/lock posts.

And it would be fairly simple in my opinion for cult to add an option when mods are making posts to remove the thanks function for that particular post. I think the way you so readily dismiss it as undoable speaks volumes.

Advertisement