Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

window replacement: weatherglaze v fairco v rationel

Options
  • 16-03-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I am replacing 4 single-glazed aluminium windows with double glazed windows. So far, I've gotten the following quotes for this job (supply and fitting):

Weatherglaze (uPVC): EUR 2,186
    Fairco (uPVC): EUR 4,492
    Rationel (timber): 3,117

I've read that Rationel is really expensive, so I'm really surprised their quote isn't that much more than Weatherglaze PVC and is LESS than Fairco PVC! I thought timber windows were 2-3x more expensive than PVC and were supposed to be the best option...

Of course, the uPVC suppliers insist their product is superior from an insulation and security point of view, and the timber suppliers all insist their product is superior for the same reasons, so I'm completely confused at the moment. If anyone has an advice/opinion on PVC vs. timber or any of the above suppliers, I'd be very grateful for some insight...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Liamon

Hi Handyman,

You sound like you know about windows so...maybe you could tell me whether Aluminium or PVC is better for a porch. I got a quote for a PVC porch and when the guy came to measure up he said that aluminium is better for a porch as PVC is too bendy. Is that true or is he trying to pawn me off with a cheaper product?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jajaja

Dont go with Fairco, that is all I want to say. I should have done some research before going with them !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Did you try Wright Windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Have you tried Munster joinery, they are usually hard to beat, but stay clear of their timber products, just not suitable for our climate.

We have timber, they look great, but they are only 4 years old and already need sanding and re varnishing in places. We also had one timber door replaced due to weathering. I would go PVC if doing it again.

Advertisement