Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labret Piercing Procedure Questions

Options
  • 16-03-2009 9:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭

I'm going to get my labret done after much deliberation.

However I'm a nerd. I need to know EXACTLY what happens before I book it, and get it done(the more graphic the better here lads). Now, I was talking to a friend and she said the piercer will numb the area before they do it. Is this true?

Thanks in advance guys!!!

Inki_x

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭hot2def

I've never seen anyone numb it - plus it would surely be futile - since only the surfaces would be numb and not the interior?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Inkivaari

hot2def wrote: »
    I've never seen anyone numb it - plus it would surely be futile - since only the surfaces would be numb and not the interior?

Havent a clue! She said that it didn't hurt, but thats cos they numbed it. I'm very confused. She said its like the topical stuff they give you in the dentist. I myself have never heard of it being done, but it'd really help if they did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

"Numbing" is a placebo effect. only the top layer of skin is numbed. To actually numb the lip you would have to inject local anesthetic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I have never heard of a piercer using an anaesthetic, I honestly don't see the point anyway for the sake of (maybe) 7 seconds of pain. It was the sorest of my piercings but thats just my own experience. He marked the point and showed it to me in the mirror so that I was happy with the positioning, then clamped my lower lip and got a needle and pushed up through my lip, fixed the piercing and pulled out again and screwed the ball onto the bar. Very quick. Follow his/her instructions to a T and stay away from beer as the yeast will swell it up. Same as with a tongue piercing. Best of luck with it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

There's no real need to get it numbed. It doesn't hurt alot. Your piercer in most cases won't numb where they'll pierce. Something about it taking longer to heal afterwards.

Note, these are not exact steps. Just the general ones that I've seen piercers use through my time getting pierced.
    Step 1; your piercer will go over everything in detail with you, and answer any questions you may have.
    Step 2;Piercer will glove up, and prepare anything s/he will need throughout(needles, clamps, tissue, alcohol wipes/iodine, recieving tube),the needles will probably all be removed from their sterile packaging in front of you when needed.
    Step 3;Gloves changed. Location of spot to be pierced marked with a disposable pen or toothpick dipped in ink. You'll probably get asked if that location is all right, or ask to see it. It can be moved.
    Step 4; Needle removed from packaging. The piercer will clamp your lip, get you to breath in/out a few times. On an exhale, the needle will get pushed through, followed by the recieving tube. You will feel a sharp pressure. This is short lived, and your body will start pushing endorphins through your system, making any pain go away, aswell as making you feel happy. Jewellery pulled through the piercing by the recieving tube.

And thats pretty much it. Congrats.

Where are you going to get it done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Inkivaari

I need to ring around, but i've heard nothing but good things about Impulse in Maynooth. My friend got her bellybutton done there and she had nothing but good things to say bout them.

Any recommendations?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Just a few other points to add to LD50...

The piercer should check for veins and the like while they are marking your piercing. They should also account for tooth and gum erosion by placing the back hole above or around the teeth. The piercer may use a clamp to help them. You should think about getting pierced with a stud instead of a ring, it's much easier to heal. They should use a pretty long bar, to account for swelling. Keep some Ibuprofen / Nurofen handy a few hours afterwards incase the swelling gets bad. I can't think of anything else right now!

Advertisement