Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apartment block fire Regulations

• 16-03-2009 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hello, have tried to search forum to find an answer . does anyone know if the fire regulations require a smoke/heat detector in each apartment. I assume the answer is yes. But can it be in the egress route (apartment hallway) or would there have to be one in the kitchen area. Do the regulations require 2 detectors one in egress route and one at kitchen?.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

3 detectors min

1. heat detector in kitchen
    2. smoke detector in hallway

Both co linked dedicated only to the apartment

3. heat detector in hallway - part of "landlords" system which extends in from shared areas fire alarm system

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lodger222

Thanks for reply, Is that reccommended or is it regulation to have 2 detectors in apartment. This is a purpose built block. We have one detector in apartment hallway but none in kitchen. There are also detectors in common areas.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

sinnerboy wrote: »
    3 detectors min

3. heat detector in hallway - part of "landlords" system which extends in from shared areas fire alarm system

Agree with 1 + 2 but 3 is not required, again it depends on layout , fire officer & shared escape route or not.
    LD1 grade D to Apartments and L3 to common escape routes.
    PS your pproved fire cert drawings & report should have this clearly marked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭iseethelight

sinnerboy wrote: »
    3 detectors min

Hi
    I have an apartment bought in 2005. Where in the kitchen is the heat detector and what does it look like. I have the one in the hallway and the main landlord one ok but haven't noticed anything in the kitchen,plus it gets quite hot and nothing goes off unless I leave the living room door open.
    Are you sure its a regulation.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭lodger222

Thanks again, but just confused what is the difference between LD1 and LD2 . The building must have been passed before apartments were sold. Maybe the regulations were upgraded in the last 10 years making this block out of date. There is only 1 detector in the apartment hallway and none in the kitchen. If that is the situation , is it required by law to upgrade the alarm system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    PS your pproved fire cert drawings & report should have this clearly marked.

not always, I have done a large number of fire certs for apartments,(100+ application) throughout the country and was never asked to indicate the location of the detectors on a drawing, other than state the standard, to which the fire detection system would be designed in accordance with.
    Hi
    I have an apartment bought in 2005. Where in the kitchen is the heat detector and what does it look like. I have the one in the hallway and the main landlord one ok but haven't noticed anything in the kitchen,plus it gets quite hot and nothing goes off unless I leave the living room door open.
    Are you sure its a regulation.
    Thank
    depending on when the apartment was built it, the apartment could be in compliance with the regulations at the time of construction. I know at one stage back a number of years ago, some fire officers were happy with a basic system that had no fire detection what's soever within the individual apartments.I know even then our policy was to have fire detection within apartments connected to the buildings fire detection system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

archtech wrote: »
    not always, I have done a large number of fire certs for apartments,(100+ application) throughout the country and was never asked to indicate the location of the detectors on a drawing, other than state the standard, to which the fire detection system would be designed in accordance with.

I'm just talking about my own experience and my local fire department, they require that all fire detection is shown on drawings backed up with the standards and reports. They are a tough bunch, after a few years it has just become standard for me to do with all applications regardless of which authority I was applying to. Again thats why I said it depends on the the fire officer your dealing with, it varies country wide. I think this question can only be answered by the person/firm who done the application. In my opinion an LD1 should be used in all apartments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

archtech wrote: »

depending on when the apartment was built it, the apartment could be in compliance with the regulations at the time of construction. I know at one stage back a number of years ago, some fire officers were happy with a basic system that had no fire detection what's soever within the individual apartments.I know even then our policy was to have fire detection within apartments connected to the buildings fire detection system.

The requirements of various Fire Authorities vary as to what is required to be shown on drawings, I always indicate smoke and heat detectors for the simple reason that the builder then cannot use the excuse it wasnt on the drawing!!!:D In mayo they currently insist on a smoke detector in the hallway of the apartment linked to the main building alarm system and a free standing heat detector in the kitchen, so you dont call out the fire brigade to some burning toast!! (can't remember what classification that is, bloody alzimers!!:D)

Advertisement