Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dispatches : Pakistans Taliban Generation

Options
  • 16-03-2009 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭

On channel 4 at the mo, brilliant documentary on how the Taliban are recruited in Pakistan, etc. I reckon you'll be able to get it on channel 4 OD.

Very biased mind you (anti Taliban) but Id recommend it, the reporter is Pakistani and she grew up in the city where the slums they recruit from are.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I saw it, it was quite good, important to report,

Poverty is giving the extreme element the upper hand in my opinion and the way the Pakistani/US are fighting this doesn't help, one escalation leads to another.

The Pakistani Govt grip on things seems very tenuous to me, For the sake of the moderates there the Military govt better hand some power back as the alternatives is a cause for serious concern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

thread is pretty old so i'll just adress it genrally (and its pre may 2009 conflict) any links on the documentary?

im from pakistan, and we actully dont know where there funds come from (believing they come from the herion is pretty gaulliable at best)

and anyone who has a turban and a beared and has ever fired a hunting rifle before can apply to become a commander, and he'll be given a air conditioned land cruiser prado, along with other perks such as a wad of cash and a pension plan for his family in case of death.

he'll basically control about 50-60 troops, and answer to other folk higher up the food chain (we dont really know who "the sun" is in the food chain, its probably not osama bin laden or someone we have ever heard of before)

Advertisement