Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice with choosing wireless router

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I suspect that the netgear DG834 you linked is on special because it is not an ADSL2+ product.....although in its own right, it's a great piece of kit.

There are several versions of the DG834 which are ADSL2+ and you'd be better off sticking with one of those.

If you want to stick with Netgear, have a look at the DGN2000-UKS if range of coverage is an issue. You'll find it for well under €100 if you look around.

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is it DSL or cable/wireless broadband that you have? You'll either want a router with or without DSL modem, depending on what you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

Thanks for the replies.

I am having wireless broadband installed in my house, but the company do not supply a router to create a wifi signal in the house. So i need to purchase a router to do this. I am unsure which to go for, or what to go for so i need some advice?

I'd assumed you were being connected via Eircom because the Netgear product you quoted is a Modem/Router.

The Linksys WRT54 is firmware upgradeable and you can pick them up on Ebay for small enough money.

Have a look at www.dd-wrt.com to see what routers can be upgraded. The upgrades allow you to have more control over the router. In the case of the WRT-54, older models tend to be more easily upgraded because they had more memory to start with (initially 16Mb, but current models only have 4Mb).

There's quite a bit about this on Wikipedia.....

E

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The Netgear is recommended for marginal lines .

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

The interface/functionality is complete cack compared to DD-WRT but if your Noise Margin is low ( c 8-10db) it can help stabilise the line .

exaisle knows her/his stuff, welcome to the BB forum :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Amateur

I think i have confused things.

All i need is a wireless router with an Ethernet WAN port to enable my laptop pick up a wifi signal.

So, I am now looking at purchasing the NETGEAR WGR614 - http://www.dabs.ie/productview.aspx?Quicklinx=2HZ6

Is this good value? Or is there a more "modern" version with extra capabilities available?

OR

Is this better?

Edimax WiFi 802.11n Broadband Router
    http://www.dabs.ie/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=5D86

It supports 802.11n which the netgear does not, (g/b).

Have a look at item #130294234132 on ebay. This would suit your purpose ideally. I've checked with the seller (with whom I have NO connection whatsoever) and it's version 2.2 which is easily upgradeable. If you buy it, go here:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com and learn how to flash-upgrade it.

That will turn your €30 router from a morris minor into a rolls royce. The upgrade adds features that are only usually available in routers for several times that price.

Another nice feature of this router is that you can change the antennae which will increase the range (and you can boost the output power if you upgrade). I've bought and installed half a dozen of these babies for friends and family. They all do exactly what it says on the tin.

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭tommmy1979

Guys and Girls,

I need you to recommend me a router too..

I've a netopia eircom router at the moment and my download speed is only 1mb and thats not going to improve anytime in the near future:(.

1mb is part of the problem, my housemate is hogging all the bandwidth with his downloading habit so i want more control over whats coming and going.

1. I'd like to be able to password protect the interface/controls (you know the 192.168.1.254 thing) so that i can lock the settings.

2. I'd like to be able block certain websites.

3. I'd like to be able to cap his download/upload speed to his laptop, phone and ps3.

I'd greatly appreciate any help.

Cheers

T

Advertisement