Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone banking on science?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Just curious, I kept reading that there was a serious lack of graduates for the area, and I thought all the better I might be able to get a job in my area of interest. Nothing else really holds the appeal for me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

yep me 2 everyone one of my courses is a science one!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

I originally wanted to do Science in Trinity but then decided to be more specific so I'm planning on doing TP now. Science is now my second choice and it's at a nice easy to reach spot so if I don't get TP, I don't mind doing Science.

From what I've heard though, there's a lot of contrasting opinions. Some say there's little jobs while some say there's a huge variety since scientists inherit numerous skills. I really don't know though but what I do know is that I should definitely pick something that interests me. I'm sure you will be able to find a job with the degree. Else what do all those science graduates do with theirs?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Heggy

Well, didn't mean the science course specifically, I meant the field as a whole.
    I know that a lot of people have gotten degrees, and while they got jobs, often they weren't in the subject they had done, they were employed just because they had degrees. Though I don't know if that really applied to the science ones, it could have been the arts students.
    And it wasn't about not getting the job really, it was more about getting a well-paid one.
    I'm also thinking about pure maths now, form a thread I saw, people seemed to get jobs in some interesting places (NASA etc). Whether the jobs themselves were interesting I don't know.
    I'm sticking with advanced materials in Trinity for the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, my dad works (in television) with a guy who has a degree in microbiology... Having a science degree is obviously going to stand to you should you look for a job outside the field (and not to mention the obligatory "you must have some degree to work this job, we don't care which").
    I'd say, working in x field will be interesting if, surprisingly enough, you're interested in x field, so definitely study that which interests you. Job prospects etc. will come later. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

I want to do Science because I like it, and I'm interested in it. Career prospects are a concern but my main motivation is doing something that I'd enjoy and want to learn about.

• Advertisement

I'd say, working in x field will be interesting if, surprisingly enough, you're interested in x field, so definitely study that which interests you. Job prospects etc. will come later. tongue.gif
    I want to do Science because I like it, and I'm interested in it. Career prospects are a concern but my main motivation is doing something that I'd enjoy and want to learn about.

I am choosing science because I enjoy it. People always ask me though, what sort of job do I hope to get out of it and my reply is usually,"ah, something in research probably".

Career prospects are always in the back of my mind, but who knows what the world will be like in 4, 6 or 7 years, depending on how much I go for. We'll see how it works out, and maybe I'll see some of you Science people at Trinity? :D

Heggy wrote: »
    maybe I'll see some of you Science people at Trinity? :D

With any luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭GlasnevinRed

I'll see some of you Science people at Trinity? :D

Couldn't recommend the course more. I did the LC last year and every single one of my options on the CAO was Science related, mainly because I love it and also heard reports saying it's one of the few areas where job numbers are increasing.

I haven't picked the general Science course, but the more specific one of Physics and Chemistry of Advanced Materials, but the first two years are mostly the same as the general one. :D
    It's good to hear it recommended though.

Loads of the Science courses in Trinity are pretty similar to General Science. Good luck with the exams anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭fasterkitten

The job prospects with a science degree, even a few years ago, are DISMAL and that's with the honours degree. One unhappy sod I knew wanted to finish up after three years with a general degree and asked the careers counselor at UCD what careers would be open to him. The reply? Work in Mc Donalds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

The job prospects with a science degree, even a few years ago, are DISMAL and that's with the honours degree. One unhappy sod I knew wanted to finish up after three years with a general degree and asked the careers counselor at UCD what careers would be open to him. The reply? Work in Mc Donalds.

Our physics teacher told us to stay away from science degrees. He said that scientists are completely undervalued in this country and that only the cream do well out of it. He was sent a book about all the physics courses available and they had student profiles in them. Every single one of them went abroad after their degree. I mean EVERYONE! He told us if we wanted to do physics, to do engineering instead because it is the basically the same thing with better prospects.

On a side, the chemistry teacher in our school told his class that the good Uni students went on to do research and the wasters became science teachers!

However I still think that people should choose a course because they are genuinely interested in it, not because there are good job prospects out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Homicidal_jesus

I am choosing science because I enjoy it. People always ask me though, what sort of job do I hope to get out of it and my reply is usually,"ah, something in research probably".

We'll see how it works out, and maybe I'll see some of you Science people at Trinity? :D

Ha im exactly the same no idea what field i want to go into!!
    Ya wont seeing me!!!UCC fo me with any luck!!

Delta Kilo wrote:
    He was sent a book about all the physics courses available and they had student profiles in them. Every single one of them went abroad after their degree.

I was kind of hoping to do that anyway. :D
    Ha im exactly the same no idea what field i want to go into!!
    Ya wont seeing me!!!UCC fo me with any luck!!

I know the field, just not the career. :D
    Loads of the Science courses in Trinity are pretty similar to General Science. Good luck with the exams anyway.

Thank you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Most (not all) science degrees will require you to have further training either on the job or post graduate. This is not something most career guidance will actually tell you. Bear this in mind. Most who graduated with me (science) either went on to do a post grad or totally diversified out of science.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    On a side, the chemistry teacher in our school told his class that the good Uni students went on to do research and the wasters became science teachers!

What a bloody awful thing to say!!! It's bloody hard become a science teacher in Ireland.

Most (not all) science degrees will require you to have further training either on the job or post graduate. This is not something most career guidance will actually tell you.

That's something I've thought about also, when I looked around, almost all research jobs that were going asked for people with phDs. I think it would be interesting provided I haven;t tired of the whole thing by the end of the higher degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

Hey guys! Im doing science in Trinity at the moment so if any of you need questions answered, feel free to ask!

I would say a science degree is incredibly valuable, its also very open if you're not sure what you want to do! However prepare for incredibly long hours, its not a walk in the park either! First year science in tcd has 32 hours a week. I didnt know that before I started the course and it is also one of the highest failing/drop out courses in the country!

I would say a science degree is incredibly valuable, its also very open if you're not sure what you want to do! However prepare for incredibly long hours, its not a walk in the park either! First year science in tcd has 32 hours a week. I didnt know that before I started the course and it is also one of the highest failing/drop out courses in the country!

So all the prospectuses/info I have gotten is a lie?

They all say around 24 hours a week, that said I don't really mind, science is something I like and enjoy studying so it wont be the end of the world :)

Yeah, the one I picked says only 21 hours. But yeah I won't mind too much either. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭seacláid-te

Fad wrote: »

They all say around 24 hours a week, that said I don't really mind, science is something I like and enjoy studying so it wont be the end of the world :)

24 hours is a definitely a lie!!! Although it was reduced to 27 hours this semester!! Its pretty much 9-6 guys!!

Fad wrote: »

He's telling the truth. If you like science though it's all good.
    Saying that though this 3 weeks off now is handy. :D

Advertisement