Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Church - House conversion

• 16-03-2009 10:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭

Hello all,
    I`m looking for information and wondering if anyone can help out.
    I`m thinking of buying an old decomissioned church and converting it into a house.
    i knw its a whopper of a task.
    its a grade b1 listed building so I know that any changes are going to be difficult, and the exterior`s gotta remain the same.i`m looking for info on council tax (its in the north of ireland) and tinterwebs is proving useless.
    i`m looking to see if anyone can point me in the right direction of whats needed.also difficulties involved.
    i know its along the lines of buying christchurch and turning it into a hotel but any info is appreciated
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Im on my phone now but il get to this tomorrow.

if you takle this i hope you have deep pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Hello OP.

Outside the planning and taxes of this project the biggest tasks you will face is obviously trying to integrate what the planning authority want and trying to make this a home inside.

You are going to have an unmerciful heating bill, so the fabrication you choose needs to be chosen carefully, wheather you will need to meet current energy regulations or not you will need to make this building energy efficent in order to be able to keep the cost of heating it reasonable..

You would be advised to get a good structural engineer to examine and do a report on the structural element of the building. I emphasise good engineer because ive had my run ins with engineers that have given poor advice due to inexpierence or simple incompitence.

Its likely the building needs to be re roofed, if it has a roof you can reuse the natural slate on it, if it doesnt you will be more than likely required to use natural slate which in itself is very costly.

Some times and in many cases it can be much cheaper to construct a building from new rather than refurbishing the building, which obviously in this case is not possible, so the extra cost you face is for the unique character of the building itself.

You need to, before you purchase the property decide what you want from it ie - the energy rating you need to achieve, the heating system and the internal design of the building - consult an energy assessor and take this information to your proposed builder. With the information from this, you need to consult a reputable quantity surveyor who will give you a costing on taking on such a task.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

The existing church is in Northern Ireland and is therefore subject to their Planning laws, Building control etc. Their BER system is quite different to ours, as are a number of their Building Regulations.

Discuss the project fully with the local Planner and Heritage Officier to determine what changes if any will be allowed to the interior and exterior of the listed church. These discussions will be very important and should commence before you decide to purchase the church.

Retain a local Building Surveyor to determine the works required for refurbishment - roofing, underpinning etc.

It is possible, with proper design, to refurbish a church and in so doing creating a warm, modern unique home. Good luck

Advertisement