Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Law less Ireland

Options
  • 16-03-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭

Anyone watch it tonight? What did you thinK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heard nothing about it. Is there a link anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

It was on TV3 not sure about links :o

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

Anything relating to sport shooting and/or the legal ownership of firearms?

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=lawlessireland

Alot about gun crime here. At one point saying the guns were all been imported then saying how handguns were licenced here and how they might be stolen from homes etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Was it painting us in a negative light?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Was it painting us in a negative light?

No,

If anything i think it did us good, It showed how hard it was to get a permit, And that the pistol permits only make up like 2% of all firearms in the state. Aswell as that he showed a .22 Pistol and said " Its very heavy and hard to hold " something to that effect.

But then it went on to show someone they interviewed bashing "Glocks/Sigs" even tho mins before hand it showed someone from the state saying the pistols are coming in with the drug shippments.

Des had a bit to say and he did us good, Far play to you. He was telling them how when england banned pistols it did nothing, and in fact that gun crime is up 400%.

All in all i think it was a good show. I will try get a link online for you lot and post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Solidchrome

Blazher wrote: »
    No,

He was telling them how when england banned pistols it did nothing, and in fact that gun crime is up 400%.

I remember that well :mad:

The gun club I was in closed because of the change of law and like you quoted, all it did was make law abiding sports people unable to own a firearm while the criminal element got better access to weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

des was to the point and had his facts right not just hear say.
    well done to him .
    gun crime is beyond the guards they just dont want to know ,there in well paid cushy job full of there own self importance.
    were the handy targets we dont shoot,stab or kick the shxt out of them.

the weapons that were on law less to nite will tell you one thing ,the Gardie may have a rethink its not our firearms they should be worried about

But on a side note,

It was good to see the ERU got some new firepower and Equipment.

Brand new MP7s with Tactical Dot sights. All the gear looked so new it was still shining :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

jwshooter wrote: »
    gun crime is beyond the guards they just dont want to know ,there in well paid cushy job full of there own self importance.
    I don't think it is fair to make comments like this, some jobs may be cushy but a garda's job can be very unpleasant.
    Waking a parent at 3am to tell them to ID a dead child would not be cushy in my book.
    and I don't think it is the Gardai who had a problem with handgun ownership more the Minister reacting to media pressure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I don't think it is fair to make comments like this, some jobs may be cushy but a garda's job can be very unpleasant.
    Waking a parent at 3am to tell them to ID a dead child would not be cushy in my book.
    and I don't think it is the Gardai who had a problem with handgun ownership more the Minister reacting to media pressure.

Very true CJ, not that many Gardai will have a problem with the exact spec of hardware licenced. Their prime concern, and rightly so, is the person looking to get a firearm licenced and what they want it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

I have to agree CJ-the post is in very bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

the minister is only acting from pressure from faicna murphy and his advisory board .they are the ones that are pulling his strings .

the minister has enough on his plate with out worried about firearms that are not causing any problems in the first place.
    there is thousands of illegally held guns on our streets

just read some of if not all the posts about licences on boards the gardai are causing problems when they not .

im not anti gardai far from it .but crime is rampant in this country its out of control .
    94 murders and only 7 solved one in ten .
    if the tax was out on the car or jeep i would not bring it onto the road .

they may grow a pair and hit the problems where they are and stop looking for the soft targets ,us .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Saw it the other nite thought it wasn't as neative towards us as recent media coverage, maybe they got a bollocking or they are actually learning

Saw it the other nite thought it wasn't as neative towards us as recent media coverage, maybe they got a bollocking or they are actually learning

I wouldn't say its learning, Because they still call every black pistol a Glock/Sig!

They do know that they are not the same right? :D

Anyways i so agree, With all the stuf of late. This was good for us. It would have been nice if they spoke to a shooter or two tho while they where at the range.

But again Des did great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,472 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

The Glock bashing will continue, but I was pleased with the treatment of target pistols. It seems neither the politician nor the programme itself had a total ban agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

[quote=bunny shooter;maybe they got a bollocking or they are actually learning[/quote]

It's TV3 though rather than RTE and the complaints to the BCC concerning the Primetime feature weren't upheld as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Fair play to Des for putting across the facts straight and to the point.
    Neutral enough,but still trying to link ligit gunownership with crime.Especially that FG twit Deasy obviously still hasnt learned anything in these last months.:rolleyes:
    First time watching this show and TBH they are trying to sensationalise and exploit the problem.I mean the StormFront website and the Neo Nazi problem...FFS the way they were going on,you would almost be expecting hordes of Brownshirts to be marching past the GPO singing the Horst Wessel leid.:rolleyes:
    Intresting too this line about the Gardai having no problems with .22 pistols.. This is echoing the GRA conference of May 2008.Same time Min Aherne came out with his "concern" speil about the amount of handguns being in circulation...Wonder is there a coded message here??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Wonder is there a coded message here?
    Like "do more PR or lose out" you mean?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

More like..You might be better off with a .22 than anything else...

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    crime.Especially that FG twit Deasy obviously still hasnt learned anything in these last months.:rolleyes:

He was the one doing most of the bashing. The rest of the guests where fine.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    More like..You might be better off with a .22 than anything else...

The impression i got was " gives us your big stuff and we will give you a few .22s "

I also got the impression that the only shooting sport they are interested in is the olympic kind.

I asked my super if I could get a .22 pistol instead of the 9mm I had applied for. Question caught him off abit and he said for me to wait until after the new bills inacted:confused:

So was he unsure himself? He did tell me the only pistols that were to be licenced were "olympic stuff" and asked me what caliber that was. So will it only be olympic style pistols or will it be olympic caliber?

chem wrote: »
    So will it only be olympic style pistols or will it be olympic caliber?
    No-one really knows and we hope it's not as straightforward as that anyway.

Sparks can it be writen into law that only a style/type of pistol can be licenced? Has it been done anywhere else in the world?

It would seem to me very hard to put into law. Most countries seem to go by caliber when it comes to the law on firearms.

Could it be done? Of course it could, it'd be trivial. Has it been done for just a single make and model, I don't think so. California and Canada have lists of makes and models that are permitted, but there are multiple makes and models on it.

Advertisement