Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Broadway shows advice?

Options
  • 16-03-2009 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm off to New York next week, and will be looking for cut price tickets on the following musicals.

I'll have the friday night there, saturday matinee and evening, and Sunday evening. Maximum of four shows, probably three. The possibilities are:
    Happiness, In The heights, The Fantasticks, Naked Boys Singing and Billy Elliott.
    I figure Naked Boys Singing, Billy Elliot, and I'm leaning towards Happiness, but I know nothing about that or the other two.

Has anyone seen Happiness, The Fantasticks or In The Heights?
    Any of them remarkably sh1t or amazing?
    All info appreciated.
    Cheers,
    WP.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Ok forget discounts on Billy E it's the hotest ticket in NYC at the moment. It's an amazing show and I'm dying to see what they've done to it for the US market.

In the Heights has some great music, it's a modern story and couldn't be more different to The Fantasticks (think the song "Try to Remember") but both have their merits. Don't know anything about happiness but my friends love Naked Boys Singing. For discounted tickets on these three shows check out www.broadwaybox.com where you can prebook discounted seats without the queues at TKTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

Hey, cheers for the link, that's pretty sweet.
    I've since found out that 39 Steps isn't finished its run as I'd been informed, so it's that, NBS! and probably Happiness, although we'll see if listening to the soundtrack of In The Heights will convince me otherwise.
    Cheers for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

The Thirty Nine Steps was hilarious, four actors playing about fifty different characters, very fast paced and entertaining. I also ended up seeing Altar Boyz, an off Broadway musical. American Evangelism meets boy bands, bloody hilarious except for the damned aircon which was set on Arctic it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

For anyone thinking about what to see, I would recommend 9 to 5: The Musical. It didn't get great reviews in the press, but I really enjoyed it, and the three leading ladies were fantastic. Alison Janney from The West Wing plays Violet, and there was a Dolly doppelganger in Megan Hilty (once Glinda) on stage too! Vocally, I thought Stephanie J Block (once Elphaba) who played Judy was the best of them, but maybe I was comparing Megan Hilty to Dolly too much. The set design was excellent, and the choreography and music had Dolly stamped all over them. Great show, and lots of availability on TKTS thanks to those reviews, though the theatre was full on the night we were there.

Advertisement