Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Impression of Metal Fans

• 17-03-2009 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anybody here has been picked on / abused for liking rock and metal?
    I've lost count of the number of times I got "Weirdo!" or "satanist!" (:rolleyes:) shouted at me because of how I dressed (band hoodies/ t-shirts, etc) as a teenager. I suppose I don't really dress like that anymore ( not because of idiots shouting stuff at me, just personal taste, I guess) but still get the "Wow, really?" reaction when I tell people what music I like (for example, I wore my Pantera hoodie to college one day, and several of my classmates felt the need to comment to me about how "I can't believe you like that sort of band, you're so nice,etc, etc!":pac:).

So do you think people have the wrong idea about what metal fans are like? Have you ever gotten abuse over the way you dress or your music taste?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That still happens? Ah its good to know some things don't change though I never bought into the whole "look", and so could pass un-noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Mehhh not really i wouldn't wear any clothes that you would associate with metal yet when people look at my ipod and see it filled with In Flames, COB, Soilwork, ATR etc they kind of shrug it off. The best reply i got was "Oh my dad is a huge metal head" :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I'm a primary school teacher, I dress fairly conservative. I met up with one of the staff and her hubby (huge metal fan) at Priest Feast in stripy tights, pink mini kilt, black and glitter eye make up ... jumping around, rocking out, giving myself whiplash like a crazy person. Hilarious! No one expects me to like that kind of music at work.

I used to be all black nail varnish, eyeliner, pink/purple hair, Metallica hoodies and constantly with earphones in. Lecturers didn't approve much in teacher training college. Closed minded feckers. Obviously I'd tone it all down for practices but I had to do a complete overhaul; nice Abercrombie and blonde highlights. Hmm now I'm a role model. :rolleyes:

I feel too old to dress metally, unless its for a gig then I go all out just for fun. I still love Guitar Hero and all that stuff, would love to be pierced and tattooed. I'll never grow out of loving metal and rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Of course I've gotten a bit of abuse for wearing band tshirts and Doc Martens and the like but that never really bothers me.

What does bother me is the fact that for every job interview I do, I have to take out all piercings, cover up tattoos and dress normally. Some people may say that interviewers aren't allowed refuse you a job on the basis of your appearance but, in my opinion, a fair amount do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭OK-Cancel-Apply

Acacia wrote: »
    I wore my Pantera hoodie to college one day, and several of my classmates felt the need to comment to me about how "I can't believe you like that sort of band, you're so nice,etc, etc!":pac:).

Geeze that's F*cking Hostile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

i still wear band t-shirts occasionally and still get funny looks. combo that with a beard and tattoos and the usual line is "aren't you a bit old for that sort of thing?". i'm only 34 ffs,i'll still be wearing this **** at 64.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Used to get a few comments about my hair when it was longer, just ignore it really

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Geeze that's F*cking Hostile!

Those classmates should have held their mouth for the war, used it for what its for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, can't say I've gotten any comments or anything of the sort for a long time.

Those classmates should have held their mouth for the war, used it for what its for.

Oh man not another one of these threads! What have I started...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

I still get grief for piercings and shaved head. Mind you, i have the best t-shirt I got at last years Whitby Goth Weekend which basically leaves a lot of people confused.

It's quite basic actually.

It's a black t-shirt
    It has white writing
    Simply saying
    "f@cking weirdo!"

I love it, proceeds for it went to charity too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Not since I trimmed the middle of my beard
    weirdo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Acacia wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody here has been picked on / abused for liking rock and metal?
    I don't think I ever have unless I've deeply repressed some memories of abuse from my early years :).

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭starflake

Never been given a hard time.. well once when i was in secondary school on the way home on the school bus.. one of the skangers from the lads school sent me up a note from the back of the bus saying '' fuk off ya 'goot'' but that was really funny. IMHO noone worth while gives a flying fcuk what ya wear or what colour hair ya have.. noone past the age of 18 anyway :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nah was never really bothered when I was shool,but in my last job I put in a request for a day off and when my boss asked me was doing anything nice for the day,I told I was going to the slayer concert on in the marquee (excuse the spelling) and he said I can't believe you like that heavy metal muck :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I think people grow out of giving abuse over that sort of thing. Everyone matures eventually :D

Since I have long hair I dont get the whole surprised thing, people assume I'm into metal, but a couple of my mates would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Dr.Poca wrote: »
    I think people grow out of giving abuse over that sort of thing. Everyone matures eventually :D

If only that were true. I used to think the same, but it would appear not to be the case.

I have long hair down to my arse and wear band T-shirts quite alot, I quite frequently get abuse hurled at me, and am suprised to hear that many people don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

The only place I ever got abuse or smart comments for dressing like a metal fan, was in Dublin. I've never gotten any snide remarks down here in the sticks. It happened a lot more frequently when I was in college. I'm 25 now, and havent had anything said to me in quite some time. My mother sometimes remarks that maybe I should "grow out" of my style.

Thats certainly true, I have found that most Waterford people have a live and let live attitude, whereas in Dublin you'll get some kind of comment nearly every day, which is ironic, as you would think that the people in Dublin would be more open minded what with the greater mix of different types of people etc.

Thats certainly true, I have found that most Waterford people have a live and let live attitude, whereas in Dublin you'll get some kind of comment nearly every day, which is ironic, as you would think that the people in Dublin would be more open minded what with the greater mix of different types of people etc.

In some ways, Dublin seems to be a place where the greater the mix, the more closed minded people get. Lots of insecure people floating around these parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Couldn't agree more. Try being in a metal band and not having super long hair or looking like a typical "metalhead" You get to know all about who actually gives a **** about their image.

he said I can't believe you like that heavy metal muck :rolleyes:
    Ever notice that it's nearly always the people that listen to generic, disposable flavour of the month pop acts that dismiss rock and metal like that? People who truely appreciate music, regardless of genre, are rarely so closed-minded.
    I have long hair down to my arse and wear band T-shirts quite alot, I quite frequently get abuse hurled at me, and am suprised to hear that many people don't.
    Do you hang around in or travel through neighbourhoods that have lots of teenagers hanging around with nothing better to do or something?

I would travel through them quite often yeah, and I use public transport multiple times a day.

I would travel through them quite often yeah, and I use public transport multiple times a day.
    Oops, I forgot to ask about public transport in my previous post :). For whatever reason trains and buses seem to be a magnet for the special kind of muppet who has nothing better to do than make comments on someone else's appearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I don't think this kind of abuse goes on anymore personally because we outnumber the scumbags at this point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

malice_ wrote: »
    For whatever reason trains and buses seem to be a magnet for the special kind of muppet who has nothing better to do than make comments on someone else's appearance.

I think Unemployment assistance pays an extra 50Euro a week if you spend the entire time riding the bus to and from places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

I love quoting these articles when people make comments about heavy metal fans:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1546193/Heavy-metal-a-comfort-for-the-bright-child.html

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/03/070321130834.htm

http://www.newscientist.com/blog/shortsharpscience/2007/03/metalheads-are-stressed-boffins.html

Australians seem to be big hard rock & metal fans so I only get positive comments when wearing band shirts, especially my Bon Scott shirt ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Thats certainly true, I have found that most Waterford people have a live and let live attitude

I'm glad to hear it, it certainly wasn't like that when I was growing up! I never went for the 'image' but most of my friends did and did indeed get their fair share of abuse over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I can't say I've ever had any comments or abuse. Maybe it's because I don't particularly look like a metalhead (Except for long hair and a beard)

As for the impression that other people have of metalheads being greasy violent idiots, a few years back I brought a friend who never listened to metal to a metal gig, afterwards she commented: "I can't believe everyone was so nice"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

Happened a lot when I was younger (Living in ballymun y'know ? :pac:) Never happens these days though, the most I'd get would be a few looks. If I'm wearing my work clothes which would generally be a shirt and jeans and somebody asks me I'd usally get a "really ?!" in response more so now that i've cut my hair, nothing malicious though.

Advertisement