Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Impression of Metal Fans

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭HereticPrincess

Ah, the days of walking through Ballymun with New Rocks..
    Heore you, I love yer boots, yeh hippee / goth..

Feck off! Mad lil tracksuit heads haha :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Used to happen a lot when I had long hair way back in the early 90s.Living in Drimnagh wasnt the best choice for a rocker tbh.Regularly got beaten up aswell just for being "different" to a tracksuit and runner wearing scumbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Some interesting (and funny) replies so far!:D

Stev_o wrote: »
    The best reply i got was "Oh my dad is a huge metal head" :p

LOL. or my favorite "Yeah, my dad loves Lynard Skynard too, you two would really get on!" :pac:
    Lil Kitten wrote: »

I used to be all black nail varnish, eyeliner, pink/purple hair, Metallica hoodies and constantly with earphones in. Lecturers didn't approve much in teacher training college. Closed minded feckers. Obviously I'd tone it all down for practices but I had to do a complete overhaul; nice Abercrombie and blonde highlights. Hmm now I'm a role model. :rolleyes:

What does bother me is the fact that for every job interview I do, I have to take out all piercings, cover up tattoos and dress normally. Some people may say that interviewers aren't allowed refuse you a job on the basis of your appearance but, in my opinion, a fair amount do.

Yeah, this can be quite annoying- bosses/teachers/ whoever assuming you're not right for the job or are less responsible just because you wear black or have piercings and tattoos. It kinda puts me off getting piercings done (I want to get loads:p) because it will just be hassle to take them out again for my job.
    Geeze that's F*cking Hostile!
    Those classmates should have held their mouth for the war, used it for what its for.

Oh god, not puns! I hate puns! :pac:
    ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I still get grief for piercings and shaved head. Mind you, i have the best t-shirt I got at last years Whitby Goth Weekend which basically leaves a lot of people confused.

It's quite basic actually.

It's a black t-shirt
    It has white writing
    Simply saying
    "f@cking weirdo!"

I love it, proceeds for it went to charity too. :)

That's fcukin' brilliant! :D I also seen one once that said: "Keep Staring, I Might do a Trick!"
    If only that were true. I used to think the same, but it would appear not to be the case.

I have long hair down to my arse and wear band T-shirts quite alot, I quite frequently get abuse hurled at me, and am suprised to hear that many people don't.

That's really rough. I've gotten the same sort of abuse, some times just for having band badges or patches on my schoolbag. I don't understand why people feel the need to tell me they think a certain band is just 'noise' and they can't listen to them (mind you, they probably heard one Linkin Park song and think they're the expert on metal) or that I must be a 'mad mosher' (:rolleyes:). Why they think I give a fcuk about their opinion is beyond me.
    Nightwish wrote: »
    My mother sometimes remarks that maybe I should "grow out" of my style.

This is the thing. Usually people who shout abuse at randomers are the type to slag off anybody who is 'different', yet there is also a general mis-conception about metal. I've gotten the same stuff from my parents (still, at the age of twenty!:p) that it's just a 'phase' I'm going through.
    Couldn't agree more. Try being in a metal band and not having super long hair or looking like a typical "metalhead" You get to know all about who actually gives a **** about their image.

This is the other side of the coin - metalheads who think just because you don't dress a certain way that you aren't as metal as them. Well, most metalheads I've met don't subscribe to this muppetry thankfully, however one time I got a few remarks before from the goth girls in Fibber Magees that I mustn't like metal because , on the night in question, I was wearing a white 'skanger' dress (I'd come from a different club earlier in the night.) :rolleyes:

The BOFH wrote: »

Those articles are really interesting, and have confirmed what I've long suspected-
    Researchers found that, far from being a sign of delinquency and poor academic ability, many adolescent "metalheads" are extremely bright and often use the music to help them deal with the stresses and strains of being gifted social outsiders.

Damn straight!:) Some people seem to assume that metal heads are idiots who like to beat the crap out of each other at gigs- they totally miss the point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

self harm is no harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

It sucks when metalheads are confused for emo kids by scumbags these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It sucks when metalheads are confused for emo kids by scumbags these days.

Indeed.

I'm just wondering why someone would even bother coming into this forum for the sole purpose of making fun of someone, the logic trully evades me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

It happens with everybody.

Metal fan: Cant believe you listen to pill head music!!! CHART??? UGHHHHH!!
    Dance fan: You listen to hippy music???
    Indie fan: Pill head music and hippy music?? Booo man, boo.

Ignorance in all form's of social circle's

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

The worse abuse I get is getting called "Pinkie" by the kids, what with having pink hair an' all. The funniest is getting called a Hippy... can't people tell I'm ANGRY at the world, not HAPPY?!

I remember my friend gave the lads in the band he was in woeful abuse because they cut their long hair off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

jenizzle wrote: »
    can't people tell I'm ANGRY at the world, not HAPPY?!

God damn hippies, she'll be chaining herself to the damn tree next. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

The worse abuse I get is getting called "Pinkie" by the kids, what with having pink hair an' all. The funniest is getting called a Hippy... can't people tell I'm ANGRY at the world, not HAPPY?!
    If you dye your hair a nice angry colour like black or purple rather than a happy colour like pink then maybe people will understand your anger better :).

• Advertisement

I remember my friend gave the lads in the band he was in woeful abuse because they cut their long hair off.

ROFL, love it !:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Stay_in_Kampuchea

Got dogs abuse, still get dogs abuse, and I gotsa a crew cut these days. Sad thing is all the ladies that hated on me, now want me ha. Im SOULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLJA BOI. YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU. haters maaaaaaan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

from an ex Slayer fan:

ah ye still like metal, John, well, once you reach my age you'll grow out of it like i did:pac:

Well, i've reached his age now and i still enjoy listening to all kinds of metal. I suppose it means i've yet to grow up, just like that 80-year-old metal fan in England:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 pcworldsucks

people who listen to metal are morons, usually are complete losers.

Couldn't agree more, you are 100% correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

BWAHAHAHA! Lulz. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Never had problems aside from the occasional person mistaking me for "one o' dem emos"

FAIL! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

It can get pretty head wrecking here.
    Cars passing:
    ' MOsssshheeeEEeeerrr!'

'Cut your hair ya filthy MossShhHHER'

or they decide to throw things out of the car at you ¬_¬, eggs, bottles, bricks. Soooo funny :rolleyes:.

Ridiculous. Worse for my friends that are guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

I just wear normal, feminine type clothes, so I guess you'd only know my music taste if you inquired about it. Sometimes people laugh, but only really in a nice way, because it's quite unexpected. I wouldn't wear clothes that say anything much about my personality, think it's more fun to find out during a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

So what bands are you guys told you listen to by knackers, anyway?

"Ye listen to that bleedin' Slipknot and all!? DUR-NUR-NUR-NUR-NUR-NURRR!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Actually, one time a car full of people drove past screaming at me "AAAAAHH YA BIG SLIPKNOT YA!" :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Ah sure it's not as bad as the days where you were called a " Korn head" oh the memories :p

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ah sure it's not as bad as the days where you were called a " Korn head" oh the memories :p

I'm glad I'm old, Metallica and Guns N Roses were the worst my generation got. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    I'm glad I'm old, Metallica and Guns N Roses were the worst my generation got. :P

sometimes that can get more insulting. common one i get is :"guns n' roses. ah yeah,i love that november rain song,they're great so they are." :rolleyes:

dear lord spare me!!:(

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

All metal fans listen to Metallica, Fact.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

lord lucan wrote: »
    sometimes that can get more insulting. common one i get is :"guns n' roses. ah yeah,i love that november rain song,they're great so they are." :rolleyes:

dear lord spare me!!:(

Gotten worse than that:
    "Joy Division - Ah yeah... love will tear us apart...."

Cos i swear, they only ever did the one song before they became New Order :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Jesus Juice

If you were too look at me with my earphones in you would probably think ''I'd say hes listening to (PUT IN RANDOM TOP TEN FLAVOUR OF THE MONTH HERE)while im actually listening to Cancer Bats,Alexisonfire,Dillinger Escape plan and teh like!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Ive always been a rocker since the dawn of time when i was only a baby Heathen and my da was lashin on the lizzy for me in my bouncer.. got plenty of abuse in secondary school after getting booted out of a school that had a good few rockers to be sent to a school full of baseball cap wearing joyriders.. as you can imagine that was about as pleasant as eating glass.. but i just let it run off like water off a ducks back... have been a metal drummer for over 15 years now, work very closely with the music industry in this country and also work as a network administrator for a huge financial company... while my hair is short now i still live my the law of "Rock out with yer c0ck out"!! in work i dress neat as in an office.. but get me out to a gig and im full on metal :) i have never hidden the fact that im a metaller and never will.. everyone in my job knows im into my rock music, even had my boss chase up AC/DC tickets for me when i couldnt get them

the abuse was always there as a kid.. but to be honest i never really let it get to me.. it was just something you have to learn to tolerate and give back smarter answers to them and make them look like the t1ts infront of their mates :)

on a more important note... Acacia.. how you doin' ?
    metal chicks rule!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I haven't actually been slagged about it for a long time. Usually when I'm talking to skangers they'd be more likely to ask me questions about who I like ("you like korn an all dem yih?") or asking about my piercings / tattoos etc.

Years ago, just after Stanger came out, I was wearing a Metallica tshirt, and a skangerette said they're ****e, but "they only have one good song", I asked how many Metallica songs she'd heard . . . . . only St Anger!

A while ago there was a guy in my college slagging me for not being metal enough, because apparently I look very metal (long hair, beard, piercings, tattoos, wear black occasionally) but I'm very non-metal, I only listen to a couple of metal bands, I mainly listen to classic / prog rock. He asked me if I knew this metal band, I said no cos I don't really listen to metal, and he start laughing and gave out to me for giving off that impression!

Advertisement