Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Impression of Metal Fans

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Actually when I would wear my nirvana hoodie,sometimes "nirrvvvaaannaa man aw ya cool man"from scum bags :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I think the best line I ever heard was some twat's bad attempt at sarcasm: "Oh yeah, Slipknot, that's like the best song ever!":rolleyes: Fail right there- they're a band , not a song, you idiot! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭redenemyjoe

Haha, similarly. A friend of mine was in a car picking up some lad with his mate. The lads in the car had Sum41 on (for whatever reason). Your man hops into the car with a big head on him and says "Turn that off, is that your man Slipknot?"

Haha, similarly. A friend of mine was in a car picking up some lad with his mate. The lads in the car had Sum41 on (for whatever reason). Your man hops into the car with a big head on him and says "Turn that off, is that your man Slipknot?"

LOL. :D Well, there's nothing wrong with not knowing a band or whatever, it's when people start saying "Oh, you like that band, they're ****e, it's just noise!" and complaining about it, even though they've never heard it, that annoys me. It's a good idiot-filter though.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Acacia wrote: »
    I think the best line I ever heard was some twat's bad attempt at sarcasm: "Oh yeah, Slipknot, that's like the best song ever!":rolleyes: Fail right there- they're a band , not a song, you idiot! :pac:

It's the teenage nu-metaller in me but on their original album, Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat, they actually do have a song named Slipknot.

And now the elitist metaller in me is embarassed for knowing that. :D

• Advertisement

It's the teenage nu-metaller in me but on their original album, Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat, they actually do have a song named Slipknot.

And now the elitist metaller in me is embarassed for knowing that. :D

pacman.gif Well, I doubt the guy who said it to me was aware of that- he was the guy who used to shout "Ya mosher, ya!" at anyone wearing black or slightly longer than average hair! Given that he thought Slipknot was "a load of shoite", i don't think he was aware of their obscure debut album!:D

Yay, I was a teenage nu-metaller too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭quoteunquote

Given that he thought Slipknot was "a load of shoite", i don't think he was aware of their obscure debut album!:D

Good point :p.

Well how's this for a VERY wrong impression. I was drunkenly kissing my better half one night on the main street (I know, I know, how rude). I heard footsteps behind me and the shout "Lads come quick! There's some lesbians kissing down here." Turns out that, thanks to my OH's long hair, this passer-by had mistaken him for a woman. Once the guy saw my OH's beard however, he realized his mistake. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Maybe he was talking about the Woody Guthrie song :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I saw this thread, I thought of this:
    huge-metal-fan1.jpg

=-=

Wearing a trenchcoat during the winter (and when going drinking in Fibbers), mainly black, wearing some t-shirt from a gig I went to, shaved head, beard, black or green balaclava wooley hat... don't think I get many stares.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Indeed.I'm just wondering why someone would even bother coming into this forum for the sole purpose of making fun of someone, the logic trully evades me.

Trolling springs to mind!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Trolling springs to mind!

Quit calling troll on this bloody thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

most peoples view of metalheads:

beavis-butthead.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I was called a grunger by a load scumbags too before just because I refused to buy them fags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭cedomination

Had some guy try to slag me today in school.

"Pig destroyer?! Ugh you're gay what kind of name is that?"

I just laughed at him,then about 10 minutes later he was called to the principals office and when he came back we found out he was being made stay in school the entire day while the rest of our year went on a trip to town.

Awesome day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

sometimes get people doing matrix impressions but that's all. Rarely get the "get haircut comment."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

THats what you get for wearing a trenchcoat :P .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

yah same....and i've a nice pair of sunglasses that i'd love to wear with my coat.
    surprisingly i got more stick in school than anywhere else
    (blasted private schools)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

yes, that too, I can't wear sunglasses anymore because of that film great as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

yah same....and i've a nice pair of sunglasses that i'd love to wear with my coat.
    surprisingly i got more stick in school than anywhere else
    (blasted private schools)

Dude, its not just private schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭Seraphicblue

you're waterford chris, you should know newtown.
    ya cant smack them cause they'll complain to daddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Stev_o wrote: »
    Mehhh not really i wouldn't wear any clothes that you would associate with metal yet when people look at my ipod and see it filled with In Flames, COB, Soilwork, ATR etc they kind of shrug it off. The best reply i got was "Oh my dad is a huge metal head" :p

The same with myself, I don'nt wear any black clothes at all. I mostly wear trendy loose fitting Diesel\Gas jeans, light longsleeve tops and black and white adidas runners. If you were to look on my iPod you'd see bands like Fields of The Nephilim, Emperor, Sisters of Mercy, Darkthrone, Rush, Thin Lizzy, Gorgoroth, Immortal/I, Tiamat, Bowie, Black Sabbath, Scorpions, The Mission UK, Old Man's Child etc. I think most people would be fairly shocked.:P:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

lord lucan wrote: »
    i still wear band t-shirts occasionally and still get funny looks. combo that with a beard and tattoos and the usual line is "aren't you a bit old for that sort of thing?". i'm only 34 ffs,i'll still be wearing this **** at 64.
    I'm waiting for the opportunity to see a 40 year old dude wearing a Faith No More T-Shirt just so I can run up to him and shout "Midlife Crisisssss!!!" at him! It would make my day, and I would be expecting a drink from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Nailz wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the opportunity to see a 40 year old dude wearing a Faith No More T-Shirt just so I can run up to him and shout "Midlife Crisisssss!!!" at him! It would make my day, and I would be expecting a drink from it!

i'll see you in 6 years time so:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Cathy666

I get it a lot. Not so much due to the clothes I wear (typical metal fan - hoodies, t-shirts, New Rocks etc.), but more so for my Iron Maiden tattoos. I have 2 Iron Maiden tattoos - Killers Eddie and A Matter of Life and Death crossed guns and Eddie. Not very feminine :D
    I couldn't care less what people say though. I am who I am, love it or hate it, I'm not changing for anyone.

See, I have this problem with (And please don't jump to your guns here) with these lads who are 'real' metal heads because they think that because they listen to ****ing priest or maiden etc, they have more integrity than others.

I'm not an emo or any of that bollox but I ****ing hate how anybody with a fringe (which I don't have) or that wears skinnies (which I don't) gets castigated by these 'real' metal heads.

If metal heads don't give a ****, don't have a care in the world for fashion, (you see what I'm getting at) then why does it matter if a bunch of people like a different kind of metal and wear different clothes. I've seen it in Fibbers and it's so thick. You know the mentality of 'I listen to X and look like this', 'you don't and are therefore a poser'

**** that ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

If metal heads don't give a ****, don't have a care in the world for fashion, (you see what I'm getting at) then why does it matter if a bunch of people like a different kind of metal and wear different clothes. I've seen it in Fibbers and it's so thick. You know the mentality of 'I listen to X and look like this', 'you don't and are therefore a poser'

**** that ****.

It's not that we could care less, it's kinda like skangers.
    If they wanna look like that, more power to them, but that won't stop us from feeling somewhat embarrassed for them. ;)

See, I have this problem with (And please don't jump to your guns here) with these lads who are 'real' metal heads because they think that because they listen to ****ing priest or maiden etc, they have more integrity than others.

I'm not an emo or any of that bollox but I ****ing hate how anybody with a fringe (which I don't have) or that wears skinnies (which I don't) gets castigated by these 'real' metal heads.

**** that ****.

I agree. The 'musical elitists' really get on my tits. They're like bitchy girls sometimes, "Oh my god, you like Slipknot, that is soooo 1999!" :D

I especially love lads who dress like the below and inform other people that they're posers for wearing jeans and a t-shirt , or heaven forbid, a tracksuit! ( not that I judge people by how they dress but I've seen it happen before!)

I iz moar black metalz than you! ---->
    gaahl01.jpg

:pac::p:pac:

My point exactly, and don't fret, the embarrassment is felt on both sides!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

from an ex Slayer fan:

ah ye still like metal, John, well, once you reach my age you'll grow out of it like i did:pac:

Well, i've reached his age now and i still enjoy listening to all kinds of metal. I suppose it means i've yet to grow up, just like that 80-year-old metal fan in England:)

Thats the thing that gets me most, couple of years ago, was working somewhere during the summer and some guys response to finding out i like metal bands was...oh i used to like them too, I asked why dont you like them anymore and he said... he grew up. Thats pretty insulting that people have this view that its a sign of lacking some sort or maturity. Im all for what those articles said!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭RHRN

I believe Encyclopedia Dramatica put it perfectly.
    The skangers' mortal enemy is everyone, when he is drunk, but mostly "rockers", which is a label they dump on any idiot not kitted out in the latest Nike or Celtic FC jersey.

Advertisement