Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong Impression of Metal Fans

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Thats the thing that gets me most, couple of years ago, was working somewhere during the summer and some guys response to finding out i like metal bands was...oh i used to like them too, I asked why dont you like them anymore and he said... he grew up. Thats pretty insulting that people have this view that its a sign of lacking some sort or maturity. Im all for what those articles said!!

what's adult music then? Rikki Martin? Dido? A lot of mainstream music is fairly infantile imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭The BOFH

Thats the thing that gets me most, couple of years ago, was working somewhere during the summer and some guys response to finding out i like metal bands was...oh i used to like them too, I asked why dont you like them anymore and he said... he grew up. Thats pretty insulting that people have this view that its a sign of lacking some sort or maturity. Im all for what those articles said!!
    People who take that view were never really into it in the first place & would be "scene kids" in my opinion. I still listen to metal & I still ride a BMX at 37.

Anyway, here's me on my way to Mass:

bm11.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

The sad thing is that the people who do negatively stereotype you for being a part of a subculture, because that's what it is, a subculture, are the ones that yearn to be a part of something different but who are not.

There are numerous ways you can psychoanalyse a person who is foolish enough to berate you for being 'different' but the diagnoses will always be the same... they are jealous they don't share your passion for something, which is Metal music, and the fact that they don't have the courage to adapt their fashion sense to their passionate interest.

Fact is Metal fans are generally more tolerant and sensitive toward other individuals and subcultures than other individuals and subcultures are toward them. People who spout the same old misinformed ideologies that Metal is Satanic, Angry, blah, blah, insert Generic cliche here, are fools. So don't suffer them and stand up for yourself whenever your love for a certain type of music or your participation in a subculture is questioned. If however you just enjoy the music without participating in all the subcultural trappings that go along with it then fine, you shouldn't expect too much guff from the general public. If you do, then don't be merely a docile link in a subculture chain.

So just know that you are unique because you have found something in your life that you can be passionate about and that you actually have other people to share that passion with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭villains77

was chatting to a friend in work bout meeting a friend of theres at the metallica gig last year and my supervisor overheard it and said she never thaught i was into that kind of music. but never got any stick for it. was at wedding recently where the bride and groom were all into heavy metal like myself. it was a great night moshing and dancing the night away.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

villains77 wrote: »
    was chatting to a friend in work bout meeting a friend of theres at the metallica gig last year and my supervisor overheard it and said she never thaught i was into that kind of music. but never got any stick for it. was at wedding recently where the bride and groom were all into heavy metal like myself. it was a great night moshing and dancing the night away.
    What song did they have their first dance to?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I spent all my college days with long hair, wearing black metal and death metal tshirts and a black leather jacket. In college, people were actually really sound and quite open minded, and I didn't really get any abuse at all there (possibly because back then - 1998/00) there were a good few of us around.

Since then I suppose I've mellowed out somewhat, and I will listen to music from all sorts of different genres outside of metal. But I'm a power metal maniac, and listen almost exclusively to bands in that genre like Angra, Power Quest, Kamelot, Highlord, Gamma Ray, Vision Divine, Threshold, Firewind, etc. as well as progressive bands and also classic stuff like Iron Maiden and Magnum, and hard rock like Pink Cream 69 or Whitesnake. I'm not into black/death really anymore, I just like melodic metal and rock. I dress quite normally and wear regular clothes, with short hair... but you should see the response when I see people from my "past life", who think I've totally changed! They usually think I'm totally non-metal just based on my appearance, little do they know that I listen to metal evey day :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

but those articles just said that metal was good for young children?

:confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Quit calling troll on this bloody thread!
    Don't get your twickers in a knist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

villains77 wrote: »

Funny you mention this, as I was talking about this in another forum recently.
    But I'm actually getting married in October (final preparations got sorted this week).

For most of the preparation, i was basically told to sit down and shut up, to which i happily agreed, on the grounds that i picked the suits, the cars and guess what else?...

... yep, the music. The set list is all mine to play with :D
    Gonna be a lot of shocked faces, i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭bigeasyeah

I think every sub group can have people who give it a bad name.On that same token there are some in the same subgroup who possess an elitist attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

ShawnRaven wrote: »
    Funny you mention this, as I was talking about this in another forum recently.
    But I'm actually getting married in October (final preparations got sorted this week).

For most of the preparation, i was basically told to sit down and shut up, to which i happily agreed, on the grounds that i picked the suits, the cars and guess what else?...

... yep, the music. The set list is all mine to play with :D
    Gonna be a lot of shocked faces, i think.

What kind of music does your fiancé like? You could be in serious trouble!

What kind of music does your fiancé like? You could be in serious trouble!

Not mine, put it that way. Although she did go to Meat Loaf with me a few years back! I'll find a healthy balance though.

Have no choice, a lifetime of sore ears is never worth one night without sore ears. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Alanthroneus

Walking down the road...

Skanger: " hey man do you like korn?? Korn on the cob? "

Walking down the road...

Skanger: " hey man do you like korn?? Korn on the cob? "

That old chestnut?... That one was old in 1997 for christs sake. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

Ah the good ol days when I used to go to college with short hair, Nike runners, Liverpool tracksuit with 'Reign In Blood' blaring in my ears. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

used to get it heaps when i was at school. kornhead. metaller. mosher. goth. 'slipknothead' - come on! it doesn't even have a ring to it! emo came up towards the end of 6th year.

dont get anything for it now. got a few OAPs concerned about my walking around barefoot when i lived in sydney, but other than that, it's been years since anyone but my mother criticised my 'style' in public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I take no notice of it. I used to always get it but I think people have learned to deal with it now.

Nobody dressed in a Nike tracksuit and a 45 degree angled cap should be allowed to comment on another persons dress sense..... It'd be fairly hypocritical.

Advertisement