Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coming back after nearly a year out !!!

Options
  • 17-03-2009 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭

Well after reading ome fantastic training logs,especailly cfitzs i decided to start my own today.
    I have been running since the age of 12 and towards the start of last year i didn't have any hunger to run anymore.
    Then in the summer i tore ligaments in my ankle and havnt ran since.

day 1:I decided to run for an hour on my first day back !!!
    went to the phoenix park and was 45mins into my run and met a friend of mine who is in sub 31min 10k shape and decided to run with him for a little longer as he had a 2hour run.
    Lasted an hour and 20mins running at an avergae pace of between 7.30min miles and 8min miles.
    was buzzing after the run and felt tired but good.

Day2(today)was working 8am-9pm in work so didnt get out for a run until 10pm,ran for 46mins and pace was abit up and down.
    Phoenix park was very dark and might have to buy a head torch soon.
    Trying out a new pair of runners from underarmour,lovey runner to train in so gona give them 300miles to give them my rating.
    My diet is awful and got sick after 2mins into my run after eating a box of pringles and a bag of jellies earlier.
    My current weight is almost 14stone and my racing weight 2 years ago was just under 12stone :eek:
    I have drawn up a 6 week plan to keep myself motivated....
    hope to get some feedback from other runners....Thirsty....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

Good luck & congrats for getting back into it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

Wel today started of on a good note !!!
    Couldn't get a bus to work so i ran most of the way,
    30mins @ 6.45pace
    Evening time i went for a run in bushy park for 50mins at 7.20pace
    Felt tired towards the end of the evening run as i did an 8hour shift in work and i didnt get much sleep last night.
    Will be intersting to see how the legs feel tommorow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

hey thirstywork. Good stuff getting the hunger back. What would you consider your main events and what sort of times are you going to target. Do you run with a club ? Have a coach ?

Was the 1hr 20 minute the other day your first run back in a while ? If it was it shows you have a great natural fitness base. A word of caution though, ease yourself back into training. Over doing it (2 runs in 1 day already:eek:) will only lead to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

You could post up some details of your training plan too if you like. Everyone's different, but I like to stick fairly rigidly to plans to avoid getting carried away. And I think that's especially important after an injury when it's easy to get impatient.

Hey lads thanks very much for the words of advice.i tend to over do it but can't help myself sometimes.
    I have had 3 coaches since i started running.
    My main enent i think will be the marathon and i will run one at the end of this year or else in spring time next year.
    My best times are:
    track:
    800m 1.58
    1500m 4.04
    3k 9.12
    5k(road)15.41
    10miles 55.10
    half marathon 74.12
    Anyway i ran 56mins tonight at 10pm after working a 12 hour shift in work.
    tough day and after reading Woddles post about juggling running with work i full understand him.
    I think i need a coach of some sort again but would feel embarased asking someone to caoch me with my current fitness.
    it usually takes me 8weeks to get up to a descent level of fitness.
    My schedule fitzy is this:
    2 rest days a 25min run and a 75min run on sunday
    next week im on holiday so plan is to run mon-40mins tue-2 x 30mins am +pm wed-hour easy thur-2 x 45min runs am + pm fri-hour easy and gym
    sat rest and sun-75mins (45 miles)
    following week 50 and the week after 44miles with a tempo run .
    any input from other would be great.
    Fitzy have you a coach?

• Advertisement

Yeah I've got a coach. Like yourself, I've had 3 - one as a juvenile, one in college, and one after I finished college. I've always had a good bit of input myself rather than just being given a complete day by day schedule. Not sure whether that's good or bad. If you send me a private message letting me know what part of the country you're in I might be able to recommend someone.

I don't think you need to do anything too complex for the next while anyway - just build the fitness back up gradually and then when you're in better shape you'll have no fear of approaching potential coaches.

had a rest day today,if you can call it that as work was mental busy.
    looking forward to a run with no work tommorow and then im heading to Spain for a week....
    I think Cfitz is right about keeping things simple !!!
    I read many peoples training and they are doing sprints and short stuff but yet they are training for a marathon.
    listening to your body is good and if i need a day of in the early stages getting back i will take them.
    Im still debating having a track season or else going for the longer stuff.

im headin to the park for a run with a friend of mine at 1pm.throat is in bits but atleast its something tha should only be with me for a few days.

just back from a run,managed to do 80mins at between 7.10-7.30 pace
    such a nice day to run.Met an old friend who is running bhaa race tommorow,he will probably win....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

just back from a run,managed to do 80mins at between 7.10-7.30 pace
    such a nice day to run.Met an old friend who is running bhaa race tommorow,he will probably win....
    Nice running there, will be keeping an eye on your log, After a year out you will be back in flying form in no time. Best of luck

• Advertisement

went for a run after work tonight at 8pm in the phoenix park.was pitch dark and ran most on the road.started very easy at 8min miles and after 20mins a upped the tempo to around 7min miles.
    ran for a total of 40mins,my heart rate monitor wasnt working.I got a garmin 405 last week but wouldn't have a clue how to use it so if any of u have any tips id appreciate it.
    heading on holidays to Spain tommorow :)

Sunday-rest day after travelling
    monday-40mins am easy run 1hour steady pm
    tue-25mins am easy(felt like crap) 1hour staeady pm(felt alot better)
    wed-15min warmp up and cool down and in between 6 x 2mins 30secs
    witha recovery of 75secs(half the effort)
    felt good to be doing something above 6.45min miles.
    today i plan on doing 2mile easy am and stretching and a longer run in the evening.

Looks like you're back into a routine fairly quickly. Have you decided whether or not you will run track?

most of my mates are gona be doing track so it would be more fun to run track.not sure what distance yet.

Did 1hour run last night,was a little quicker in the second half of the run but felt good.IT band a little tight on the left but think thats from the increase in mileage and running on a slight camber and sand.
    undecided as to take a rest day today !!!!
    week so far i have covered 42miles....

45minutes run,followed by 4 x 100m strides-high knee lift and kick backs.
    felt really good.

today i did 84mins averaging 6.40 pace.never felt so tired at the end of a run.got carried away as i was training with some very fasy guys.
    pace went from 7.40 down to 5.33 at on stage.
    Gona be an easy next few days to recover.
    going to see how the next 3 weeks go before deciding if i will run track this year.
    think my weekly mileage was around 70

Very impressive come back !

Any provisional races penciled in over the coming weeks ?

Plan on doing the bhaa rte 4mile road race.havn't a clue what time im gona be aiming for yet but under 21.30mins would be a good start.

I think that one may be 5 miles but I could be wrong. If it's 5 you should still aim for 21.30 though:D

• Advertisement

That sort of improvment would be like Cathal Lombard.....:D
    50mins tonight at a slowish pace....
    what you aiming for yourself?

That sort of improvment would be like Cathal Lombard.....:D
    50mins tonight at a slowish pace....
    what you aiming for yourself?

Marathon at the end of April, then 2 week break followed by 2 week pure miles, then will concentrate on 5k speed and try run a couple of pbs over 5k and 10k during the summer.

nice plan roadrunner,just mak sure you take a proper recovery after the marathon.
    did an hour in the phoenix park this morning (8miles)
    body vey tired,maybe a day off soon!!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

body vey tired,maybe a day off soon!!!:eek:

Listen to your body. Take a day off, not soon, but now. You're only starting back in so a day here and there won't ruin anything.

I don't know what kind of training you used to do before you started but I'm baffled at the jump back in you made. I'd probably average about 50 miles a week year round. The last few weeks I've gone to 60+ for marathon training and I feel my body getting tired. To go from zero to 70 miles in two or three weeks could very easily lead to injury.

Best of luck

I agree man,taking tommorow off and will prob supplement a days running with cross training or swimming.cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

What event will you run on track this year if you do? Steeplechase?

won't have the base work done for the steeple so probably try run some 800m and 1500m.
    would like to run some bc races if i can get my times below 2min and 4mins.
    Imc will have adequate races for me also but not the same numbers.
    Havn't done a steeple in a while and its a real strong man event.
    Steeple is all about getting into a rhythm and to do this you need to be running atleast 77 seconds per lap otherwise you cant be fluent at your jumps.Its a great event to watch in league where guys are chucked in but struggle on the jumps and especially the water jump.
    Watch out for Brain Farrell this year as he is making big improvments and if he plans on making the steeple his priority he will run close to 8.30-40 in my opinion.

day off work so decided to go for a 50min run.nice and handy.getting massage tommorow :)

did 60mins at 7min mile pace.ankle a little sore todaybut i will struggle on.
    saw them setting up the race for sunday in the phoenix park.
    makes me wish i was in shae to race.

• Advertisement

:)well today was a very easy paced runs.ran 30mins int he morning and 65min group run.
    mileage for the week so far 43miles.

Advertisement