Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coming back after nearly a year out !!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭thirstywork

went for run after work around 8.20pm,chilly in the air but fine once i got going.Had a bag pack on and ran the roads of Dublin city.
    Nearly got hit by a car door on Dame street.

Had to stop after 30mins as i noticed i hadnt my laces evenly laced,made a big difference once they where.

anyway i ran for 60mins on the nose,around 9.5miles.
    Plan a long run tommorow after work but will see how im feeling as its beena long week!!!
    (1063)

Took a rest day and listened to my body for a change.been crying out for a day off.went to the park and watched the race.pity fagan ran abit flat,expected him to win.some good performances from Vinny Mulvey and couple of others like Barry Minock.

Late run tonight,
    went very easy and felt some niggles in my it band and foot.
    did 76mins (10MILES)
    still undecided wehter to run thr track or aim for a 10k on the roads in July
    and then maybe national half in Sept !!!
    Learned the hard way before that you can't try race everything.
    Stick to a goal and try your best to achieve it !!!

Didnt finish work till very late,worked over 15 hours today but was determined to run no matter what.
    well i was 40mins into my run when some clown who was p11sed drunk
    decided it was funny to run after me and try and trip me up.:mad:
    run was very steady and ran 9miles in 64mins.
    has anyone encountered plonkers like this when out running?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

all the time. I have been even known to confront them sometimes which really isn't advisable :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

ran a total of 16miles today.run consisted of a mile warm up(while i figured out how to use the garmin watch)
    then i ran 13 miles in 88mins and 39seconds.did a 2mile easy cool down after at about 8min pace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

ran a total of 16miles today.run consisted of a mile warm up(while i figured out how to use the garmin watch)
    then i ran 13 miles in 88mins and 39seconds.did a 2mile easy cool down after at about 8min pace.

Good running you seem to be going well now, hows the body holding up? any speed work planned?

thanks for asking shels4ever.emm i suppose another 2 weeks and then introduce some tempo runs.
    My legs feel abit mangled today as i went for another 13mile run.
    i find sometimes its good to test the body.i will ease of till sat or Sunday and im really looking forward to doing some hill sessions.
    last two days have been on road which isn't ideal.

so so so so tired tonight.work has been mental busy and i have been running very late everynight.
    did 8mile run in an hour tonight.legs were heavy and sore.
    alot of stretching after.gona do easy 30mins tommorow.

stuck to the plan today.30mins and 36seconds=4mile run easy on grass.
    legs alot better today.
    planing a run in the park with friend tommorow.
    skipped a work party tonight as i have booked a race in July and plan to stick to my plan.
    Sessions start in two weeks time !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

skipped a work party tonight as i have booked a race in July and plan to stick to my plan.
    Sessions start in two weeks time !!!

Oh, so what's it gonna be for the summer - track or road?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Really enjoying this log, its very intense or sth, you seemed to have gone from 0 to a 100 in a very short space of time, so that would be my only concern as I think cfitz was in a similar boat to you with injury and his log is a testament to patience and building it up slowly, could be worth your while having a read of his from the start. Anyway great log and can't wait to see how you get on in coming races.

I have booked a 10k abroad in July.Woddle you are spot on about me lacking patience but im buzing again with the training and hungry to get back.
    I think recovery is key to every athlete,im no longer going out on the beer and resting up quiet well.
    I think 70miles this week is the max i want to go up to.I will probably keep it aroud 50-55 over the coming weeks.
    My first session in 3-4 days time will be 5 x 1mile in around 5.50 pace max.
    this is to help the body ease back in and then i will start adding hill workouts.
    today i ran 13 miles at 6.56 pace,think it was around 90mins.
    the run started off at 7.15 pace and gradually got a little quicker,especailly when some gaa player went tearing past.i just couldnt help myself so decided to up my pace and run past him.
    looking forward to a few days of work now.

ran a 3mile loop this morning with my g/f(27mins)
    not the best weather out but nice for the ducks.:pac:

I did 7miles @ 6.23 pace.Feel like im getting fitter everyday.total time for 7miles was 44mins and 39seconds.
    plan on doing mile repeats on thursday if work suits.
    satuday possibly hill session depending on how the legs feel after Thursday.
    If anyone fancies a hill session on saturdays or sunday in the phoenix park let me know.
    long way to go yet but just have to be a little more patient.
    looking forward to doing sessions again,should bring me back to reality.:eek:

5miles @ 7.27 pace total 37mins and 14seconds.
    was totally wrecked this morning,first mile was 8min pace.
    Probably going to do session thursday.

ok I have decided to post some of my sessions for the next few weeks and this is when i start to add quality to my running.
    My fitness ahs improved better than i expected but my easy runs are still
    around 40-50seconds away from where i want to be.
    My sessions are key and will be based on my fitness right now !!!
    Heart rate will be very important,trainign within the right zone.

- 2 X 10 milers
    - 1 tempo (hard day)
    - 1 hill session (hard day)
    - 1 long run (hard day)
    - 1 X 6 to 8 miler
    - 1 X 4-5 miler or rest day
    weekly mileage 62-65miles

-week 1: 5 to 6 X 1 mile @ 5'50-55 pace max- recovery of 80 secs. this has to be below tempo/lactic treshold
    -week 2: 6'-9'-9'-6' tempo @ 5'45-50- recovery's 2 minutes
    -week 3: 3 X 10' with 2 minutes (id imagine 5 45-50 again)
    -week 4: Mile (5'50) - 60 secs recovery - 2 X 15' (5'45 pace) recovery 2' in between - 1' recovery - Mile (5'45)

hills:
    -week 1: 8 X 1' jog down recovery - 1 minute would be good
    -week 2: 12 X 1' jog down recovery / 1 minute rec
    -week 3: 10 X 1'20 with 45-50 sec recovery jog down
    -week 4: 10 X 2' with full jog down recovery of at least 1'30

In four weeks i will do a time trial or 5mile race.
    I will have to be flexible with work and also injuries.

people opinions and input here are welcome.......

ran an easy 8mile this morning at 7.32 pace.first session tommorow.yikes.:eek:

Glad to say first workout went very well
    Ran on flat grass surface in the park around magazine fort.

Mile 1: 5.44 bpm:169

Mile2: 5.42 bpm:170

Mile 3: 5.39 bpm:170

Mile4: 5.41 bpm:173

Mile 5: 5.36 bpm:173

Mile 6: 5.34 bpm:175

recovery was 60-80seconds.
    Conditions,soft breeze but perfect for running.
    Legs know they have done a workout,been a while.
    Breathing very relaxed and form very good.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Nice controlled session. You must be very happy with that. What time are you targeting for your upcoming 10k ?

• Advertisement

I have no set time as of yet.I have only ran two 10k's in my life(1st and 3rd place):)
    I will see how training goes over the next 6 weeks and then set a goal time.
    I will probably do a 5k time trail in a few weeks which will also give a good indication.

10miles 7.12 pace.felt good,not as tired as last few days.
    hill session tommorow and long run Sunday await me.
    tough last few days but things going in the right direction.
    was nice to:D splash in a few puddles

did 8 x 1min repeats up a steep hil with a 45second recovery.
    Effort was about 80-85%
    felt terrible warming up but not so bad doing the reps.
    total mileage today 12miles.

perfect day for running today but felt like crap from the start.decided to listen to my body and just jog at 7.50 pace.did 15miles and some stretching after,hip area tight from hills yesterday.
    total miles for the week around 67:D

perfect day for running today but felt like crap from the start.decided to listen to my body and just jog at 7.50 pace.did 15miles and some stretching after,hip area tight from hills yesterday.
    total miles for the week around 67:D
    Nice weeks training, lots of miles in the legs already, hows the body holding up?

Body holding up really well,my mileage might come down a touch as im adding more quality to my training.
    Last 4 days been tough but i think i am challenging my body without over doing it.
    I have a massage arranged for next week.
    how has your training been Shels4ever?

Body holding up really well,my mileage might come down a touch as im adding more quality to my training.
    Last 4 days been tough but i think i am challenging my body without over doing it.
    I have a massage arranged for next week.
    how has your training been Shels4ever?

been sick in bed for the last 3 days but feeling a lot better today, runners are in the car now and i'm going out for an easy 5 miles now. Not going to do too much the next 2 week ,

rest day today although work was hectic.
    massage this thursday after my session:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Good to see things seem to be going very well for you. Will you be doing many double days over the next few weeks?

• Advertisement

haha just gettin ur message fitzy.rab a double today.25mins am very slow,felt like a stuffed pig.
    ran 8miles 53.05 6.38 miles average heart rate 154.
    felt so smooth and realaxed,prob the stress relief of leaving work.
    session in the morning is 6mins 9mins 6mins and 9mins @ heart rate 165-170bpm.massage thursday and easy till saturdays hill session.
    total today 11miles

Advertisement