Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

uv plastic for diy timber frame greenhouse

Options
  • 17-03-2009 12:04am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Where in the west can I purchase the polythene suitable for a greenhouse I am about to have built?

I am looking at purchasing the proper uv polythene which is probably much pricier than the regular plastic sold a builder providers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

try Polydome or Highbank they both sell Tunnel plastic online and deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

maybe i can help you here!!!

heres one my dad and i built recently

we built the back wall, 9" cavity blocks, poured concrete foundation along front, 2 high 4" block wall to front and one to the side where the door is, 2x4 treated timber frame and 10mm twin wall polycarbonate as the glazing material

pretty happy, used up a lot of left overs from the business, only had to purchase some PC for the roof. alomost finished when these were taken. I know he cant wait to get stuck in this year and plant all sorts of everything!!

greenhouse2.jpg

greenhouse3.jpg

greenhouse4.jpg

greenhouse5.jpg

greenhouse6.jpg

greenhouse7.jpg

greenhouse8.jpg

greenhouse9.jpg

greenhouse10.jpg

the polycarbonate we get from a company in Dublin, Williaam Cox. It comes in sheets 2100mm wide x 3500mm high, or full sheets (210mm x 7000mm) BIg sheets!!! its twinwall 10mm, clear, sunlite and UV properties also

2m x 7m is hard to work with, but depending on cuts, if worked out rightly, this can be the best to get , if you have an area to lay it flat and cut it up.

the overall size of the roof is 2 sheets wide, so 4200mm , and the slope is a full 3500mm, so the frame underneath then can be smaller. this will allow for very little offciuts and wastage. We decided to go witha lean too, as the concerte blocks offer good heat insulation and retention in the summer, the PC is a fantastic insulator, and very strong, even kicking balls against it wont barely scratch it . the screws i uesd to hold down the Pc are the tex or hex ones, zinc coated with the hex head and a metal and rubber washer on them too. they are good solid screws available in different lengths. The PC is guaranteed against yellowing for 10 years, its the sunlite PC, has a film on the inside coat and helps prevents UV loss, much like the pilkington K glass coating id say. yes they deliver, i had mine collected by a friend in the transport industry. jeez, i always forget the price of the sheeting, you can ring williaam cox and ask anyway. its easily cleaned with water and a soft brush atoo. which i must do one of these days!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭stifz

Out of interest. roughly how much did this cost to build?

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭wreckless

id say now, about a 800 anyway. we needed sand, gravel, cement, blocks, timber, polycarbonate, screws, hinges.

borrowed a mixer and had all the other tools needed.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Nice job wreckless, well mine is totally timber frame no blocks at all.

The brother is a chippy and he's freer now with the recession so he said he'd build it for me, will post pics when its finished. The frame is up now have to get the plastic will price around....

thanks for da help

heres what it looks like at the minute
    greenhouse.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I built a wee poly-hut last year similar to artienna - I reckoned there was no point spending too much initially until I gave growing under cover a go first on the cheap.

I used some heavy gauge clear polyethene sheet from Western Plastics over in Ballybrit in Galway. Not UV rated but its still looking good (our climate is hardly likely to be the source of intense UV radiation anyway :D).

Most important thing to remember is watering EVERY day - this year I am looking to put in a timed irrigation system, Tomatoes did very well last year (even with the crap weather we had) but I nearly lost them a few times after forgetting to water them (also while we were on holidays).

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

Got my uv polythene ordered today from polydome.ie under 100euro including delivery. Priced a few and they were the cheapest and the quickest to understand what I wanted, by the measurements I emailed...

Am very pleased:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NauP

Any pics of final product? Final cost?

Advertisement