Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nikon D300.

• 17-03-2009 12:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I used to own a Nikon F100 a few years ago. I now want to get back into photography so I'd like to get peoples views and comments on the D300. Simply, should I buy it?

Ta very much!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I have it and love it! Great camera. Get the grip for it too, makes it feel and look even nicer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

great camera, steepish learning curve due to many menu levels. I came originally from film, through a D70, then onto a D300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭RoryW

Yes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nowye'retalkin

Go for a Canon. Superior tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Not what was being asked if i've read the thread correctly and some/many may dispute your comment.

Could further postings please try to be helpful to the OP's question. There are plenty of threads as to what is the best brand with the usual conclusion and I trust that the OP doesn't want to see a rehash of this time old debate - they could have simply used the search function.

To keep on topic please respond to;

I used to own a Nikon F100 a few years ago. I now want to get back into photography so I'd like to get peoples views and comments on the D300. Simply, should I buy it?

Thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

theres a link there, Canon and a Tool...

least thats how they signed off..... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

Its a great piece of kit, as someone has said its a steep learnig curve but its fun learning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Do you still have any good full frame lenses from your old Nikon films days? Would you not consider going straight in for a D700 in that case ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

d300 is a great camera
    still use it and I don't see the point of spending 1k+ on top of a d300 for a d700

may be to make use of the even more expensive 14-24mm which I don't have and I won't have in the near future
    you'll see that depending on the photography you do, the crop factor plays on your favour
    if I need to go wide I use my 11-16mm, and my 70-200mm f/2.8 will be very expensive and heavy to replace if I go full frame
    EDIT: not that the 70-200mm won't work on FF, but that lens @200mm on crop on the D300 gives me a 300mm 2.8, of that 300mm prime is what I was talking about

get a D300, with the difference get some good glass, enjoy your camera as much as you can, you will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Kbeg3

Great camera. Mine is a year old and still brilliant. Get the grip as well and some good glass as mentioned above:) Can't go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Have one myself. Really like it. Any lenses you have from the F100 will still work with it, to a certain extent depending on the lens.

What you will find is that it will feel quite natural in your hands straight away as Nikon have kept the ergonomics much the same over the years. I had an F801 & found it felt much the same when I got the D70S. When I picked up a Canon & played with it I did not have that same feeling. Some things I needed to hunt for in Menus that I was used to having at my fingertips on the Nikon. Now if I had been used to the Canon System in the past then this may have been different & this is only my personal experience.

If you do get it we hope to see some of your shots here soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Thank you all very much for your responses so far, after the positive comments then it just has to be the D300, I just cannot afford the D700, and anyway, as quilmore says, is the D700 €1000 'better' than the D300?!

Unfortunately, I don't have any of my lenses anymore, they went with the camera body. I had f 2.8 28 - 80 and f 2.8 70 - 200 Sigma lenses, and very nice they were too.

So I'm going to have to start from square one again. I'll obviously go for f 2.8 lenses again as I like the speed and I'll be after a kit.

Can anyone suggest a decent online camera store thingy where I can order the kit? Or, is any camera store in Ireland worth a visit? I'm in Cork but am willing to travel. I would, of course, like the best possible deal I can get.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

colblimp wrote: »
    is the D700 €1000 'better' than the D300?!

it wouldnt be too far off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

colblimp wrote: »
    Can anyone suggest a decent online camera store thingy where I can order the kit? Or, is any camera store in Ireland worth a visit? I'm in Cork but am willing to travel. I would, of course, like the best possible deal I can get.
    http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/ctl?ac.ui.pn=home.Home&syrinx.ui.cc=Y&ac.ck.pv=

Give CalumetPhoto in belfast a ring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

Hi, I just got a D300 last week, it's excellent, brought it in from the UK, saved €550. There is a link here to it's first outing, using a €100 50mm Nikon Lens.
    Cheers,
    Q.

There's some good, strong photography there Q. Care to share the shop website you bought the camera from?! :D

OK lads and lasses, after all that about the D300, I've been told by 'er indoors' that the D300 is out of bounds due to cashflow problems.... :(

Therefore, would the D90 be the next, best option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

the D90 has the sensor of the D300
    you lose on gimmicks (and not so...) like fps, presets, full bracketing, etc
    things that only a few use some of them some of the time
    I know of somebody who's gone from D300 to D90 without compromising anything noticeable

but mind what qork said, you'll have to work hard to beat that price for a full blooded d300

quilmore wrote: »
    the D90 has the sensor of the D300
    you lose on gimmicks (and not so...) like fps, presets, full bracketing, etc
    things that only a few use some of them some of the time
    I know of somebody who's gone from D300 to D90 without compromising anything noticeable

but mind what qork said, you'll have to work hard to beat that price for a full blooded d300

The fps is important to me as I'll be doing a fair bit of sport work.

Qork didn't give a link to the site where he bought his D300 from, nor the final price he paid. I'd be interested to find out what he did pay.

I was in a camera shop today and they had a second hand D300, with grip, for €1299 which I didn't think was too bad. It also had a 6 month warranty. Any thoughts? Any thoughts on what a fair price for a D90 would be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭qork

colblimp, sent you a PM, the D300 new, comes with a 2 year warranty. You can get non Nikon grips on eBay for about €70 here.

Compatible Batteries are cheap from these guys too.

I got my D300 just before the last price increase, landed for about €1040. I was able to get the UK VAT off, as I am registered for Vat.

Qork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I can't really comment on the D300, but I do have a D90 since christmas, and its abslolutely brilliant
    Had a D40 before, and the D90 is in a different league.

The D90 is a bit slower then a D300, but will still do 4.5fps, which I think is pretty decent.

Try a D90, you might be surprised how good it is.

Advertisement