Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales v Ireland (pre/during/post thread)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

jank wrote: »
    Had to get up at 5:30 am here to watch it in Christchurch. Thought there would only be a few of us there, but the pub was packed!!!

All Irish or did the New Zealanders get up to watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

heroes. every single one of them. forget everything that has passed don't lay the blame game.

we are the grand slam champions. **** yes.

feel so so so sorry for stephen jones, he's going to portrayed as the villian when he deserves none of it.

exceptional end to a grand slam for us.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Nice to see it got a headline on the wikipedia main page.

Bear in my mind that most of the English Wikipedia's readers are outside Europe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

jayteecork wrote: »
    All Irish or did the New Zealanders get up to watch it?

Just Irish and Welsh. The Kiwis are crap spectators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

jank wrote: »
    Had to get up at 5:30 am here to watch it in Christchurch. Thought there would only be a few of us there, but the pub was packed!!! The pints flowed, victory followed, more pints were consumed and before you know it we were pissed eating full Irish at 11:30 while onlooking Japanese tourists were wondering that the hell was going on with all the sing songs!

A special day to be Irish where ever in the world you are!

Nobody can ever say they didnt deserve it.

Thats a class time for the game, Id say the novelty of the whole timing wgich such and event was great fun amd one helluva experince!

I was in a limbo time zone where KO was 3.30 AM, stay up all the way to 6 am or go tobed early and get up again for the match !

Eventually went to bed at 6.30 AM with the sun blazingshattered now but happy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Thank you Bod for giving me the most memorable night off my life, never again will I look up to any sportsman with so much respect than you.
    He showed his doubters last night and over the last 5 games that he is the best player in Irish rugby history and nobody will ever come close to becoming as good as him in our lifetime.
    At halftime I wanted to kill ROG but i must say he stepped up for once and produced two moments of brilliance.

AMAZING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭gadaven

congratulations !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Thats a class time for the game, Id say the novelty of the whole timing wgich such and event was great fun amd one helluva experince!

I was in a limbo time zone where KO was 3.30 AM, stay up all the way to 6 am or go tobed early and get up again for the match !

Eventually went to bed at 6.30 AM with the sun blazingshattered now but happy! :)

Yea same as us. The kick off was 6:30 so it was stay up all night drinking, and go to bed about 9:00am ish or get up early. It worked out well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

Just home from it and it was fecking awesome. Now to go through all the photographs of that game and the U20 match.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I am so happy for Paddy Wallace that Jones missed that kick. Wallace was walking around in a daze for twenty minutes after the game. Initially he didn't seem to get involved in the celebrations. I think he was still in shock!

Giving that penalty away was a really silly error. I think Wallaces would have found it very difficult to get over if that kick went over.

Just glad that Henson didn't take it, because I would have found it very hard to get over if Henson finished us off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 blukee

congratulations !
    From Chinese student, Galway. :pac: It was a great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

fantastic result, great day for irish sport with a grand slam champs and a new wba world champion as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

thank God!

they well deserve it, and will set the next few years up.

feel sorry for keith wood, hickie etc who gave so many great days and yet won v little

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭Dave Joyce

heroes. every single one of them. forget everything that has passed don't lay the blame game.

Totally agree!!! What a game and what a group of heroes the whole SQUAD(!). Delighted for all of them and I think they all played great, and totally deserved the win, but I have to say I'm delighted particularly for BOD who thoroughly deserves to captain a GRAND SLAM winning team.......Jesus that sounds SO GOOD to say:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Men and women of Ireland when our provinvial teams combine we are the Grand slam Champions of Europe.

WELL DONE BOYS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

what a moment when they collected the trophy.

definitely the happiest moment of my life. I can't even use my voice today from all the screaming yesterday.

looking forward to the festivities in town later.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

At halftime I wanted to kill ROG but i must say he stepped up for once as usual and produced two moments of brilliance.

Fixed your post there..... ;)

There's been plenty of negative comment about O'Gara, on this forum and elsewhere in recent times and I don't want to derail this thread, a celebration that all of us have waited for but think it's fair to say the following: ROG has had some off-moments during this campaign but O'Driscoll himself commented yersterday on his ability to do the job in high-pressure moments and his contribution in terms of setting the tone in a team context - yesterday wasn't the first time and I sincerely doubt that it will be the last.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭MonkeyWrench

What an amazing day of sport, I think we'll be telling our grandkids about this one for a long time to come. It couldn't have been any more nerve wracking at the final whistle. Congrats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

ROG won the game for Ireland with the DG. He should be made a national hero. Delighted we won, but still can't believe the indiscipline and amount of penos we gave away. It would have been a travesty if we lost, as we were much the better team. C'mon Ireland, and well done to all the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Great quality highlights here and interviews....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/default.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

[QUOTE=Erin Go Brath;59506102 ROG won the game for Ireland with the DG. He should be made a national hero. Delighted we won, but still can't believe the indiscipline and amount of penos we gave away. It would have been a travesty if we lost, as we were much the better team. C'mon Ireland, and well done to all the boys![/QUOTE]

Amazing viewpoint that LMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭ScholesyIsGod

No matter what anybody says about the man, he cant tackle, he cant run, he cant do this that or the other at the end of the day he always does the business when it really matters, Ronan O' Gara is one of Irelands all time greats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,422 ✭✭✭Tirabaralla

Just wanted to say...despite Italy ending up with the woodden spoon...I am so glad for Ireland!
    WELL DONE, buachaillì!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,317 ✭✭✭✭phog

Was at the game and it was nerve wrecking, a Welsh guy tipped me on the shoulder just before Jones stepped up to take the kick and he asked me what I thought, I said " you could put your house on it, Wales for the TC and Ireland for the 6Ns but no GS :(", then the next thing I saw Murphy checking with the ref about the time and touching down to end the game, Ireland GS winners.

Well done Ireland.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Stunning performance from Ireland. And they did it against 16 men. I really think that
    ref was so so out to penalise the slightest thing Ireland did. He was constantly looking
    to give penalties against us and many for pretty much NOTHING. Nothing discernible anyway.

So, had Jones nailed that kick, IMO, the lesser team would have won. Ireland went out and WON that match andf got no favors from the ref. He was their enemy.

Every single player was superb with O'Connell just standing out slightly.

BOD should retire now and never have to lift a finger again. The man
    is a true true Irish hero. What a player, leader and gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭twinytwo

walshb wrote: »
    Stunning performance from Ireland. And they did it against 16 men. I really think that
    ref was so so out to penalise the slightest thing Ireland did. He was constantly looking
    to give penalties against us and many for pretty much NOTHING. Nothing discernible anyway.

So, had Jones nailed that kick, IMO, the lesser team would have won. Ireland went out and WON that match andf got no favors from the ref. He was their enemy.

Every single player was superb with O'Connell just standing out slightly.

BOD should retire now and never have to lift a finger again. The man
    is a true true Irish hero. What a player, leader and gentleman

I doubt many forwards could have got that try not to mention a back.... All the Rog haters please go die in a hole. As i said he would when he was needed most he stepped up and delievered. All i can say is if O connell and O Driscoll play like they have in the 6N's for the lions then SA better watch out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Grand Slam Homecoming is on RTE1 right now. I'm getting shivers all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,694 ✭✭✭✭walshb

twinytwo wrote: »
    I doubt many forwards could have got that try not to mention a back.... All the Rog haters please go die in a hole. As i said he would when he was needed most he stepped up and delievered. All i can say is if O connell and O Driscoll play like they have in the 6N's for the lions then SA better watch out

The forwards aren't built to get those type of tries. BOD is one of the most natural
    all around players ever. He's perfectly built for the game in almost any position.

How anyone can "hate" O'Gara is beyond me. He has consistently been a match
    winner for Ireland and is the 6 Nations greatest points scorer. He's a legend.

He is a definitely a thorn in in the sides of the Welsh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

AAAAaaaaahhhhhhhh apparantly Hook and the boys were crying when we won..... "very emotional" comes their defence! :D

Advertisement