Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales v Ireland (pre/during/post thread)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Don't see how we can go around calling ourselves Grand Slam champions of Europe when Portugal, Spain, Holland, and Sweden for example all have rugby union teams and when was the last time we played them?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Are you for real?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

jayteecork wrote: »
    Don't see how we can go around calling ourselves Grand Slam champions of Europe when Portugal, Spain, Holland, and Sweden for example all have rugby union teams and when was the last time we played them?

Because they are not up to the Standard of Ireland France England Wales Scotlandand Italy ! plus Between the november/summer tours along with Magners/HEC where would we find the time???
    Thanks For Yesterday Lads it made me a very happy woman who has been waiting the last 20 years to see this happen !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

We did play Spain and Portugal in the 90s IFIRC but even Connacht could beat them easily, it's a waste of an international weekend to play teams that won't help us develop.

The sooner Argentina gets a place in an international competition the better. We really need to play teams like that, more often.

Very decent article here http://www.scrum.com/sixnations/rugby/story/93823.html

Edit
    oops, didn't realise link was already posted on the "scribblings thread"

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »
    We did play Spain and Portugal in the 90s IFIRC but even Connacht could beat them easily, it's a waste of an international weekend to play teams that won't help us develop.

lol.
    Some people take things too seriously.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Am I the only one who thought that the RTE coverage of the home-coming was just absolutely shameful :confused: And what was Des Cahill(of all people) doing up there? and treating them like schoolkids with his “wave to the crowd lads” and “okay, you stand over there” la-di-da approach ... surely RTE had some rugby pundit they could have put on the stage with the team.

I gotta mention though that Tommy Bowe was simply priceless, I was actually crying laughing listenin/watching the man . Now, he is one man I wouldn't mind kicking off a session with on a night out (singing of course)

No - I pretty much posted that on the homecoming thread. Our guys deserved better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Huge for the players and the perfect start for Kidney. He now has the chance to build for the WC and this win gives him the ideal oppurtunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

WOOT! :D

That is all.

• Advertisement

Huge for the players

I misread that as "hugs for the players" and was wondering where this thread was going :D

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

Well done lads, brilliant result, was quaking towards the end!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

kerry4sam wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thought that the RTE coverage of the home-coming was just absolutely shameful :confused: And what was Des Cahill(of all people) doing up there? and treating them like schoolkids with his “wave to the crowd lads” and “okay, you stand over there” la-di-da approach ... surely RTE had some rugby pundit they could have put on the stage with the team.

I gotta mention though that Tommy Bowe was simply priceless, I was actually crying laughing listenin/watching the man . Now, he is one man I wouldn't mind kicking off a session with on a night out (singing of course)

paddy wallace "i just thought the game needed a bit of exitement"

I think Rory Best, Steven Ferris, and Paddy Wallace should be knighted myself.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

After the match Donners gave his medal to his mother for Mothers Day, she was the first one off the plane in Cork complete with medal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

AAAAaaaaahhhhhhhh apparantly Hook and the boys were crying when we won..... "very emotional" comes their defence! :D

Those guys has the best banter on tv, they are not afraid to say anything, you can tell there are huge fans of rugby themselves:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

lovinit wrote: »
    Those guys has the best banter on tv, they are not afraid to say anything, you can tell there are huge fans of rugby themselves:)

My hubbie cryed last night likea baby,this morning while reading the papers(any paper he could get his hands on),later watching the replay and then when we watched the home coming.He is gone to bed now exausted physicaly and mentaly:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I think most of the people who watched that match yesterday are in the scratcher now or about to go!!Goodnight all you exausted fans and sweet dreams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭catch88

Did shane horgan not play in this years 6 nations?

catch88 wrote: »
    Did shane horgan not play in this years 6 nations?

Yes.
    He cut his hair short, bleached it, and changed his name by deedpoll to Luke Fitzgerald.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

Great game on Saturday a fitting finale from the 2 best teams in the tournament. So from this Welshman huge congratulations to Ireland for a well earned Grand Slam. To win a slam with the added pressure of history showed great courage and no little skill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

eeyore2502 wrote: »
    It happened us too!!!! Husband is frecking out even though he seen it too he wanted to keep it!! and it was recording during the match! it just says failed in the listing!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Happened to me too, had tro do something but checked it was recording before I left which it was. Came back a half hour into the game and went to watch it from the begining but it just wouldn't play and eventually my box shut down. Had to reboot but thankfully it was only the first half hour I missed !

As soon as the game was over I immediately rewound and watched the last 10 minutes again such was its awsomeness ! It was as thrilling second time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Let me tell you that the Welsh in Cardiff that day were amazing and hugely gracious in defeat. I lost count of the amount of locals who came to shook my hand and congratulate afterwards.

Agreed. I was sitting with Welsh fans all around me. They wished us well before the game but when the match started they got behind their team as expected. Those final few minutes both sets of supporters were shouting on their team. When the final whistle blew I must have shook hands with 15 Welsh fans seated near me. They all wished Ireland well and said we deserved to win it.

Funny though as we stayed in Bristol on Sat night and some of the English fans we met in the clubs were also congratulating us on beating the Welsh. We couldn't lose!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

What a weekend. So happy, and also wrecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

more posts deleted. can we stick to the topic please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 MORGANTHEMOON

RuggieBear wrote: »
    more posts deleted. can we stick to the topic please.
    Where have my posts gone they were about thae match and very compementry to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Where have my posts gone they were about thae match and very compementry to Ireland
    some of the posts were deleted as they were derailing the thread. Yours were mostly fine but were replying to these posts.

anyway back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Did anyone else think Wayne Barnes had a hopeless game, 16:6 penalty count, that penalty given against DOC for sledging would have been fair except Adam Jones patted Marcus Horan on the head 5 minutes later after they won a penalty and Barnes did nothing.
    In build up to final jones penalty, there was clear crossing which he chose to ignore.
    even for BOD's try Rees must have come into the side of the ruck at least 3 times, once again ignored.
    stringers 'forward' pass 2 feet behind him to Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

bamboozle wrote: »
    Did anyone else think Wayne Barnes had a hopeless game, 16:6 penalty count, that penalty given against DOC for sledging would have been fair except Adam Jones patted Marcus Horan on the head 5 minutes later after they won a penalty and Barnes did nothing.
    In build up to final jones penalty, there was clear crossing which he chose to ignore.
    even for BOD's try Rees must have come into the side of the ruck at least 3 times, once again ignored.
    stringers 'forward' pass 2 feet behind him to Murphy.

Actually thought he was quite consistent throughout the game in how he was reffing it. He allowed Ireland to be offside alot and some of his decisions in an around the tackle were marginal but overall Wales were better at playing the game his way and we were a bit nervy thus the higher penalty count. Though Heaslip was unlucky to be penalised but only when seeing the reply more clumsy than anything else as for doing DOC for retaliation well what can you say it was a stupid thing to do in front of the ref where as Adam Jones tried to wind up Horan but it wasn't an aggressive act so wasn't really something he could give a penalty for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

completely disagree. it was a stupid and soft penalty for barnes to give and completely inconsitent.

you can see o connell giving out to him afterwards mouthing the words "that's soft" to barnes.

Advertisement