Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wales v Ireland (pre/during/post thread)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

_45580600_bod_kick226.jpg

I love the way this is the image BBC have on their latest story about Wales vs Ireland. "The war of words between Wales and Ireland is heating up". :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

haha I was just about to post this :-p
    Its great. Looks like BOD is kicking the **** out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Stealdo

haha I was just about to post this :-p
    Its great. Looks like BOD is kicking the **** out of him.

Far more likely that BOD was off on his way to the next breakdown and Jenkins is holding him back, but it fits well with the theme of the story.

Edit to add - how gammy looking are those gloves that they all wore for a couple of years there?
    Second edit - don't think that's Gethin Jenkins actually - looks like his head but not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

stephen_n wrote: »

What makes you think we would cough up 13 points without reply since our defence has been one of the best in the 6N if not the best??

Because Wales are probably one of the only team in the championship who look comfortable from scoring from first phase possession from set pieces. Also im not exactly convinced by our own attacking ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Conf101 wrote:
    When it comes to Flan vs. Best I think it's pretty close. In all matches whoever has started has had accurate throwing and whoever came on has had slightly dodgy throwing. People were criticising Best's throwing on here before the Scotland match and now they're criticising Flannery's. They're both great throwers lads, but whoever starts usually comes off looking better!

True. and in fact I was calling for Fla after about 15 minutes of the Scots game - it was the kind of match where an extra slightly more mobile forward would have benefited the side in a game where the Scots were putting fierce pressure to retain posession, whereas against England i'd have preferred Best to start. Horses for courses and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I'm so frickin excited about this game tomorrow. Damn radio stations won't shut the hell up about it!

Lee Byrne and his bleedin guns will have to take a step back IMO.

I've a sneaking suspicion that we'll see S Williams going over the line unfortunately.

General concencus amongst my mates is Ireland to win the championship but to lose the game. I don't agree.

Ireland by a score with Johnny Hayes to go over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

i've got nausea already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

24 hours to kick off.... I'm doing my dammedest not to think about it but it's not working!

My name is on Heaslip's shirt so my money's on him going over for a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

bleg wrote: »
    i've got nausea already

+ 1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

According to reports from the Welsh camp, number 8 Andy Powell is an injury concern ahead of tomorrow's game.

He pulled out of today’s final training session due to a sore thigh muscle, and coach Warren Gatland admitted that they are concerned about his fitness. His will face a fitness test to determine his availability before tomorrow's kick-off.

If Powell is ruled out, Scarlets forward Dafydd Jones would enter the back-row, with Jonathan Thomas taking over from Jones among the replacements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Colm_OReilly

Lot more respectful view of the Irish from Williams here: http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/13274.php

Also, Powell an Injury concern: http://www.rbs6nations.com/en/13278.php

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

In the midst of an economic crisis, games like Ireland vs Wales are just what we need.

The tension leading up the game during the week is what makes sport special. I'm overcome with excitement.

Seeing players like BOD taking hit after hit against England, 35 year old John Hayes making last ditch tackles against the French, Strings showing a bit of brillance against the Scots, these guys make me so proud to be a supporter of Irish rugby.

Every 22 that has gone out to play in every game has put their body on the line for Ireland. These guys deserve to go down in the annals of greatness as Grand Slam Champions 2009.

There is no words to describe the pride I feel in our national team.

Good luck, lads.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Always a good listen :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/radiowales.shtml

Rhod Gilbert live from Cardiff on BBC Radio Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

eoin99 wrote: »

Dont worry yourself with that bollocks. The team arent.

Nervous as f**k now. Made the decision not to go to the pub to stay home and watch with aul fella. Im gonna be a wreck come kick off. Supporting Ireland puts years on you im sure of it.

COME ON IRELAND!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭eoin99

MikeHoncho wrote: »

Nervous as f**k now. Made the decision not to go to the pub to stay home and watch with aul fella. Im gonna be a wreck come kick off. Supporting Ireland puts years on you im sure of it.

COME ON IRELAND!!!

I agree that the team aren't going to worry about Gatland. It seems that the whole Ireland camp seem to have their heads in the right place, just solely focused on the task in hand. Whereas Gatland smacks of bitterness, taking pot shots at Ireland and Kidney.

I can't imagine it's helping the Welsh camp though, and comments like that surely will rile up the Irish more to play for. If that's possible!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

eoin99 wrote: »

lol, yeah I wouldn't worry about it. He sounds like he's been more focused on his media campaign than his tactics on the pitch :p

I'm pretty sure the Irish team have been on as much of a media boycott as is possible for the past week as BOD pretty much stated.

This will be a great match anyway and the longest game of your life :D

On another note, its great to see all of Ireland become rugby fanatics for a day. I hope the team perform to the standard we know they can achieve and that nerves don't get to them. BOD looked very nervous last night in an interview I saw which I suppose is to be expected to a certain extent. Hopefully the nerves settle with the first kick of the ball.

After the Scotland game they seemed very much up for this game and up for the grand slam. Lets hope they achieve for their own sake, they deserve after years of being so close.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭yogidc26

He is only taking back what he said cause he has to work with the Irish lads in the summer on the Loins trip

What a Pr1ck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Any word on the roof?

I doubt it'll make a difference weather-wise, as by all accounts it's a cracking day in Cardiff. It should be open, but I can't find any word online.

Just having a bit of breakfast here, and then off to the pub to catch England-Scotland as a warm-up.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Should be studying but looking forward to this too much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

once williams, byrne and shanklin are looked after i think that will stop much of wales attackin power

ireland need to use the ball wide as opposed to the slow game they played against scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

ireland_fans3.jpg

COME ON IRELAND!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

juvenal wrote: »
    COME ON IRELAND!!!

God I'm so excited about this :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I hope they absolutely hammer the utter **** out of Wales, just to ram Gatlands pussy talk down his throat.

COME ON IRELAND!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

yerayeah wrote: »
    Should be studying but looking forward to this too much!!

Ditto !!

This is a holy grail as far as im concerned. Since this Irish team turned the corner in February 2000 against Scotland, it has been clear that we are in line for a Grand Slam. We have won 4/5 games regularly since then, and 2008 was the first time since 1999 that we didnt win at least three.

Ireland have been in the zone this year, and I feel its similar to Munster's Henieken Cup triumph in 2006 and 2008. After two near misses (2000/2002), they finally mustered the goods and delivered. The National Team's near misses came in 2003 (against the BEST Northern Hemisphere side of any era), and in 2007 (when we lost the championship on a points differential). This season has been very impressive, even if we have not played pretty, or racked up more than 40 points in one game. Once Heaslip scored against Scotland, Ireland closed ranks. England were dispatched with relative ease, although the last few moments were declared unsafe for anybody with a pacemaker. France was a fine performance, and regardless of how well or poorly you play againt the Italians, you will never get any plaudits. This is due to their record in this decade, and their regular concession of 50+ points. In fact, four of five potnetial opponents, have clocked up over half a century
    of points against the Azzuri. As I speak, France look on course to do it again.

Players like O'Driscoll, O Gara, Hayes, O Connell, O Callaghan, Wallace, D'Arcy, and Horan are very used to this type of pressure environment. They have hundreds of caps between them, almost 100 years of international experience between them, as they have been the spine of a successful team (which save New Zealand, has taken out every relevant opposition from both hemispheres in the past three years). In 2006 Munster were due their Heiniken Cup win. That was due to their incredible stickability to the task at hand, and their never say die attitude. Near misses never dented their confidence, and year in, and year out virtually the same group of players came together and fought it out with Europe's best.

While both teams contain exciting players, and have trys available from all parts of the team, I feel the boots of Stephen Jones and Ronan O Gara will be crucial. Neither side will be willing to pass tthe buck defensively, and this will result in a turged, and hard fought game. However, much like Ireland in 2005, Wales's end is the Championship, which is never greatly celebrated if not accompanied by a Grand Slam. This was reflected in the mooted celebrations of England in 2001 and France in 2007. Ireland are the only side in with a chance, and it is up to them to take it. Forcing errors, eaking out penalties, and spotting the gaps (if and when they appear) will make all the difference.

10 years ago, on the final weekend of the final 5 nations Championship, Ireland were hockied by a Scotland side in decline. This was the thin edge of a gaping wedge. In the last international of the millenium, Ireland were beaten by an ordinary Argentina. The first game of the new Millenium saw a mauling at the hands of England in Twickenham. Since then, the guts of this side has beaten France in Paris (and three time in Dublin), England in Twickers (and that wonderful 43-13 game at Croker), lost only once to Scotland, and three times to Wales. They have taken out Australia, South Africa, Argentina, and really put the wind up All Black sails in 2001. This was unimaginable in the 1990s, when we lost 10 times to France, 9 times to Scotland, 8 times to England, were beaten by Namabia, Italy (at home and away), Samoa (in Dublin by close to 30 points), conceeded 30 points to Romania and Japan, and were mauled by the All Blacks (63-13) and the Sppringboks (38-0).

The Time has come for this team to deliver. Well founded doubts existed in 2003 and 2007...however, in 2009 no such doubts hould exist. This Irish team is ready. And if they are willing, and put in 80 of the hardest and most flawless minuites of their live's...Ireland will celebrate tonight !

Sorry about the ramble !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Any one else getting extremely nervous now?? Only couple of hours away from one of the biggest games in Irish rugby history!! Stomach is in knotts at this stage!!

In one man we trust!

610x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

MikeHoncho wrote: »

COME ON IRELAND!!!

Same as that. I would have had a certain amount of limited respect and admiration for him up until this week. But this is just petty sh!te now. He had his revenge last year over Ireland/EO'S after being shafted or whatever by the IRFU. Now get over it, STFU and get on with managing Wales. Mouthy pr1ck, I hope we shove it all back down his throat. Poisionous bitter git.

COME ON THE IRISH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 samhaydenjr

When I think of what's required today from the Irish team in terms of attitude I think back to the 2002 football World Cup game against Cameroon and what Mick McCarthy wrote on a board after a jittery first-half performance: "NO REGRETS"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

LoL! They fear us that much they are trying to play mind games :D

What a tw@t,

COME ON IRELAND

Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!Ireland!!! Ireland!!! Ireland!!!

PS:: can we get Irish Green on the "Colors option" :D

Advertisement