Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublinarttattoo - Marco & Michele

Options
  • 17-03-2009 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Greetings folks,

I'm getting a quarter sleeve done maori/japanese hybrid incorprating a tattoo I already have. I'd like to know what are people's opinions of Marco in dublinarttattoo just above cafe Irie in temple bar?

He is doing a sketch for me and seemed very friendly and had good ideas with the sketch. Prob is, I don't see that much of his work on the website www.dublinarttattoo.com most of it seems to be Michele's which looks awesome. I spoke to Marco when first went in and he offered to do a sketch and said he would do the work, so I didn't refuse a sketch. Would it be better to ask Michele to do the work, or just hold out and see what Marco produces for the final sketch?

Any opinions, comments appreciated..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I'd say wait to see what Marco comes up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 bats09

hey,

Thanks for reply. I will be doing that.

Does anyone have any tattoos by him involving detail and shading maori style? It would be great to get your feedback on experiences and how you feel about the work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 jackonmsn

i got work there yesterday. marco is a sound guy and tribal is there thing they won best tribal at the tattoo expo. you can see more of marco's work in the books in the shop he is wicked good

Thats great to know. Thanks.

Did you get some japanese work done? thats what im looking at, japanese maori hybrid work. I must say they are very friendly to deal with, they take the time to discuss various options.

I havn't had work done yet but it would be good to see yours?

They should get more of their work on the site though definitely!

ok for some reason my pc isnt letting me add a picture to this message so if you pm me your email adress ill send you a pic of my tat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I'm just getting my Japanese sleeve finished by Michele at the moment, we started months ago and due to cash restrictions I was only able to get a few hours done a month. However, its great work, very well done, he is an intense dude but gets the job done. He free handed the entire thing onto my arm and really gave me what I was looking for.

As for Marco, he's a cool guy but I'm not too familiar with his work. I'd say its pretty good though. However for Japanese / tribal stuff you can't really fault Michele.

I've attached a pic (pre-colour) so you can see it.

jackonmsn wrote: »
    ok for some reason my pc isnt letting me add a picture to this message so if you pm me your email adress ill send you a pic of my tat.

thanks, pm sent.

I'm just getting my Japanese sleeve finished by Michele at the moment, we started months ago and due to cash restrictions I was only able to get a few hours done a month. However, its great work, very well done, he is an intense dude but gets the job done. He free handed the entire thing onto my arm and really gave me what I was looking for.

As for Marco, he's a cool guy but I'm not too familiar with his work. I'd say its pretty good though. However for Japanese / tribal stuff you can't really fault Michele.

That is some really nice work and very close to what I'm looking for. I guess from what you are saying these boys are the main man for this type of design. cheers for pic

cash restrictions

can i ask how much did that cost you or typically how much per hour i mean... its awesome btw

jackonmsn wrote: »
    can i ask how much did that cost you or typically how much per hour i mean... its awesome btw

They charge €150 an hour. I would normally get 2 - 3 hours done each time. Total? I don't know really, I can't remember how many times I've been! I suppose I've been in around 6 or 7 times, or maybe more. So in total it'll have been over a grand. Its a time-intensive thing - the design first, Michele took his time getting the design right and drawing and re-drawing parts etc. Then lining it out. Then black background (this takes some time). Then shading work. Then colour. The colour alone for the cherry blossoms and half the big flower took hours. Ideally it'd be better to go in for 4 hours at a time and get loads done but I just couldn't spare that kind of money each month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Marco done some Polynesian stuff (all black and gray) on my leg, bit of pen to outline and then done most of it freehand. Still very happy with it 2 years on. He's quite good too, I'd say wait and see what he comes up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

They charge €150 an hour.

Good lord. :eek: Thats very very expensive! Is this the highest rate in Ireland? What they've done for you there with your sleeve is very very nice. Still think the hourly rate is over-priced at t 150 though. Still as long as you're happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Hi all,

Got the outline done of my Dragon by Marco a few days ago.Very happy with it and they are great guys in there.The only problem is the steep price,but thought It'd be worth it.
    256490174a10601771357l.jpg

It is expensive but I would rather pay more for better work and take longer doing it, than pay less and get not as good work. Maybe it is expensive... I didn't really check around to see how much the other places were but I remember when I got my first tattoo in Zulu it was about the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

It is expensive but I would rather pay more for better work and take longer doing it, than pay less and get not as good work. Maybe it is expensive... I didn't really check around to see how much the other places were but I remember when I got my first tattoo in Zulu it was about the same?

I hear where you're coming from, I get the 'pay for quality' frame of thinking, I dont necessarily 100% agree with the thinking but I understand it and what you have there is a great tattoo and one to be proud of when its done.
    To my knowledge Jani in Zulu is still charging €100 (at least he was a few months ago so who knows right now?) having said that I probably wouldn't have him do such a large piece in that style on me.
    Art Tattoo are AFAIK right now the best for Japanese style in Dublin, even still, I think at €150 per hour they are overpriced.

Diceicle wrote: »
    I hear where you're coming from, I get the 'pay for quality' frame of thinking, I dont necessarily 100% agree with the thinking but I understand it and what you have there is a great tattoo and one to be proud of when its done.
    To my knowledge Jani in Zulu is still charging €100 (at least he was a few months ago so who knows right now?) having said that I probably wouldn't have him do such a large piece in that style on me.
    Art Tattoo are AFAIK right now the best for Japanese style in Dublin, even still, I think at €150 per hour they are overpriced.

AFAIK - new one on me but I hear what you are saying and that's good to know. I'm due to get mine done soon and I have to say Marco was great in the run up - i.e discussing options, patient with loads of questions etc etc - i'd love to see more of his jap style work if anyone has it done to show.

p.s that last dragon piece post on here looked awesome is you can already see will be a great piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Your sleeve is amazing man. I booked Michele to do my Japanese sleeve, very similar to yours (flowers, cherry blossoms and waves)
    Still don’t know if I want to go with black and white or colour yet.

Have you got any colour done to it yet?

Iv'e just had my quarter sleeve 90% finished by Marco, black and grey - I'm very happy with it, he is very good at Japanese, tribal sleeve style.

Post some pics dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭bobtjustice

bats09 wrote: »
    hey,

Thanks for reply. I will be doing that.

Does anyone have any tattoos by him involving detail and shading maori style? It would be great to get your feedback on experiences and how you feel about the work?

The inside of my Maori Sleeve is up on the lads website. (Slide 15/20 on the Tribal, Black and Grey colours) I've been going to Michele for the past 4 years. Its down to my elbow now hopefully geting my lower arm done by the end of August. Its been a long process over a few years.
    But both the lads are a very talented. I wouldn't go to anyone else for a tattoo in Ireland now. Both sound guys too. Which helps.!

http://www.dublinarttattoo.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=14&p=1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Darren837

Hi im looking to get a tattoo, either maori or polynesian, something like the Dwayne johnson (the rock), where would i find the best tattoo artist for the job in dublin, i want someone who understands the language, thanks for any help i can get

Post some pics dude.

pm me and ill send you a few no probs

Yeah I got some colour done. Pretty much finished now, the only thing left is the lotus flower.

If its Japanese, I'd say get colour. They can be so vibrant. Also, in my case, I had a lot of white (blank) space with the waves and the space between the wind bars, so if I'd kept the flowers blank too (and they are pretty big) there'd be too much space between the detail. I suppose you could get them shaded if you wanted to stay b/w, but colour makes it look more finished IMO.

Here's detail of the colour chrysanthemum I got (which follows on from my other thread about colouring Japanese style, there's a "in progress" photo there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭tattoodublin

Darren837 wrote: »
    Hi im looking to get a tattoo, either maori or polynesian, something like the Dwayne johnson (the rock), where would i find the best tattoo artist for the job in dublin, i want someone who understands the language, thanks for any help i can get

Attached a photo of work I've done on a gentleman here in Dublin, drawn up from photos of the Rock's tat, but made a bit different for individuality, this photo was taken before piece was finished (still working towards chest area at that time). I have worked with local artists in New Zealand , Easter Island and Tahiti www.tattoodublin.com

31a_popup.jpg

By the way, I know Michele and Marco and they are both very sound A-1 blokes. Pluto

Yeah I got some colour done. Pretty much finished now, the only thing left is the lotus flower.

If its Japanese, I'd say get colour. They can be so vibrant. Also, in my case, I had a lot of white (blank) space with the waves and the space between the wind bars, so if I'd kept the flowers blank too (and they are pretty big) there'd be too much space between the detail. I suppose you could get them shaded if you wanted to stay b/w, but colour makes it look more finished IMO.

Here's detail of the colour chrysanthemum I got (which follows on from my other thread about colouring Japanese style, there's a "in progress" photo there).

The colours look amazing mate, real vibrant. I think I'll defo go with colour after seeing that. the cherry blossoms look savage. cheers for that. :pac:

Trevor, you didn't happen to be the bloke getting the half sleeve today from Marco? I was getting my sleeve finished by Michele at the same time. If so, nice job - it looks great!

Mine's finally finished. Ahh......

Na, wasn't me man. I start my sleeve this Monday.

Oh right, well best of luck with it.

Good timing as I've just got mine finished!! FINALLY. I'm so pleased with it, it looks deadly. It was good as I really was able to get what I wanted, particularly with the colouring, so its good to know that and remember it, argue your case unless he is quite certain it won't work. But if you know what you want, you should be able to get it.

Anyway attached is a picture of my finished sleeve.

Oh right, well best of luck with it.

Good timing as I've just got mine finished!! FINALLY. I'm so pleased with it, it looks deadly. It was good as I really was able to get what I wanted, particularly with the colouring, so its good to know that and remember it, argue your case unless he is quite certain it won't work. But if you know what you want, you should be able to get it.

Anyway attached is a picture of my finished sleeve.

Dude it's amazing, the colours are so vibrant, I love the contrast betwen the black waves and the cherry blossoms.

I'm in more then safe hands I guess. I'll post some pics up once I get started. I'd say we'll only get the line work done Monday.

• Advertisement

I'm in more then safe hands I guess. I'll post some pics up once I get started. I'd say we'll only get the line work done Monday.

I'm probably too late in saying this as its now Monday, but I had a bit of a wait before I started getting actually tattooed. Michele spent about 2 hours drawing freehand on my arm, rubbing off, drawing again, rubbing off, before he was happy with the design (and I - I was originally going to cover up another tattoo and he based the design around that, but then I decided to keep it and he had to change the design). Hopefully Marco will do the same for you.

Let us know how you get on!

Advertisement