Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pump activating CONSTANTLY

Options
  • 17-03-2009 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

Hi there my apartment is all hooked up to the pump, the dishwasher, taps, showers-everything!! My pump is activating all the time but I can't turn it off because obviously when I'm asleep I have the dishwasher on etc and also a plumber came last week and turned it off and it never came back on!!! no water and expensive to get a different plumber out to fix it. I had a problem with a dripping shower which I thought was why the pump was going all the time. The plumber came to fix it though and now the shower is no longer dripping but the pump is still going all the time!!!! I have noticed there is constantly a trickling noise in the boiler also...Im terrified the pump is going to ware itself out and I hear they are expensive to replace, anyone know what could be wrong?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

This happened to us too and it turned out that we had a burst pipe under the floor that was spewing water into the foundations and thus the pump was activating continuously to refill the heating system.

Since then, the pump will kick in sometimes for a few seconds even though no water is being used but when I investigate the problem, it turns out that one of the kids hasn't turned a tap off completely and even a minor drip will cause the pump to activate.

Do a walk round of all water related items in the house and check for leaks, i.e. taps, toilets, dishwasher, washing machine, showers, radiators etc. If nothing obvious shows up, then ask your neighbours if they have any leaks that may be coming from your place (i.e. if you are in an apartment, is the person downstairs noticing any damp patches on his ceilings). You'll probably end up getting a plumber in to fix the problem but if you can at least identify where it is, you'll save on the labour cost as the plumber won't waste time doing his own search for the leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have had this also. Usually it is just a dripping tap, but on one occasion it was a toilet. Limescale built up on the inlet valve to the cistern so it wasn't sealing properly and so was always filling, with the excess flowing into the bowl via the overflow. Very simple job to disassemble the valve and remove the limescale.

The trickling noise in the boiler doesn't sound good. I presume you are talking about times when the Ch is not on. If it is a sealed sytem, where the CH system is pressurised by the pump, it could be there is a leak in the system somewhere and the trickling sound is water flowing from the pump through the boiler to wherever the leak is.

If you have a leak in the CH system you likely would have some air in the radiators. Have they been gurgling a lot? You could try bleeding a couple to check for air.

Advertisement