Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

sorry about that thought I copied in the correct link thanks for editing Furet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I noticed that the northbound side of the M3 was getting surfaced late last week near the Dunshaughlin/ R125 Junction (Junction 6 I think). The northbound on and off ramps were also surfaced, there’s still another layer to go however, so don’t get too excited. But, I was expecting to see a toll booth to be build on the northbound “on ramp” towards Navan, like the M8 (Fermoy Bypass) or the M1 (Drogheda). I know where the two Toll Plazas are, but can anyone (maybe imeddyhobbs can) confirm if any junctions are to have toll booths? Or is the M3 toll free between Dunshaughlin and Navan?

Yes it will be toll free!

You can enter the motorway at Dunshaughlin (at the new Trim Rd) and exit just before Navan at the new Kilcarn Rd.Its a bit pointless imo leaving the existing N3 at Dunshaughlin to use the M3 as it wont save you any time in getting you to Navan,The best use of this free 17km stretch of motorway is if you are coming from Dublin,leave the N3 and head towards Trim (via batterstown) and then use the new Dunshaughlin Rd and from there onto the M3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Some toll plaza pics and

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Thanks imeddyhobbs for confirming that, so the M3 is going to be free from Dunshaughlin to Navan (Kilcarn Rd), imeddyhobbs is it free to the Athboy Interchange (N52)?

The best use of this free 17km stretch of motorway is if you are coming from Dublin,leave the N3 and head towards Trim (via batterstown) and then use the new Dunshaughlin Rd and from there onto the M3

Its funny you mentioned this, as I was thinking just that, but from the other direction. Most of the morning commuter traffic from Navan and farther afield will use the M3 to Dunshaughlin and then come off at this junction to avoid the Blackbull toll plaza at the Fairyhouse Bridge. They’re not turn for Dunshaughlin at the top of the off ramp, but they’ll turn right around the roundabout and head for the R154 through Batterstown and join up to the R147 (Old N3) at the Fairyhouse roundabout and as more commuters do this the harder it will be for Dunshaughlin/ Ratoath commuters to access the Fairyhouse roundabout. The Dunshaughlin commuters wishing to use the new stretch of the R125 for Trim/ Maynooth or even Dublin are caught too as accessing the roundabout at the Dunshaughlin side of the R125 flyover will be difficult because of the flow of traffic up the off ramp of the M3. I think most of the N3 traffic which currently uses the N3 from Dunshaughlin to Fairyhouse roundabout will move to the R125/ R154 Batterstown roads. The R154 to and from Trim is busy as it is, I think this will make for vary bad news for Batterstown and local access roads to and from the R154. The R154 is a good road, but it will be a very dangerous road with this amount of traffic on it. It looks like Meath County Council gave Dunshaughlin a by-pass via Batterstown. I now pity the locals in Batterstown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

GeneHunt wrote: »
    is the M3 is going to be free from Dunshaughlin to Navan (Kilcarn Rd), imeddyhobbs is it free to the Athboy Interchange (N52)?
    It is. The other toll plaza is north of Navan, out the Silver Tankard direction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Hi all,

Alittle off topic but what are the large metalic pipes being laid just off the Dunboyne by-pass near the Pace train station for.

The second section of the Dunboyne by-pass could well be opened by tomorrow morning Tuesday. R-about on Maynooth road complete and the second section of the by-pass being washed tonight Monday at 5:30 it is already lined etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,536 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Was just about to post "lower section of Dunboyne Bypass looks ready" there when I read the last post - it'd have saved me a good few minutes today queueing to turn right at Topaz in the village!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

eddiej wrote: »
    Hi all,

Alittle off topic but what are the large metalic pipes being laid just off the Dunboyne by-pass near the Pace train station for.

The second section of the Dunboyne by-pass could well be opened by tomorrow morning Tuesday. R-about on Maynooth road complete and the second section of the by-pass being washed tonight Monday at 5:30 it is already lined etc.

Does anyone know if the Maynooth end opened today?
    Went by at about 5am, couldn't see anything bar the fact the roundabout was fully open.

Don't know yet didn't chance it this morning in case it was not open will be going home that way and will post either way

Hi all,

Hi eddiej, you bet me to it, I was going to ask the same question! I saw the large metal pipes yesterday in what will be the car park of the Pace train station, I could be something to do with a geothermal energy heating system, and thats just a guess!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Mayo Exile

Any ideas when the N52 bypass of Kells will be open? It's part of the overall M3 scheme isn't it?

dobsdave wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Maynooth end opened today?
    Went by at about 5am, couldn't see anything bar the fact the roundabout was fully open.

Anyone know if this part of the road opened?
    I'm giving directions to someone coming from Maynooth to the N3 and beyond.

Thanks

Sorry for late reply, as of Tuesday night road NOT open, it is lined washed signed, street lighted you name it. The temporary gates they had up during construction are gone and instead those temporary armco barriers now lie across it. If this is so Dempsey can open it AHHHHHHHHHHHH! if anyone knows why this road is not open yet please let us know.

Rant over, also it maybe open by now Thurs will check tonight but given the barriers I doubt it.

Eddie

PS thought it might be a heating system too but anyone any firm thoughts.

Sorry for late reply, as of Tuesday night road NOT open, it is lined washed signed, street lighted you name it. The temporary gates they had up during construction are gone and instead those temporary armco barriers now lie across it. If this is so Dempsey can open it AHHHHHHHHHHHH! if anyone knows why this road is not open yet please let us know.

Rant over, also it maybe open by now Thurs will check tonight but given the barriers I doubt it.

Eddie

PS thought it might be a heating system too but anyone any firm thoughts.

Thanks for the update Eddiej, hopefully its open by the weekend.:)

i105107 news at 17:40 had the Dunboyne bypass down as 'opening in the next couple of minutes'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

MYOB wrote: »
    i105107 news at 17:40 had the Dunboyne bypass down as 'opening in the next couple of minutes'.

AA Roadwatch said at 07:30 that it is now open.

and so it was. Bye bye Dunboyne, nice knowing you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    AA Roadwatch said at 07:30 that it is now open.

It's now also correctly represented on OpenStreetMap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

mackerski wrote: »
    Haha - Wow! If only Navteq/Garmin etc. were as fast with their updates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

mackerski wrote: »

...wonder if the road type is NRA-DRMB S2 - 7.3m Carriageway with 2.5m Hard Shoulders. It certainly appeared so on the latest newletter, even though the road is classified as 'R157'.

Regards!

• Advertisement

...wonder if the road type is NRA-DRMB S2 - 7.3m Carriageway with 2.5m Hard Shoulders. It certainly appeared so on the latest newletter, even though the road is classified as 'R157'.

Regards!

...was on the Dunboyne Bypass - beautiful road (very wide, smooth and well finished off), but certainly not an NRA-DMRB (2009) standard - looks like a 9.0m carriageway with 2.5m hard shoulders (14.0m pavement maybe) - then there is an S4 parallel to the M3 (to Blackbull) with very narrow traffic lanes, reasonably wide bus lanes, and verge strips (again, maybe a 14.0m pavement). Can anyone tell me where the MCC-DMRB can be downloaded? :D

BTW, the number of new highways in connection with the M3 is gob smacking! :eek:

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

Plowman wrote: »

NRA-DMRB =
    National Roads Authority - Design Manual for Roads and Bridges.

MCC-DMRB =
    Meath County Council - Design Manual for Roads and Bridges...

...actually, there's no such thing as a MCC-DMRB (well I presume so!) - it's a joke on my part in relation to the road specifications that Meath County Council seems to be using for the M3 link roads - such specs are not in the NRA-DMRB (2009) document.

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Toll information has been released.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16942,en.pdf
    CLASS OF TRAFFIC BASE TOLL
    Euro (€)
    Motor Cycles (exceeding 50cc) €0.70
    Motor Cars €1.40
    Buses or Coaches €2.00
    Goods Vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight not
    exceeding 3,500 kilograms €2.00
    Goods Vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight
    exceeding 3,500 kilograms and having two or three axles €2.70
    Goods Vehicles with a design gross vehicle weight
    exceeding 3,500 kilograms and having four or more axles €3.30

So we're talking €2.80 for a trip along the full length of the M3 in a car, similar to the M4 toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭csd

Toll information has been released.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16942,en.pdf

So we're talking €2.80 for a trip along the full length of the M3 in a car, similar to the M4 toll.

I saw this, but does it say anywhere in the bye-laws that there are two €1.40 tolls to be collected? I didn't see anything to that effect, so if this is the case, where's the legal basis to charge €2.80? Anyone fancy trying to get away with paying 1.40 then refusing to pay the second toll. Could be an interesting test case if the bye-laws aren't amended :)

/csd

csd wrote: »
    I saw this, but does it say anywhere in the bye-laws that there are two €1.40 tolls to be collected? I didn't see anything to that effect, so if this is the case, where's the legal basis to charge €2.80? Anyone fancy trying to get away with paying 1.40 then refusing to pay the second toll. Could be an interesting test case if the bye-laws aren't amended :)

/csd

The bye laws apply to *each* toll plaza. There is no need for them to mention it applying twice. There is the legal basis, and the test case would be laughed out court faster than you could get embarrassed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In practice most people won't be paying the toll between Kells and Navan. Traffic levels fall off dramatically after Navan outbound. Most people will be paying 1.40.

It's my personal belief that this particular tolled section won't last. It won't make enough money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Gentlemen, the price of the toll is a Commuting and Transport issue.

• Advertisement

Just thought I’d mention that a contraflow is in operation at the end of the Clonee bypass (South bound side). Looks like it has being in place with a week or two. North bound lanes are closed with the tie-in to the M3 progressing. However I can’t see the tie-in finished this side of Christmas. I think when it is finished we’ll only get to use the new M3 to the Dunboyne exit.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement