Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddymana

This picture was taken looking South along the Navan Bypass with Junction 9 behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Thanks Paddy for the pictures.

Well if there's a charity cycle on the motorway next May 16th, that now indicates to me the opening date of maybe the next day - Monday May 17th. (As like the opening of the M9 Waterford-Danesfort on Mar 22nd - the M9 had charity cycle on the 21st Mar.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I hope they get the bloody signage right, a few of us met a car head on going the wrong way around the Dunboyne roundabout yesterday evening having just come off the M3!
    Never in all my years of driving have I encountered this :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭deiseman21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

I think this one is more apt "How to Drive in Ireland...for Americans " :cool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hu3Gkig4n-8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

paddymana wrote: »
    This picture was taken looking South along the Navan Bypass with Junction 9 behind.

Is that a UFO in the top left corner:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

deiseman21 wrote: »

What is it with the waterford bypass and people going the wrong way? How can they be so bloody stupid?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Had a cycle on the M3 yesterday, going north from M3 bridge at Dunshaughlin. This first shot, taken on the bridge, looking down onto the N3.
    The second shot is taken from the same spot, looking north.

A bit further up the road, came across this 300m section of demolished central divide...wonder why they had to knock so much of it?
    Just before I took this photo, a large hare jumped from the other side of the divide and sat there, about ten feet away from where I was standing! As I went to take a photo, he/she/it ran onto the bank on my left, but I got a couple of shots of some members of his family on the bank to my left. So, animal lovers, am I right in saying that they are hares rather than rabbits????

Anyone know anything about this ruin, which is located on the east side of the M3, about 5km north of Dunshaughlin?

• Advertisement

The next number of photos were taken as I cycled towards the Johntown exit, about 13km from Dunshaughlin

...and continuing (I had to replace the connecting lead from the camera to the laptop just now because I broke the other lead as I got up to answer the phone a few minutes ago!)

The remaining shots were taken on the return journey, going south...

last two!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Fair play, the signage looks like its up fairly early, I would have thought that would be the last thing done?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

CUCINA wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about this ruin, which is located on the east side of the M3, about 5km north of Dunshaughlin?

Skryne hill. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skryne

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Just to let ye all know the northbound carriageway from the pace interchange to almost the toll plaza has the wearing course down and the is lined not sure about cats eyes could not see from r about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Came back from the North on the N3 last week and it's only occured to me; the mile or so that's open is dangerously coned - why not open both lanes, rather than forcing traffic into the interconnecting lane which then all has to merge into Lane 1 when it becomes the N3 around Clonee/Dunboyne?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Slightly off topic, but the junction advance notice sign below is different from some that you encounter further down the country IIRC.

It has CLEARLY the distance to the next junction in LARGE print, which is useful if you want to avoid having people braking violently thinking that the turn off is only a matter of seconds away immediately over the crest.
    (On other signs the distance to junction is written in an unbelievably tiny font about half the size of the other information)

Is this the new standard?
    If it is I doff my hat to clear Irish sign design!!
    CUCINA wrote: »
    last two!
    109891.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭Roryhy

This isnt new, standard as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

This is the standard for motorways here now.

First sign is as above, at 2km indicating the next exit and principle destinations that can be reached from there. There is no diagram to indicate the type of the exit though.

Then at 1km and 500meters there are two signs that indicate the exit along with a diagram indicating which side to exit from (which I believe is always on the left here - I can't think of an right lane exits).

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

While we're on signage (and apologies to anyone who's already read one of my umpteen other posts on this), the gantry signs approaching J5 outbound (new Dunboyne roundabout) are wrong.

A lane drop is signed as a slip lane, i.e. the arrow is pointing top-left instead of down. It's a pretty big error, as if you miss the thicker lines on road markings, there's no prior indication that the lane is about to exit the motorway. Is there anyone who can be informed about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

back on topic,
    has anyone posted pictures of Kells to Carnaross?
    That is supposed to be 10km of Dual Carraigeway but is it a wire or concrete central barrier? Any idea of the current progress, road markings/ signs up etc?
    And will it be 100kmh or the 120kmh?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'd imagine it will be 100km/hr. It looks like it will be minimum spec standard dual carriageway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

sdonn wrote: »
    Came back from the North on the N3 last week and it's only occured to me; the mile or so that's open is dangerously coned - why not open both lanes, rather than forcing traffic into the interconnecting lane which then all has to merge into Lane 1 when it becomes the N3 around Clonee/Dunboyne?

The northbound section is even worse since it's been reconed in the past couple of days - two lane of traffic and the outer lane comes to an end all of a sudden forcing traffic into the other lane (with nobody expecting it) as you arrive at the Dunboyne exit.

Combine that with the complete inability of Irish people to use the RIGHT LANE when turning RIGHT at a roundabout, and you have a recipe for disaster. :mad: (Rant over!)

Take care at this junction folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

PauloMN wrote: »
    Combine that with the complete inability of Irish people to use the RIGHT LANE when turning RIGHT at a roundabout, and you have a recipe for disaster. :mad: (Rant over!)

so annoying when people in the left lane at that junction head for the 3rd exit.......always on the look out to the left hand side when going around that roundabout

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

burger1979 wrote: »
    so annoying when people in the left lane at that junction head for the 3rd exit.......always on the look out to the left hand side when going around that roundabout

As am I mate. There is usually someone in that lane when I'm trying to merge in to take the 3rd exit. More often than not, they act the dick and speed up to block you. Idiots.

Also look out when coming onto the M3 at Dunboyne city bound. Watch how many people only realise at the last minute that they are about to exit for Clonee, and swerve across into the city-bound lane. It's amazing how unaware people are. I don't get it. The first time I drive on that stretch I was able to figure it out easily and safely - I can't understand the difficulty. Speeding of course isn't helping the situation.

People are using the Clonee exit lane for undertaking also. I had this mad bitch come flying up behind me yesterday morning (I had positioned in the Dublin bound lane as I was approaching the Clonee exit) and she undertakes then literally forces here way back in front of me at the Clonee exit. Had to jam on of course.

Until these roadworks are finished it's going to be extra dangerous around there.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

back on topic,
    has anyone posted pictures of Kells to Carnaross?
    That is supposed to be 10km of Dual Carraigeway but is it a wire or concrete central barrier? Any idea of the current progress, road markings/ signs up etc?
    And will it be 100kmh or the 120kmh?

It's a wire central barrier. This only went up in the last week. They were placing road markings today. I saw this where the road crosses the Oldcastle (R163) road at the bottom of Drumbaragh hill.

If the weather stays good might take the bike out over the weekend and get a few shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

PauloMN wrote: »
    As am I mate. There is usually someone in that lane when I'm trying to merge in to take the 3rd exit. More often than not, they act the dick and speed up to block you. Idiots.

i hate the people who dont merge into the left lane before the third exit, then come off the third exit on the outside of the traffic, then use the first exit and head towards navan. i had one woman do this to me, she really cut me up, on the brakes and on the horn hard, not so much of a wave to apologise, or recognise what she had cone wrong just carried on.

as for the clonee exit heading into town, i come off at the clonee exit and there is not that much traffic at the time i'm passing through.

have a question for you though. whats your interpretation of using the roundabout at the trim/ratoath end of he road that runs along the M3? i head towards navan and i use the left hand lane (its the second exit). but i have had people use the right hand lane and then cut in front of me when i turn off and then if they end up behind me i sometimes look in the rear view mirror and see them looking at me angrily? Am i right in thinking that there is no 2nd lane to exit onto on any of the exits off the roundabout?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement