Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

burger1979 wrote:
    i hate the people who dont merge into the left lane before the third exit, then come off the third exit on the outside of the traffic

That's how you're supposed to use a roundabout (unless you're referring to them coming off the roundabout into the path of oncoming traffic):

j&r_roundabouts_leaving-by-later-exit.jpg
    http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/videos/roundabouts_70.mpg
    burger1979 wrote:
    have a question for you though. whats your interpretation of using the roundabout at the trim/ratoath end of he road that runs along the M3? i head towards navan and i use the left hand lane (its the second exit). but i have had people use the right hand lane and then cut in front of me when i turn off and then if they end up behind me i sometimes look in the rear view mirror and see them looking at me angrily? Am i right in thinking that there is no 2nd lane to exit onto on any of the exits off the roundabout?

If the second exit is before 180 degrees, use the left lane; if it's after 180 degrees, use the right lane. In all scenarios, signs and lane markings take priority over the rules of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

Ok let me re-phrase. I think the road layout has an impact on this. Take the diagram you posted there stark. The entry to the round about opens from one lane to to lanes for about 20mts. two cars can fit side by side at the entrance. the positioning of the exits are exactly 90degs for trim, 180degs for navan and 270 degs for ratoath. like the diagram. around the roundabout there is a single white dashed line as shown below. now the exits are not like the entrance as approaching from the dublin side. they are wide but not wide enough for 2 cars. they would be similar to the 1st/3rd exit in the diagram above, but with the corners of the exits cut a little. then on the exit the hard shoulder starts exactly as you exit from the roundabout.

so would it be ok to use the right hand lane to exit if you were to see what i have described above or would you use the left lane on entering the roundabout?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

For the second exit in that scenario, I would take the left-hand lane alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

PauloMN wrote: »
    The northbound section is even worse since it's been reconed in the past couple of days - two lane of traffic and the outer lane comes to an end all of a sudden forcing traffic into the other lane (with nobody expecting it) as you arrive at the Dunboyne exit.

Combine that with the complete inability of Irish people to use the RIGHT LANE when turning RIGHT at a roundabout, and you have a recipe for disaster. :mad: (Rant over!).
    Who says they are irish drivers?

I should point out that abroad this rule may not be in use!

I germany its even explicity against the law to indicate on a roundabout except when indicating that you are leaving the roundabout (whereas in ireland you MUST indicate right if coming off at 180 degrees).

Why do I bring this up?
    Isnt D15 one of the most international parts of the island?
    Would it be possible that an amount of non conform roundabout behaviour is from people from abroad who arent familiar with the reasonably complicated irish roundabout usage code?

(and before anyone says it isnt complicated, why are there currently adverts on telly and constant threads asking what the story is?? !!)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I germany its even explicity against the law to indicate on a roundabout except when indicating that you are leaving the roundabout (whereas in ireland you MUST indicate right if coming off at 180 degrees).

Why do I bring this up?
    Would it be possible that an amount of non conform roundabout behaviour is from people from abroad who arent familiar with the reasonably complicated irish roundabout usage code?

(and before anyone says it isnt complicated, why are there currently adverts on telly and constant threads asking what the story is?? !!)

Semantics. Irish residents driving Irish registered cars. Are you happier now?

Regardless of whether they are blue, brown, pink, purple or black, they are driving in Ireland and should know the ROTR. The adverts on telly are obviously a response to people encountering exactly what I'm talking about - people who cannot follow simple rules.

Seeing as you are quite detail focussed, I should point out that none of the areas I referred to above are in Dublin 15. Petty I know, but you started it. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Why do I bring this up?

Personally I don't care whether they're from Germany, Uzbekistan or fecking pluto. If they're in Ireland, they obey Irish law and on a motorway and associated link roads that's especially critical.

Ignorance of the law is not a defence. Tough ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

If I drove in Germany with that attitude towards their rules of the road, I'd likely be taken off them VERY rapidly.

Same needs to apply here. Learn how to drive properly for our rules of the road, or get the feck OFF them.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭emfifty

and all this has to do with the opening/updates of the m3 why?:(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

emfifty wrote: »
    and all this has to do with the opening/updates of the m3 why?:(

Point taken! Onwards etc.

Who was threatening to go cycling and taking pics? Any results? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

There is a rumour doing the rounds of Navan for the last week or so, that a bridge connected with the M3 construction works somewhere south of Navan has subsided. Details are sketchy, all I heard is it’s an overbridge that the centre pillars subsided by about 4inchs, I’m not sure if it’s on the mainline or on the new link road into Navan. I’m not even sure if there’s any truth to the story, but I decided to post it up here and see if anyone can confirm it as true or is it BS...:eek:

If it is true (and that's a big IF) I hope it’s on the new link road.... As it wouldn't delay the opening date of the M3, as like the Athy (new N78) link road from the M9 opened at a later date!

• Advertisement

Public Meeting
    Newly built M3 roundabouts are lethal for pedestrians
    Our children are being endangered to maximise toll company profits
    Roundabouts are being built in 2010 with a blatant disregard for pedestrians
    The NRA must fix them now before the M3 is completed this summer
    We can make these roads safe for our communities if enough people get involved.
    GET INVOLVED!
    Come to:
    Dunshaughlin Community Centre
    XXXXday XXth April – Xpm sharp

I got this flyer through the door yesterday, (I have no affiliation with this group) I don’t have access to a scanner at the moment but the flyer also has three (staged) photos of mainly children walking on the side of the new N3 roundabout north of Dunshaughlin with the N3 traffic passing next to them!

This roundabout was constructed last year with no footpath around it. The year before this, Meath County Council altered the same stretch of the N3 to have a bus lane (east bound) leading into the village, there was no footpaths installed at that time either. Therefore, if the contractors building the roundabout installed a footpath around the roundabout, pedestrians would still have to walk on the grass verge or the bus lane to get to this footpath at the roundabout. The next roundabout south of the above-mentioned roundabout has footpaths and in fact, the roundabouts near and on junction 6 south west of Dunshaughlin have footpaths.

This got me thinking is this something we should expert from the contractors as they tie into existing roads? Are there other groups in Kells and Navan or other cities, towns or vilages etc around the country looking for footpaths etc in this manner? In my view the contactor was hired, to build a motorway and related link roads or was this a design and build contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Zoney

We don't have enough footpaths in "rural" areas in general. I use rural in quotes, because often we're simply talking about outlying areas of towns and villages, or indeed even outskirts of cities where it used to be rural.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Given that we are getting very close to the opening of this motorway has anyone any idea of the toll rates for the following vehicles?

Cars ?

Motorbikes?

Vans?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

Fiskar wrote: »
    Given that we are getting very close to the opening of this motorway has anyone any idea of the toll rates for the following vehicles?

Cars ?

Motorbikes?

Vans?

Prices listed on back page here: €1.40 for a car/ van, €0.70 for a motorbike.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/TollingDocumentation/file,16942,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

^ per toll plaza, of which there are two if you go full-length.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Thanks for the tolls info

Okay folks, a little update on the M3 progress...

I did a little detour today around the south Navan, Ardsallagh area today, and the Dunshaughlin area! (Sorry no pictures yet, I must get some), just had a look at the progress from some bridges...

From the southern toll bridge to the N3 bridge north of Dunshaughlin has one side lined, unsure if the studs are in, however the line and studs nearest the barrier has still to be done.
    From N3 bridge north of Dunshaughlin to almost junction 7 has lines and studs done on both sides, again the lines and studs nearest the central barrier are still to be done.
    From junction 7 to almost the Boyne bridge has final layer down on both sides (I think), no lines or studs here yet.
    From south of the Boyne bridge to Trim road bridge (R161) LOTS OF WORK to be done here, including landscaping, final layer to be laid, lines and studs to be installed, but they are flat out doing this work.
    Link road from Junction 8 (Kilcarn Interchange) to Navan needs cleaning up and final layer, lines and studs.
    From Trim road bridge (R161) to north of Junction 9 at N51 was lined on both sides, not sure if it has studs down or if the lines and studs nearest the barrier were there. This section looked really good, maybe a little hilly, but i could be wrong saying that.

The link road from Navan to Junction 8 (Kilcarn Interchange) and east towards Dublin is behind IMO, the central barrier at the Boyne bridge is still to be built, (it could have been demolished - not sure, I was short on time to double back). I need to get back to this area with a camera. I was surprised at how behind this section was, but the other areas look like it will be open by mid May for the M3 cycle. (mountain bikes may be needed in the Ardsallagh, Boyne bridge area);)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 paddymana

Hi All,

Just to let you know M3 is due to open on Friday 4th June 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

paddymana wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just to let you know M3 is due to open on Friday 4th June 2010
    is that the entire mainline (M3 + N3 dual carraigeway) to Carnaross north of Kells thats opening or only just the M3 Motorway part as far as Kells?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

is that the entire mainline (M3 + N3 dual carraigeway) to Carnaross north of Kells thats opening or only just the M3 Motorway part as far as Kells?

It appears to be the entire mainline according to the Meath Chronicle (can't find a link on their website)

The link roads and by-passes definitly aren't ready. Well not the one around Kells anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭clon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wilsoan

I followed the link to the Meath Chronicle article, and from there to the group protesting about the lack of pedestrian facilities on the new roundabouts. I have to wonder how many of these protesters were among those who delayed the construction of the M3 with concerns about fairy circles and druid spirits? And what pedestrian facilities did they have on the old N3?

The fact is that their children will have much less local traffic to contend with when the motorway is open, no thanks to those who have delayed its construction for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

wilsoan wrote: »
    I followed the link to the Meath Chronicle article, and from there to the group protesting about the lack of pedestrian facilities on the new roundabouts. I have to wonder how many of these protesters were among those who delayed the construction of the M3 with concerns about fairy circles and druid spirits? And what pedestrian facilities did they have on the old N3?

The fact is that their children will have much less local traffic to contend with when the motorway is open, no thanks to those who have delayed its construction for years.
    They're putting their argument across badly but their points are valid. R roads close to Dunshaughlin village that previously had hard shoulders have been broken by shoulderless roundabouts.

Plowman wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

The Dunshaughlin roundabouts report on todays Pat Kenny Show at 36m45s in to the show.

Link
    http://dynamic.rte.ie/quickaxs/209-r1-todaywithpatkenny-2010-04-28.smil

toll booths at dunboyne look complete, also line painting at the southern interchange south of navan all done looks like the painting is done all the way to the kilcairn interchange too.

anyone any updates on the road past navan is getting on? especially all the ancillary works to the roads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

More pics!!!!

sorry only what i see when driving by.

Hi Folks,

I was out again yesterday around the Navan area and got some photos from some of the over bridges. I have called each photo in relation to it's townland (I got the townland name here.) and the letter E stands for East (toward Dublin) and W for West (toward Kells).

First up is the Dowdstown road over bridge (found here)

• Advertisement

Next is Ardsallagh road over bridge (found here)

This over bridge has a stop go in operation - looks like there was a problem the joints (this could the bridge that the rumour is about (subsided)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement