Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Next is Cannistown road over bridge (found here)

Next is the Trim road from Navan (R161) (found here)

Next is Betaghstown overbridge (found here)

Next is Bohermeen overbridge (found here)

Next is Durhamstown overbridge (found here)

• Advertisement

Next is Phoenixtown overbridge (found here)

Next is Ballybeg road overbridge (found here)

Lastly back to Navan..
    These two are from the over bridge over the new link road from the M3 to Navan (found here)

(Navan Link OB-N) is looking toward Navan where the new roundabout is currently been built.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Great pictures. Thanks for those.

One thing I've noticed here is that there doesn't seem to be any hard shoulder on this road in the pictures here. Now I know you're not supposed to stop on a motorway, but in the event of a breakdown or some other emergency is it not dangerous to have no space available to allow you to pull off the driving lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

Jayuu wrote: »
    Great pictures. Thanks for those.

One thing I've noticed here is that there doesn't seem to be any hard shoulder on this road in the pictures here. Now I know you're not supposed to stop on a motorway, but in the event of a breakdown or some other emergency is it not dangerous to have no space available to allow you to pull off the driving lanes.
    there is, well there will be but its not painted in yet in most of those pictures.

see here for an example where they have painted the guidelines in preparation for the yellow line marking the hard shoulder from the first series of pictures
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/257651/112693.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Jayuu

there is, well there will be but its not painted in yet in most of those pictures.

see here for an example where they have painted the guidelines in preparation for the yellow line marking the hard shoulder from the first series of pictures
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/257651/112693.jpg

Cheers. Its hard looking at the unlined roadway to estimate the lane size.
    Obviously I'd like to have 4m wide lanes!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Jayuu wrote: »
    Cheers. Its hard looking at the unlined roadway to estimate the lane size.
    Obviously I'd like to have 4m wide lanes!! :D

My estimate is the standard motorway cross section:

2.5m Hard Shoulders
    3.5m Lanes
    1.0m Median Strips

Regards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 motorwaycrazy

gene hunt

great photos. have you any earthmoving photos from those sections. there is plenty of cut and fill from look of landscape.
    from ardsallagh thru bohermeen and the rest of the bridges - is that going north that your photo's are sequenced.

Navan link road looks a big job. i see they built retaining walls there and a big deep cut. was that a cut and cover tunnel you were standing on or an overbridge?

great keep it up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 motorwaycrazy

does anyone have photos of navan - kells/carnaross section. From my memory of this area. it is quite hilly through here in places.

great to hear road is opening in june. they will get motorway traffic flowing to get revenue in and keep teams back to finish off some tie ins and link roads etc.

monumental job well done all !!!!!! a motorway to be proud of

gene hunt

great photos. have you any earthmoving photos from those sections. there is plenty of cut and fill from look of landscape.
    from ardsallagh thru bohermeen and the rest of the bridges - is that going north that your photo's are sequenced.

Sorry I don't have any earthmoving photos. Maybe someone else might have and can post them here (please);)

Yes going north around Navan....
    Navan link road looks a big job. i see they built retaining walls there and a big deep cut. was that a cut and cover tunnel you were standing on or an overbridge?

I was standing on an overbridge, and yes, it is a deep cut in a builtup area!

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

does anyone have photos of navan - kells/carnaross section. From my memory of this area. it is quite hilly through here in places.

Right, I'm off for a walk on it now with the dog. This time I'll remember the camera. Post some pics up later.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

According to a Collins map I was browsing at, which shows the M3, there is a little information box saying that the N3 is to be known as the R147 (or similar) when the M3 opens next month. Presumably this means that the speed limit will be reduced to 80KM etc...just what the doctor ordered as far as the the M3 toll operators are concerned?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,535 ✭✭✭✭L1011

CUCINA wrote: »
    According to a Collins map I was browsing at, which shows the M3, there is a little information box saying that the N3 is to be known as the R147 (or similar) when the M3 opens next month. Presumably this means that the speed limit will be reduced to 80KM etc...just what the doctor ordered as far as the the M3 toll operators are concerned?

Meath CC are entirely entitled to return the speed limit to 100km/h.

All national roads replaced by motorways drop to the appropriate class - some are or become parts of other national roads, most become regional raods.

These are a few shots of the New N3. The OS map shows rough location of each photo.

1. Coming off New N3 onto old N3. You can see yield sign at the roundabout to the right of the sign

2. Distances on entering new N3

3. Looking south

• Advertisement

Underpass connecting two sides of the farm together and planting on the embankment.

7. Swans on the Blackwater. Heading for Virginia :)

8. Drainage pipes

9. Nice heat haze in the distance

10. Start of road markings looking south

11. From the same point looking north

From Woodpole Flyover 12, 13, 14 looking south 15, 16 looking north.
    Note central steel dividers being put down

17. Old Woodpole Bridge. The disused railway passed under.

18 & 19. New Woodpole Bridge

20. Looking south along the old disused railway line.

And that's all for now. I'll try get some more during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

Good photos, glad to see the 2+2 section taking shape

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭bauderline

Someone said on another thread that the opening date has been pushed out to September... judging by the state of that junction at Kilcarn I think they are correct.... bummer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Macca3000 wrote: »
    These are a few shots of the New N3. The OS map shows rough location of each photo.
    I didn't think that they would have gone as close to the border as they have! they are almost over the Cavan border!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

bauderline wrote: »
    Someone said on another thread that the opening date has been pushed out to September... judging by the state of that junction at Kilcarn I think they are correct.... bummer...

have you got a link to that thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

Macca3000 wrote: »
    1. Coming off New N3 onto old N3. You can see yield sign at the roundabout to the left of the sign

2. Distances on entering new N3

3. Looking south

Nice pics mate! :)

That 2+2 section looks really good! :) Also like your reference map! :)

Wonder if the Woodpole Railway Bridge carried traffic up to recently, or was it just a farm accommodation bridge over the former railway?

The M3 as a whole is really taking shape now!

Regards!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement