Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M3 Clonee-Kells Motorway construction updates

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭aidz

Nuno wrote: »
    What makes you say that Gazzer? Judging from the look of the road, I'd say it's nearly complete and ready for traffic at the same time as the motorway will be.

The total stretch of construction of the m3 will open on the june 4, including the kells by pass (link between mullingar road and ardee road) and n3 section to carnaross

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Has anyone been out walking or cycling on the M3 lately? (not the M3cycle day)

I've heard that the security guys have got tough on trespassers on the M3.

I believe it's because of a incident a few weekends back (about 2 or 3 weekends before the M3cycle day), where someone fell off there bicycle while on the M3 and was injured and then the ambulance had difficulties getting access on to the M3 to get to this person. Has anyone else heard or noticed the higher level of security on the M3 or was asked "nicely" to get off the site!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Wheaven

interesting
    the by-laws document from last year had the tolls set at 1.40 a go but this press announcement has them at 1.30 a go.
    What happened there?

At the time of original publishing of rates for M3 The €1.40 was based on Vat being applied at 21.5%, since then Vat went back to 21%, so they applied vat at 21% and rounded to the nearest 10 cent, which is where they got €1.30

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

aidz wrote: »
    The total stretch of construction of the m3 will open on the june 4, including the kells by pass (link between mullingar road and ardee road) and n3 section to carnaross

Thats great news. I was convinced that the n3 section to Carnaross wasnt been open yet (not sure where I read that) so im delighted that I am wrong. Im actually going to Dublin on June 4th so looking forward to seeing how long it will take on the new road.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭locha

Anyone know about a problem with "Structure 21" on the road? I am presuming its a bridge? Apparently the NRA are going ape s*** with the contractor, from what I hear its not fit for purpose... sign off papers being withheld, going to be an interesing week...

• Advertisement

locha wrote: »
    Anyone know about a problem with "Structure 21" on the road? I am presuming its a bridge? Apparently the NRA are going ape s*** with the contractor, from what I hear its not fit for purpose... sign off papers being withheld, going to be an interesing week...

It could be the Ardsallagh overbridge (has been mentioned here before), I crossed over it last Wednesday it's still got a stop/go traffic lights on it, however, the contractors were working on the landscaping and footpaths just south of the bridge as you would approach it - I think I may get the camera out tomorrow again, see whats going there now, It could also be the overbridge here for the Navan link road, because this road was closed to traffic last week, I'll check this tomorrow too.

P.S. When I crossed the Ardsallagh overbridge (I couldn't stop to get a photo) but I did look down on the mainline. I have attached photo which I took on the 10-05-10 and have drawn a line across it. From approx this line the M3 is tarred and lined, but still lots to do from this line back under the bridge and a good distance back down towards the Boyne bridge. The gantry in the photo also had it sign fitted... This is going to be a busy week for the contractors - Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind!!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

GeneHunt wrote: »
    P.S. When I crossed the Ardsallagh overbridge (I couldn't stop to get a photo) but I did look down on the mainline. I have attached photo which I took on the 10-05-10 and have drawn a line across it. From approx this line the M3 is tarred and lined, but still lots to do from this line back under the bridge and a good distance back down towards the Boyne bridge. The gantry in the photo also had it sign fitted... This is going to be a busy week for the contractors - Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind!!!!:o

They'll be pushed to get that done by next Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

I've started a Junctions table on Wikipedia but it needs more work if anyone can fill in the blanks I've left/correct mistakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Nice to see the two lads breaking their backs there, leaning against the wall. Fair play, where would be be without the likes of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Anyone else notice the very poor road markings heading in to Dublin having dropped onto the M3 section of road. Someone decided to do a space between Dubl in in both lanes giving this odd effect....

DUBL IN DUBL IN, I kid you not.

• Advertisement

Hi Folks,

I stopped on the Ardsallagh overbidge today and got a few photos there, contractors were working on the under side of the bridge today too,

Here are the mainline photos two each way (one zoomed).

and here are some photos over the side of the bridge...

The second last photo was taken today and the last photo was taken on the 3rd May 2010. Note the heights of the side wall of the bridge - in both of each photos the bridge is to the left - looks like the bridge has been raised...

that's all folks....

P.S. The road that crosses over the Navan link road, was still closed to traffic today... I wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Interesting gantry style there, they seem to be using a cantilever to bridge the whole carriageway. Hope they're strong as that would act as a massive sail with only one support!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭burger1979

thats quite some difference in height in that last photo there Gene. did you notice any other differences in joins along the bridge itself?

burger1979 wrote: »
    thats quite some difference in height in that last photo there Gene. did you notice any other differences in joins along the bridge itself?

The surface on the bridge isn't great at the moment, there's no blacktop (final layer of tar) yet and the joins are mostly exposed except were the stop/go traffic is routed over the bridge, So no I didn't notice any other differences, but I only noticed the height difference here because the side railing wasn't sitting on the wall anymore.

This side of the bridge has been jacked up I think by about 3 inches (75mm), has anyone any ideas how they did it. I was hoping to go down onto the mainline and get photos under the bridge, but with contractors still working there at quarter to seven in the evening, I decided not to trespass under there noises....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Notice the vans from data contracts

http://www.data-contracts.co.uk/

The Company’s core activities being, all aspects of building refurbishment and structural repairs including concrete repairs, structural waterproofing, manhole refurbishment and concrete condition surveys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Wheaven

GeneHunt wrote: »
    that's all folks....

P.S. The road that crosses over the Navan link road, was still closed to traffic today... I wonder why?

This is due to final phase of pipe laying on this road and resurfacing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There do be Noxious Weeds in this photo, they can't open the motorway until they deal with that grotesque splash of yellow in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭locha

Looks like that could be the problem bridge. Seems to me that they are doing hydro-demolition and concrete repair on the problem areas... I was told the contractor constructed this using top down technique... works well when done properly... disaster on the M7 bog scale when they get it wrong as they appear to have done here... wouldnt mind but this building technique is apparently VERY costly.... Judging by the lack of footpaths its going to be a massive push for Friday....

I've found another overbridge with problems last night (this one was right under my own noise) located here outside Dunshaughlin on the Dunsany road. The contractor have setup a stop/go traffic management system here and closed off both footpaths along the length of the bridge. Looks like they are removing the railings on the sides of the bridge, It was dark went I passed last night so I'll get a few photos later today. I guessing it could be that the railings are too low (Dunshaughlin village is only short walk away) and they are changing them for the high railings like the ones on the M50 or It could be the fixings for these railings aren't the best...

The clock is ticking - three days to go......:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭brandodub

Just reading about the bridge problems highlighted here. Will this affect Friday's opening do you think??

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭eddiej

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There do be Noxious Weeds in this photo, they can't open the motorway until they deal with that grotesque splash of yellow in the distance.

Would be fairly surprised if they were noxious weeds (ragwort) this early given the year we have had prob hedge mustard or charlock or even buttercup or groundsel but hey I could be completely wrong and the whole road will be closed till the noxious weeds and fairies are eliminated !!!!!!!:P

Got some photos of the railings on the Dunsany road overbridge. Looks like there was a problem with how the railings were fixed to the bridge, the uprights on the bridge were replaced with new ones, the rails are the same ones as before. The height of the railings look to by the same too. when I passed last night there was only a few uprights in place to hold the rails in place, all the uprights are replaces now this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well they were out this evening on the existing N3 between the Silver Tankard (Navan) and the roundabout on the Meath/Cavan border taking down all the 100 km/h signs and replacing them with 80s :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but does anyone find it frustrating that the toll on the M3 at dunboyne was placed before the P&R for Pace railway station.To me it seems that anyone who would have pulled up and taken the train to avoid the toll will now say "I paid for the road, I might as well use it".Situating the toll a couple of hundred metres down the road could have taken a huge volume of cars of Dublins traffic clogged roads.Bad planning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

They were talking about that in this weeks meath Chronicle. Massive oversight. Will be interesting to see who uses it and what the traffic volumes are like on the old N3.
    Heard that road speed signs were being reduced to 80 KPH already along the route at the silver tankard to kells section. Hope to use it myself for the bike as it will be faster and safer. Only problem is lack of information on the easy pass or fob, don't want to be holding up traffic looking for change :D

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Fiskar wrote: »
    Massive oversight.
    Oversight?!! It's intentional!

This is the only tolled motorway in the country where the government has agreed to compensate the concessionaire if the tolls don't reach a certain threshold. Given this arrangement you can be certain the toll was positioned to maximise revenue as much as possible. Screw integrated transport planning, this was how Fianna Fáil would have their commuter motorway built.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭royaler83

As regards the tolls, anyone going from Dublin to Kells and vice versa daily would be better off using the existing kells-navan road as its a very short length of road and it would avoid paying a toll. Lost time would be minimal. But be warned, speed limit will be reduced to 80kph and guards will be doing speed checks on it as they did on N4 to try catch drivers out and force them onto the new road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement