Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jani in Zulu

Options
  • 17-03-2009 2:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Hi all
    First post
    Im getting a piece done with Jani in Zulu in a couple of weeks and I was wondering if any of you guys have had any work done by him and if he's good
    Thank you in advance
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

hes excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Prob one of the best in Ireland. Have a gander on his myspace for some of his new work. He seems to be doing a lot of great colour pieces lately, he's under serious consideration for doing a sleeve I've planned, if I dont get Jani to do it I'll be flying to England to a studio there. You're in good hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

He is good my piece turned out really well but i found him to be a bit aloof.More interested in talking to his friend than putting me at ease asking me if its going alright.I wouldnt go back near him but up to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

He's a tattooist not a therapist, if you want conversation bring a friend. His work has taken a leap from great to excellent lately the Beetlejuice portrait is so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Enid

Thanks so much
    Put my mind at ease

• Advertisement

marti101 wrote: »
    He is good my piece turned out really well but i found him to be a bit aloof.More interested in talking to his friend than putting me at ease asking me if its going alright.I wouldnt go back near him but up to you.

You wouldn't go back to one of the best tattooists in the country because he wasn't sensetive to your needs?........at least you've got your priorities straight... lol :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Diceicle wrote: »
    You wouldn't go back to one of the best tattooists in the country because he wasn't sensetive to your needs?........at least you've got your priorities straight... lol :D

It seems she does...

It's Marti101's choice whether she wants to go back to him or not, she was just giving her own account of him. Nothing more, nothing less.

So get off your high horses. Customer service is important to most people.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Will wrote: »
    Customer service is important to most people.

+1, especially to people who aren't too experienced getting tattoos, a little chat and reassurance from their artist can go a long way.

Will wrote: »
    It seems she does...

It's Marti101's choice whether she wants to go back to him or not, she was just giving her own account of him. Nothing more, nothing less.

So get off your high horses. Customer service is important to most people.

No Will, her priorites are backwards to be straight with you. If Jani had been rude or ignorant to her then I would be in total agreement with not going back to him, there are artists I wont go to because of there rockstar attitudes. Read her post again, she said he was "aloof" ffs, she was happy with the work but because he talked to his friend for a bit she's put off him, that is in no way bad customer service so come off of it and get real, tattooists are there to perform a service not to become your frickin BFF.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Read her post again, she said he was "aloof" ffs, she was happy with the work but because he talked to his friend for a bit she's put off him, that is in no way bad customer service so come off of it and get real, tattooists are there to perform a service not to become your frickin BFF.

you should probably read her post again

"More interested in talking to his friend than putting me at ease asking me if its going alright"

Try find another profession that involves physical contact (therapist, physio, masseur etc ) other than a bleedin' hairdresser where the customer would be expected to pay you to do a job on them while you shoot the breeze with yer buddy.

• Advertisement

I'm going in to get it done tomorrow instead so i'll let ya'll know about his customer service hehe
    Be all like Jani,son, there's people on the boards they be saying don't be so aloof son.Word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭truthinwords

He doesn't talk to customers all that much when he's tattooing anyway and if he's talking to a friend it's usually in Hungarian. I'm assuming that's there's a slight language barrier, trying to tattoo a colour portrait whilst simultaneously translating your thoughts over to your second language can't be easy.

Bambi wrote: »
    you should probably read her post again

Try find another profession that involves physical contact (therapist, physio, masseur etc ) other than a bleedin' hairdresser where the customer would be expected to pay you to do a job on them while you shoot the breeze with yer buddy.

Read it again? Why? She's happpy with the tat. He wasn't rude or ignorant. He didnt hold her hand? So what? She paid him to do a job. By her own admission he did a good job. If she doesn't want to go back to him thats her perogative, I however think its a ridiculous reason not to make use of arguably the best tattooist in the country.
    A tattooist is not a physio / therapist or masseuse. A tattooist is paid for a job, he does the job, end of story. A tattoo studio is almost invariably a more relaxed, informal atmsosphere so talking to your colleage would not be out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Read it again? Why? She's happpy with the tat. He wasn't rude or ignorant. He didnt hold her hand? So what? She paid him to do a job. By her own admission he did a good job. If she doesn't want to go back to him thats her perogative, I however think its a ridiculous reason not to make use of arguably the best tattooist in the country.
    A tattooist is not a physio / therapist or masseuse. A tattooist is paid for a job, he does the job, end of story. A tattoo studio is almost invariably a more relaxed, informal atmsosphere so talking to your colleage would not be out of the ordinary.

It doesn't make her opinion wrong though. She didn't like the attitude, so she won't be going back. She didn't say anything against his work. I've heard a number of people complaining about his attitude, so she's not the only one.

At the end of the day some people don't care how talkative/friendly the tattoo artist is, some do. It does make a difference to the overall perception. Slagging off someones opinion isn't on.

It doesn't make her opinion wrong though. She didn't like the attitude, so she won't be going back. She didn't say anything against his work. I've heard a number of people complaining about his attitude, so she's not the only one.

At the end of the day some people don't care how talkative/friendly the tattoo artist is, some do. It does make a difference to the overall perception. Slagging off someones opinion isn't on.

No it doesnt make her opinion wrong, it does still make it a tenuous reason not to utilise one of our best tattooists though.

Like I said earlier, if Jani (or any tattooist) was rude or ignorant I would back anyone wholeheartedly in not attending a studio, there are places I wont give my business to, but as for being aloof, thats an asinine reason not to attend. The guy just isn't chatty. I've not heard anything anywhere about a bad attitude.

I've had a couple of pieces done by Jani, as has my gf. We've both found him professional and perfectly nice. During my tattoo sessions, if I make the effort to engage we could chat away, other times he'd chat to his Hungarian colleague, or just concentrated on permantly marking me, I couldn't have cared less as long as I walked out of there with the best tattoo possible.

You are right however Damo that some people do care about how chatty their artist is, I personally think that some people go to studios with a (subconcious?) desire to make a cool tattoo artist friend. But at the end of the day the artist is there to give you a good tattoo, thats all.
    I wasn't intent on slagging Marti, in my own strange way I'm trying to help Marti here believe it or not.

You are right however Damo that some people do care about how chatty their artist is, I personally think that some people go to studios with a (subconcious?) desire to make a cool tattoo artist friend. But at the end of the day the artist is there to give you a good tattoo, thats all.
    I wasn't intent on slagging Marti, in my own strange way I'm trying to help Marti here believe it or not.

Oh I know you were, but I know it may have not come across as that.

Personally, I'd like it if the artist chatted, simply because I enjoy interacting with people in general. However when I was getting the two tattoos I do have done, the artist was pretty much silent the whole time, and it didn't bother me at all, and I went back to him, and would again if he was still in the country!

I have no doubt that some people may wish to, as you said, "make a cool tattoo artist friend", but likewise there may be others who desire nothing of the sort, but do not like the fact that the person doing the tattoo hardly speaks to them at all, no matter how good an artist they are. It's not always the "rock star attitude" you hear people talk about, it could be down to any number of reasons, like the one you mentioned about concentration and secondary languages.

At the end of the day though, we all have people we like or dislike, and the reasons can be incredibly varied, but if someone simply doesn't like someone as a person, then that's as valid a reason as not liking their work IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

At the end of the day though, we all have people we like or dislike, and the reasons can be incredibly varied, but if someone simply doesn't like someone as a person, then that's as valid a reason as not liking their work IMHO.

Yeah but in saying that, if his work is the best around , for something so permanet as a tattoo, i would just bite my tongue and go to the best around...
    I have done , and couldnt be more happier with the results.
    If i wanted a " best friend" for a while id go to the hairdresser :rolleyes:

Oh I know you were, but I know it may have not come across as that.

Personally, I'd like it if the artist chatted, simply because I enjoy interacting with people in general. However when I was getting the two tattoos I do have done, the artist was pretty much silent the whole time, and it didn't bother me at all, and I went back to him, and would again if he was still in the country!

I have no doubt that some people may wish to, as you said, "make a cool tattoo artist friend", but likewise there may be others who desire nothing of the sort, but do not like the fact that the person doing the tattoo hardly speaks to them at all, no matter how good an artist they are. It's not always the "rock star attitude" you hear people talk about, it could be down to any number of reasons, like the one you mentioned about concentration and secondary languages.

I take your point Damo and I would probably agree more if Jani wasn't one of the best in the country. If it were Johnny Tattoo-artist (I'm getting very tabloidy :rolleyes:) acting "aloof" that this discussion was about I'd probabaly say 'fair enough, dont go back because you can get work of equal skill in the next tattoo studio' but because Jani is very talented Marti (and others) is, IMO, cheating herself out of the best tattoo she can get.
    You are dead right in stating that the attitude of the artist or studio is of some importance, no one wants to have to sit with some grasshole for 3 hours, but I disagree that aloofness is a qualifier for the category of grasshole. Personally speaking I dont go to Classic Ink for instance as the couple of times I've ventured in there and asked to take a gander at some portfolios you'd swear I just asked to see their P60's.

Just got back from getting my tattoo done. He done an amazing job and he's an absolute doll. He talked the whole way through it and he's bleedin hilarious. I shall be going back.
    Trust me, he's such a lovely guy. Maybe some people got him on an off day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Enid wrote: »
    Just got back from getting my tattoo done. He done an amazing job and he's an absolute doll. He talked the whole way through it and he's bleedin hilarious. I shall be going back.
    Trust me, he's such a lovely guy. Maybe some people got him on an off day :D

Thats good, Any pics?

• Advertisement

hmmmm i'll try. Not too sure how to put a pic up on this. Bless me I'm a nOOb

here goes. the angle is weird cause I took the pic myself. Just the outline, getting colour done in a week :)
    it's Enid Coleslaw from Ghost World. It's my bday today so it's holds a huge signifiance for two reasons.
    Jani rocks
    Word

I take your point Damo and I would probably agree more if Jani wasn't one of the best in the country. If it were Johnny Tattoo-artist (I'm getting very tabloidy :rolleyes:) acting "aloof" that this discussion was about I'd probabaly say 'fair enough, dont go back because you can get work of equal skill in the next tattoo studio' but because Jani is very talented Marti (and others) is, IMO, cheating herself out of the best tattoo she can get.
    You are dead right in stating that the attitude of the artist or studio is of some importance, no one wants to have to sit with some grasshole for 3 hours, but I disagree that aloofness is a qualifier for the category of grasshole. Personally speaking I dont go to Classic Ink for instance as the couple of times I've ventured in there and asked to take a gander at some portfolios you'd swear I just asked to see their P60's.
    Same reason I don't go into Wildcat in Stephens Green, went in asking about getting a custom piece designed (a point I made several times in the conversation) and the guy kept telling me to go look at their flash and put part of one flash with part of another to get what I want... >_<

At the end of the day though, it's down the individuals opinion of the artist. If we all liked the same things and the same people it'd be a very boring world ;)
    emo!! wrote: »
    Yeah but in saying that, if his work is the best around , for something so permanet as a tattoo, i would just bite my tongue and go to the best around...
    I have done , and couldnt be more happier with the results.
    If i wanted a " best friend" for a while id go to the hairdresser :rolleyes:
    What you'd do and what someone else would do can be very different things though. I'm obviously not as impressed with the artist in questions work as some others are, he's good, but wouldn't say he's the best...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

Same reason I don't go into Wildcat in Stephens Green, went in asking about getting a custom piece designed (a point I made several times in the conversation) and the guy kept telling me to go look at their flash and put part of one flash with part of another to get what I want... >_<

At the end of the day though, it's down the individuals opinion of the artist. If we all liked the same things and the same people it'd be a very boring world ;)

What you'd do and what someone else would do can be very different things though. I'm obviously not as impressed with the artist in questions work as some others are, he's good, but wouldn't say he's the best...
    maybe personally i dont know him from adam, but in saying that if i went somewhere got a tatto the i was more than happy for, but didnt like that he wasnt asking me how i felt every minute, it wouldnt stop me going back..

Meh like you said everyone is different, i just tend to overlook MINOR details so long as the finished productive is awesome and im happy with it.. him being rude or watever wouldnt bother, may im just very easy going.

I agree with you re: Wildcat, some of the guys in there couldn't seem to give a flying f**k whether you spend your money there or not. I guess they've ample business, that or they hate working for Wildcat and are totally demotiviated.

I find it surprising that you're not impressed with the work Jani has put out. Especially of late, the Captain Spaulding tattoo is really nice, the two Corpse Bride character tats are sick as is his Spider-man from some while back. He's definately top 5 for Ireland, arguably one of the few world class talents we've currently got. He didn't get those awards for knitting. :) Now, name a better artist (in Ireland) .........the gauntlet has been thrown!!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Pawel in snakebite, michelle in art tattoo, erin in dublin tattoo company, joe myler in JMD's.

All 4 have varying styles, pawel is most similar to jani. However, imo i think each are at the top of their game (and improving) and respective styles. i.e pawel for colour, michelle for maori/tribal etc.

add Wojt to the list too, just had a quick peak through the portfolio thread and his stuff is the business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

Thanks Will,Damo for sticking up for me.I am not talkingbout chatting every minute but to me he was more interested in talking to his friend,than asking me the paying customer if it was going alright and i did i like it.Also talking to his friend like that his mind obviously wasnt on the job.I like the tatoo i just found his attitude a bit so so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement