Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maths maths maths !!!(higher)

Options
  • 17-03-2009 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

hey lovely pplz...

how to bring up a grade at this stage...?
    what to do?

i only got 48% in the pres..:( the worst result i ve ever got in maths *sigh*
    and did an other pre paper just there and got 65%...

i actually like maths like ..but its getting really depressing now ..
    I was hoping for an A...i don't know now...

*my confidence is totally gone now *

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

maths isn't entirely about learning from repetition.
    What I would suggest is looking though questions, and looking at the techniques used to answer those questions.
    If you can fully understand those techniques you can apply them to any maths question.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Goldshlager

Soulja boy wrote: »
    maths isn't entirely about learning from repetition.
    What I would suggest is looking though questions, and looking at the techniques used to answer those questions.
    If you can fully understand those techniques you can apply them to any maths question.
    I agree but it's funny coming fro Soulja boy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9Jr3M3tL94&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, as much as maths isn't about learning by rote, the best way to study maths is to do a lot of problems. Doing problems will test your understanding of the concept... it's all well and good sitting there and going "ah yes, okay, that's the formula for the value of an infinite series", but using it will help you remember it, and test if you understand its implications.

We'd know better how to advise you though, if you explained where your difficulties lie. A general thing that can help though is, make sure you've got your basics down - don't lose marks on the part As by making silly mistakes, and always always ALWAYS read the question properly. When you sit down to do a question, don't rush to the finish line - to get your final answer there may be several parts involved. Think logically about what you have to do to get there, and don't try to skip parts or you'll make mistakes/leave things out. Don't panic if the answer isn't immediately apparent...
    "Find the area between this curve and that line"
    "Oh my god I don't know a formula for that how am I supposed to do this?"
    Stop and think, what DO I know how to get? And it'll probably become a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Another tip, is to make sure you know the stuff that is definitely coming up.

My paper 1 last year went like a charm because i knew the theorems, i did them first, and it boosted my confidence.

Paper 2 on the other hand, i didnt learn the theorems and it screwed me over. Theorems are guaranteed to come up, and once you learn it once, then you just need to write it out to remember it. A theorom takes only 5 minutes to write out, and there isnt a massive amount of them on the course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

Don't stress yourself out about the mocks result too much, most people in my class either failed or scraped a pass. My advice is to do pretty much every past paper there is and gain some confidence with the subject, maths is one of the subjects where being chilled out during the exam is a great plus.

Also when I did my LC I went from 47% in the mocks to an A2 in the real thing so the A you want is well achievable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bclocke

looking for maths grinds for my son in leaving cert - pass

in carlow area - can anyone help please urgent!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

bclocke wrote: »
    looking for maths grinds for my son in leaving cert - pass

in carlow area - can anyone help please urgent!!!!!!!!!!
    Take a look at the grinds sticky at the top of the forum. : p

thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

one tip is to just know all your theorems perfectly. I know none might come up but if they do you're set. they're really important

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Get that book Mathsbank, it has loads of questions to practice. In every maths subject/numbery subject I have ever studied I have found practicing questions the only way to go! I've gotten through the leaving cert, a degree in Engineering and now I'm doing accountancy. So I'm speaking from experience!

If you just do a load of similar questions at once I find that helps. Build up from easier ones to harder ones if you find a particular section difficult!

• Advertisement

thanks so much for your help and tips!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭galway.gaa

theres this question on de mock paper this year that i cant gat out. im not goin in2 skool nemore so i cant ask de teacher. its probly sumthin simple but i jus cant c it probly cos im lukin at it 2 much

(1) show that the equ.
    X3-4X2+4=0
    has 3 real roots

(2)Use the newton-raphson method to obtain an approximatin to the
    middle root, correct to decimals place.

any help would be appreciated

galway.gaa wrote: »
    theres this question on de mock paper this year that i cant gat out. im not goin in2 skool nemore so i cant ask de teacher. its probly sumthin simple but i jus cant c it probly cos im lukin at it 2 much

(1) show that the equ.
    X3-4X2+4=0
    has 3 real roots

(2)Use the newton-raphson method to obtain an approximatin to the
    middle root, correct to decimals place.

any help would be appreciated

For the first part, you want to investigate to find out where the curves turning points are. Do this by subbing in various values for x (1,2,3 etc.). If, for example, f(x) has a root between a and b, then a and b will have different signs. If three of your results are positive, then that's what you're looking for. (I'm not sure how well I've explained that).

For the second part, take the root that has a value between the other two, and use the Newton-Raphson to approximate a better value for it.

Perhaps there is an easier way of doing this, but that's just the way I'd do it. You could possibly use the factor theorem for the first part (unless it specifies otherwise, of course).

Edit: Reading over that I didn't explain it very well, especially the second part. But, I'm too tired. I'm sure someone else will come along and elucidate.

ya i still dont really get how 2 do it. i no how 2 de 1st part but i dont no how 2 find de 1st approximation 4 de roots 2 in de 2nd part 1. mayb if sum1 cud do out de question it wud really help.
    tanx

galway.gaa wrote: »
    ya i still dont really get how 2 do it. i no how 2 de 1st part but i dont no how 2 find de 1st approximation 4 de roots 2 in de 2nd part 1. mayb if sum1 cud do out de question it wud really help.
    tanx

Well, you know that if an equation has three real roots, then the f(x) coordinates of the local maximum and the local minimum will have different signs. So now you know the approximate location of the middle root.

Find the f(x) and hence the x coordiates of the turning points (where dy/dx = 0). Now, you know that the root has to be between the x values of where the turning points are:

(x values are: 0 and 8/3)

As a rough estimate, take the average value of the x coordinate of one turning point and the x coordinate of the next (4/3). This is your approximation of the root. Sub this into the N-R formula, and it will give you a better approximation. Repeat until you get to your desired accuracy.

I got 1.19 as my answer anyway.

tanx gav

Advertisement