Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple pages automatically.

Options
  • 17-03-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭

BACKGROUND
    If you have eBooks, stuff you wrote yourself, downloads from gutenberg etc, then Mobibook reader & creator are great.

paper back book style pages.
    Remember pages.

But Some gadgets with excellent 800x480 screens don't accept installs. The Archos 605 can read PDFs and Web Pages. (Though it does support javascript, Flash and sort of supports Opera Widgets, which are kind of zipped java or javascript).

I tried creating suitable sized PDF that fits screen. Issues are that it's slow, can't bookmark or "remember" current page, and no GoTo Page (it has a slider bar to jump to a page). FAIL

I have a very old version of Greenstreet Publisher: Import and layout according to a small custom page size, export as HTML creates a web site with navigation arrows on each page. Unfortunately it doesn't always get the number of lines of text per HTML page correct, so some pages you have to scroll. (Forget about even thinking of using Open Office or MS Office to do this, they doesn't create sensible HTML books at all).

Doing fixed width HTML page is easy using table or CSS.

QUESTION:
    How do I convert single text document to an HTML document (or site with multiple web pages ) with page by page navigation and EVERY page fit in 800x480 with no scrolling. Web site Bookmark will then "remember" page.

Is there a program (i've looked and closest I can get is GST Publisher)
    I can write VB, C, C++, Modula-2, Java if need be and I have written SW that reads files and makes webpages in the past.

All suggestions that will work in a Web browser on any arbitrary platform accepted. Pity Archos have blocked installing your own ARM linux SW and don't have a built in eBook application. PDF reader doesn't cut it. Even on PC, Mobibook is superior to PDF and I have 1600x1200 screens.

Advertisement