Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do celebrities with illnesses have a duty to promote understanding of them?

• 17-03-2009 12:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭

Hi, hope that this is not the wrong forum - if so, mods please move - just wanted to know the general public perception, not those directly affected by illness per say.

This issue came up on another forum of which I am a member in connection with Ron Silvers who recently died from oesophageal cancer - some people of the group said that he should have promoted the illness. My view is that while it would have been good if he had promoted oesophageal cancer awareness he had every right to his privacy and to die in dignity. We have the opposite in the case of Jade Goody where every detail of her life is being exposed - however she is promoting cervical cancer awareness which can only be a good thing. Then we have Patrick Swayze who while admiting he has the illness has been living his life...

There are several other celebrities who admit having an illness but do not let it define them. Would be grateful of anyone elses opinion.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭MelonieHead

No.

I don't think that just because someone is in the entertainment business that it means they are duty-bound to share intimate details of their lives with the general public. They are people too and if I was going through a serious illness I would want some privacy and peace. Everyone's different though and some people would choose to share. Which is okay as long as it's their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I respect those celebrities who remain private about their illnesses, however for some of us at the begining stage of our illness it is a comfort to see someone who is still alive or is doing well...doctors are not fully educated on some of the less well known but increasingly prevelant illnesses and this causes miss-diagnosis. It disturbs me the media circus around Jade but at least a lot more women will get smears...I can only admire the strength of Patrick Swayzee - having treatment and working. There are some celebrities with diabetes who are truely inspirational as I have seen too many people being defined by it and for them it is just a minor thing.

Advertisement