Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renter leaving property a month early

Options
  • 17-03-2009 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

:confused:Hi all,

Hope this is in the right section, feel free to move. Just looking for some advice.

I rent a whole house from my landlady and its my responsibility to fill it. I have done so successfully but now one of the guys has decided he will move at end of April even though its a student house so normally it will be rented for 9 months (Sept-May). He wants to use deposit as Aprils rent and when I said no he insisted that he will want deposit back when he leave which is fine as theres no breakages but I feel that shoul cover May rent.

Said he told me he would only rent till end of April but thats not true as I would never have agreed to take him in.

What can I do? He never signed anything, I signed contract so if/when he leaves early it will be me (and in fairness my other 3 housemates have backed me fully) who will be left having to pay that extra rent.

Have I no come back since it was a verbal agreement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

You have no comeback, the guy is free to leave when he chooses. He has given one months notice so that's all that's neccesary.

In future, when you are getting your next place, by all means move in with your friends but try to pay for the room, not the house.

Let the landlord worry about replacements, you are doing a lot of work and taking on extra problems for them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

Agree with Mike, thats one of the main reasons people just rent out a room in someone elses house rather than get a lease, it gives them more flexability to move with a months notice. He's entitled to his deposit back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

I dont mean to be unhelpful but why would you take on the responsibility of the whole house? You are doing the landlords durty work for free really!

Whether anything has been signed or not he is giving you ample notice, most leases can be broken if you give adequate notice, you could give him back his deposit and just split out the remainder between eveyone else or if they dont agree pay it yourself as the responsibility lies on your shoulders and take it as a lesson to look after your own arrangements next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

Bummer. But thanks for that, this will save me trying to fight an unwinnable battle!
    mikemac wrote: »
    In future, when you are getting your next place, by all means move in with your friends but try to pay for the room, not the house.

Let the landlord worry about replacements, you are doing a lot of work and taking on extra problems for them here.
    I dont mean to be unhelpful but why would you take on the responsibility of the whole house? You are doing the landlords durty work for free really!

That was the only way we could get our dream college house was to take the whole house and we have done so for 2 years now and this is the first problem.

More than that though we were very afraid that the landlady would just put any ould weirdo in with us just so she could fill the rooms and get rent. We wanted to pick and choose who we lived with so that was another reason. We wanted to vet them first!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,648 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

this does not fall under the rent a room scheme as more than one room is leased out. the person is entitled to give notice as per the lease that that person signed. If no notice is specified, then they are legally obliged to pay rent till the end of the lease, or find a suitable replacement.
    deposit is to cover damage caused, not rent.
    if no lease is in place, then notice is covered on threshold.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

boarddotie wrote: »
    Bummer. But thanks for that, this will save me trying to fight an unwinnable battle!

That was the only way we could get our dream college house was to take the whole house and we have done so for 2 years now and this is the first problem.

More than that though we were very afraid that the landlady would just put any ould weirdo in with us just so she could fill the rooms and get rent. We wanted to pick and choose who we lived with so that was another reason. We wanted to vet them first!!

So are you saying that you personally have a lease with the landlord for the whole house?

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

So are you saying that you personally have a lease with the landlord for the whole house?

Yes, untill May. So if one person leaves before May then I (and my sympathetic other housemates) will have to fork out for the rest of the rent. I assume.

Advertisement