Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good camera for recording gigs

Options
  • 17-03-2009 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

hi, can someone recomend me a good video camera for recording gigs.

i~d like decent broadcast quality... and the sound~s very important... would i need to use a seperate mike?

budget, between E800 and E1500

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

bacon? wrote: »
    would i need to use a seperate mike?

Most definitely.
    budget, between E800 and E1500

If you are talking about buying new then you won't get much for that, but you maybe lucky with something on e-bay. Just remember to budget for a tripod, mic, batteries, tapes, cables, editing tools (software). Do a search for mini-DV cameras.

Buying the camera is just the start, don't blow all your money on a camera only to realise you need a lot more equipment to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭artvandulet

hi, can someone recomend me a good video camera for recording gigs.

If you mean your own gigs then you wont use a mic at all. You'll take an Aux out of the sound desk into a line in on the camera. Recording a live gig solely from an onboard mic will sound rubbish.
    If you want whas considered "broadcast" quality recording then you won't get that for the budget you have. Like the previous poster, aim for a decent 2nd hand miniDV camera. Thats your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

can you guys give me some recomendations?

i just need them to look and sound good online.

cheers.

can you guys give me some recomendations?

i just need them to look and sound good online.

cheers.

If the videos are just for online release then you don't need a broadcast quality camera.

Have a look for any small camcorder and try to get one with an external mic socket.

Any of the Sony "HD" hard drive cameras are good HERE is an example of a gig I shot with a sony handycam camcorder and just using the built-in camera mic.

The sound off this camera wasn't used in the final cut, just the jib footage but it will give you an idea what to expect from a little camcorder.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just record the sound from the mixing decks, mix with a bit of ambient from and omni and your sorted imo, dont need anything spectacular... might find an old xm2 possible for near that price

• Advertisement

just record the sound from the mixing decks, mix with a bit of ambient from and omni and your sorted imo, dont need anything spectacular... might find an old xm2 possible for near that price

can you translate :)

what~s omni?

an old xm2...?

he means use the inbuilt mic on the camera along with the feed from the desk and a Canon XM2!

Anyway, if its just for web use then foreget worrying about getting a really expensive camera. Just get a mini DV one with a "firewire", also called "IEEE1394" or "iLink" connection. This will allow you to control the camera's player with computer for transfering footage across.
    I would recommend using Corel Video Studio 12 for editing as its really easy to use, lots of FX, not expensive and produces very good results. Also allows you to export your videos to web.

he means use the inbuilt mic on the camera along with the feed from the desk and a Canon XM2!

Anyway, if its just for web use then foreget worrying about getting a really expensive camera. Just get a mini DV one with a "firewire", also called "IEEE1394" or "iLink" connection. This will allow you to control the camera's player with computer for transfering footage across.
    I would recommend using Corel Video Studio 12 for editing as its really easy to use, lots of FX, not expensive and produces very good results. Also allows you to export your videos to web.

thanks for the feedback dude.

are you saying the canon xm2 would be a bit of an overkill?

If you can pick one up 2nd hand then great but afaik they are a couple of grand new. Don't know them too well myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

xm2 hasn't got xlr inputs or widescreen recording. Captures a nice picture though

Advertisement