Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New F1 Rules

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭tifosi 1

Lets face facts. Only 2-3 teams are capable of winning a championship. Honda, Torro Rosso, Force India,Toyota and RBR should have packed their bags years ago. I'd much rather see 8 competitive Ferraris and Mclaren racing each other than very average teams that are only there to bump up the numbers. Every driver on that grid wants to win the race and if your happy with second then you shouldn't be in F1. If your gonna have a points system then make the difference from first to second huge. No matter what points/wins system you use a dominant driver with no competition is going to walk the championship. Instead of dicking about with the points system the FIA should be making it easier for cars to race each other for the entire grand prix. Come back Jean Balestre all is forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

It's all to do with Bernie having nothing better to do, remember his wife has gone walk-a-bout, watching the Olympics and seeing all those gold medals being handed out and thinking why don't we do that.

If the world of motor racing had individual teams from each country and each country had its own intregral championship. then a series of knock out races to decide the ultimate champion, yer, by all means give teh winner a gold medal... but every four years... Yer Right.

The permutations on on race wins forgets the back rooms deals, that championship points get air frieght to the circuits paid during the season. No points, no money.. a very good incentive. The budget cap will be the next thorn in the side of the teams.... The cost, the size of the teams, both home and away, plus the build cost, R&D for all 30 million, with the present world crunch and the value of all major currencies dropping 30m will be wages for the Truck drivers let alone the rest of the team. Well, not literally

...And Spanky is going to stand for re-erection, sorry mis-spelt that.... election. ...

But, with the new tyres, the new body work, the engine spec.... wasn't somebody trying to keep costs down? What would be the more expensive? Developing engines to last longer, developing body work to meet new regs and tyres, different compound and different front end for the tyres. than staying with last years spec..... somebody, please explain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,593 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Oblomov wrote: »
    ...And Spanky is going to stand for re-erection, sorry mis-spelt that.... election. ...

ROFL :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭BoardsRanger

Oblomov wrote: »
    ...And Spanky is going to stand for re-erection,..
    Haha -Spanky- classic.

With regards to the budget cap- i think its a joke to even suggest the option of having an opt-in cap with rule exemptions as a reward!
    Its either a universal budget cap or nothing! But preferably- i dont want to see any budget cap, after all, it is the pinnacle of motorsport and innovation and design should be encouraged!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tau wrote: »
    There's also a "most fastest laps" table at the moment also - it's going in the direction of most cycling races, where there's prizes for most points, overall time, most stage wins, got to the top of most hills first, best youngest compeditor etc.
    in fairness there are a few more cyclists in a race and it takes a longer time to complete

Bernie Ecclestone on Sunday agreed with Max Mosley that the FIA's 30 million (British pounds) budget cap is not a closed book. Although the governing body last week introduced the measure as a concrete 2010 regulation rather than a proposal, FIA president Mosley later confessed the actual figure quoted is "provisional".

"I actually think it could be done for 25 million (pounds) but that's just my opinion. All my advisers think it should be more (than 30 million)."

F1 chief executive Ecclestone on Sunday told the Telegraph in Britain that he thinks 30 million is "too low".

"It should be 40 million. It's been passed already. But I suppose in the world everything is (open for negotiation)," the 78-year-old said.
    Disgruntled, he dismisses the collapse of his 'winner takes all' scoring system as "the problem with democracy", but the events of the past week have made clear his long relationship with Mosley is fully back on track following the sex scandal.

"It always was," Ecclestone smiled.

Love the wording 'fully back on track'...... just what does that mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

I don't think the budget cap will stay at 30m i think its the first offer and the FIA trying to stamp its authority. I can see a power struggle between FIA and FOTA as to who has the greater say in F1 rules in and major decisions in future with Bernie sticking his nose in too. The 30m will definitely go up and could be pushed up possibly in return for the teams agreeing th this new stupid points/wins system or other changes. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'm not sure what I think about the budget cap idea, but I don't like the idea of the driver with the most wins taking the title. I mean it's ok if that also happens to be the driver with the most points. But as like someone else said, if it's just someone who win's at the tracks they are good at and through luck or whatever, no-one else gets more wins, is that other driver worthy of being champion? I don't think so.

Having said that, what seems more stupid is how the FIA are chopping and changing stuff a week before the first race of the season. It's like amateur hour.

The spectre of official protests against the rear diffusers of three 2009-spec cars on Monday grew ever larger. Mere days ahead of scrutineering for the Australian grand prix, Red Bull's motor racing advisor Helmut Marko declared that the solutions on the Toyota, Williams and Brawn cars are "illegal".

"They have a double-diffuser which gives them five tenths per lap (extra)," the Austrian told sportnet.at on Monday.

"Seven teams - including Red Bull - are united: they are illegal," said Marko, raising the probability of a formal protest at the scene of the season opener this weekend.

He claims both Renault and Red Bull discussed the legality of a similar aerodynamic concept with the FIA early last year and "at that time there was a negative answer".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Jesus I didn't realise the drivers had to pay such ridiculous money for the superlicences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭lovinit

I wish they would make up thier minds now, its getting close and I am getting more confused by the day:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

lovinit wrote: »
    I wish they would make up thier minds now, its getting close and I am getting more confused by the day:D
    I think they should have decided on the defuser issue before the start of the season. I don't see the point in the result in Australia ending up being decided in court when they know their is an issue that needed to be clarified weeks ago.

Advertisement