Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Musicans...What are you studying?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Funky Penguin; I see your cliche and raise you Satie's Premiere Gymnopedie and Bach's Bouree in E Minor :P

I play guitar and piano, but I don't study classical guitar, and I've never really studied piano seriously. I'm learning these two so I can play them at my audition for NUIM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Mozart's use of oboe and horn. No, really. I'm that boring.

I f1ckin love orchestration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Brahms: Study for the left hand alone after Bach's Chaconne BWV 1016*

Skryabin: Prelude and Nocturne in C sharp minor for left hand solo

Reinecke: Sonata in C minor for left hand solo

Yeah, I kind of frakked up my right hand. Also, no good recordings online (except for the Bach/Brahms, which is in a streaming interview with Idil Biret somewhere).

*Edit: according to Google, this chaconne is BWV 1004, but my score somewhat mystifyingly says 1016...

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Mad Hatter: Sorry to hear about your right hand. I banjaxed my left hand last year and it's still not right, but unfortunately the lack of right hand repertoire limited me in such exploits! Also, I love that Scriabin left-hand prelude.

Pianist. Currently playing Beethoven C-sharp minor sonata (the "Moonlight", though outside the first movement I think the title is redundant). Liszt, "Aux Cypres de la Villa d'Este" No. 1. Messiaen, Prelude in G-sharp (1964). Debussy, "En Blanc et Noir" (for two pianos). Also started looking at the Scriabin E major study (Op. 8 No. 7?). And various other bits and pieces.

Doshea3 wrote: »
    Mad Hatter: Sorry to hear about your right hand. I banjaxed my left hand last year and it's still not right, but unfortunately the lack of right hand repertoire limited me in such exploits! Also, I love that Scriabin left-hand prelude.

Cheers. It's getting better, but I have to keep reminding myself to take it easy on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Eeek, thats horrible! Get better soon and don't sgrivate it! :)

Last June I got severe tendonitis in my right hand on finger 3. Managed to finally get it sorted recently and I'm now about 4 weeks back playing. Oddly, while my technique diminished...my sight reading improved (ever so slightly tough!). Maybe its because I'm being more patient.

Hope you get better soon.

Cheers, funky. I'm also teaching myself the Pathetique sonata (very, very carefully), as I have students learning various movements.

It's soooo much fun...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Zangetsu

I'm a guitarist myself, only going after the grades now, starting off at 4 so hopefully it goes well :) Just messing around with scales and arpeggios at the moment, the pieces are easy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Currently working on the Poluenc Flute sonata and Mozart Flute Concerto in G major.
    Also on the Vivaldi Piccolo concerto in C major.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Right now, studying Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum (Debussy), Sechs Kleine Klavierstucke (Schoenberg), Raindrop Prelude (Chopin), and Goodnight Saigon (Joel).

Also writing string trio, a madrigal, a rondo for piano, theme and variation for piano, and a two-pat invention for piano (all kinda common practice harmony) as well as a song for baritone, some piano works, a sonata for piano and demi-clarinet, and an oboe piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Right now, studying Doctor Gradus ad Parnassum (Debussy), Sechs Kleine Klavierstucke (Schoenberg), Raindrop Prelude (Chopin), and Goodnight Saigon (Joel).

Also writing string trio, a madrigal, a rondo for piano, theme and variation for piano, and a two-pat invention for piano (all kinda common practice harmony) as well as a song for baritone, some piano works, a sonata for piano and demi-clarinet, and an oboe piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Harsiem

I'm studying Jehan Alain's 'Litanies' on the organ at the moment, it's a beautiful modern piece! The only problem is the price of the sheet music, thoses French publishers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

I'm working on some Chopin Mazukas for my ABRSM Diploma at the moment.
    You only need to learn one, but I'm working on three of them, since I've always somewhat neglected playing Chopin (unfortunately).
    The Mazukas I'm playing are: Op.67 Nos 2, 3 and 4.

Undergod: How are you finding the Schoenberg?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Aerb

Whoa, huge coincidence. I've listened to Op. 23 No. 5 today about twenty times, but I've watched Valentina Igoshina's interpretation. I wish I'd be able to play it someday. I'm practicing Waltz Op. 64 No. 2 right now. It's a little bit easier than Rachmaninov. <<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

I'm just sticking to the Chopin Mazurkas for now! Nice, easy & bitesize, and gorgeous music.
    The Waltzes are just plain too much work!

Perhaps offbeat, but a particual spacing of flut, 2 oboes and 2 bassoons. Heard it first in the middle section of Mozart's d minor concerto and always wondered what that sound was, so today I decided to finally take a look at it. Heavenly! One for the handbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

I play lever harp and working on Grade 8 - which means one boring excercise, one Irish piece (I'm playing Carolan's Farewell) and Fantasia by McNulty, which is fairly modern, I think... I sometimes wonder how they manage to choose so many pieces that are so difficult but still uninteresting for the exams!

Aside from that, I'm building repertoire so working on pop classical, like Pachelbel's Canon, the Mendelssohn's Wedding March, Claire de Lune....

A lot of great music doesn't work on harp at all but at least I don't need a full orchestra to sound good!

Check out Debussy's reverie. I heard a recording of it on harp the other day and it was magical!

this ones a little straight for my tastes but still a nice interpretation. Great tempo.

Damn penguins! Supposed to be doing an essay but then ''Ooooh, internet'' followed by ''Ooooh, Reverie on harp!''

Nice performance. You owe 200 words, Funky!

Subject? :)

• Advertisement

Eh, all of them? You know anything about.. *glances down at notes*.. ''music... ology?''

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Norrdeth

banquo wrote: »
    Perhaps offbeat, but a particual spacing of flut, 2 oboes and 2 bassoons. Heard it first in the middle section of Mozart's d minor concerto and always wondered what that sound was, so today I decided to finally take a look at it. Heavenly! One for the handbook.

Is that the characteristic 3 octave spread?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Seoid

Ooh, that does sound lovely!! Must see if it's playable on the lever harp... unfortunately a lot of classical music just can't be played properly - usually because of too many accidentals.

Norrdeth wrote: »
    Is that the characteristic 3 octave spread?

Sorta, the thing I'm looking at the oboes are in a different part of their range. but nicely spotted. Adler worth the money then, yeah?

Adler ftw.

Korsokov ftl

Adler is far more comprehensive than Korsakov. Korsakov is a bit like ''How to write like Korsakov''

It is, however, free and with musical examples. Good for the basic stuff, like, what the hell oboes sound like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭stlongs

I play a nylon string Guitar. Trying to learn Sweet Home Alabama and Johnny B. Goode on and off for months. Just started Clasical Gas, by Mason Williams, and another tune I found lying around, no idea whats it's called but sounds lovely...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

N00b to this forum, hi :o

Violin is my principal instrument. Was supposed to do my Grade 8 this year but couldn't do it in conjunction with my LC. My teacher just started me on Brahms Hungarian Dance No.1(played No.5 before, not my favourite that year with all the double stopping) and its hard. :( I like the piece itself though, just doesn't sound great when I'm butchering it! I'm VEC btw, so I do the School of Music syllabus. Need to get the rest of my books some time soon actually. Need to get Mozart Concerto no.3 in G major and Bartok Six Romanian Dances.

I took up piano 2 years ago, doing Grade 5 in November(damn LC again). Not really good enough to do Grade 5 but I guess I was a bit too ambitious. I'm RI anyway so it isn't that hard. I hate how half the pieces are really modern! Not my thing at all. Doing Etude op 47 no.15 by Heller, Gigue from Suite in D minor HWV 437 by Handel and Sonata in C major Hob XVI/21 by Haydn.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

Hi, welcome to the forum! Nice to have some fresh blood...

Piano teacher here. You've picked the best three on that Grade V I think... :)

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 plinkyplanky

Another newb here! :)
    Violin player myself, not really studying anything in particular at the moment - finished grades last year, and since the LC practical in March i haven't done any serious practice. Will have to teach myself some new pieces over the summer!

Advertisement