Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NRA - Next round of PPPs... 2010/2011 Indicative Start Dates.

• 17-03-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭

http://www.nra.ie/Publications/DownloadableDocumentation/PublicPrivatePartnership/file,16119,en.pdf

N17/M17/M18 - Tuam - Gort (includes Tuam Bypass) (2010)
    M11/N25 - Enniscorthy Bypass/New Ross Bypass (2011)
    M20 - Southern Section (2011)
    M20 - Northern Section (2011)

The M20 scheme will:

Include the Cork Northern Ring Road (northern section) (which will connect to the M8 using a free-flow layout rather than the hideous roundabout that was originally proposed).
    Include a Motorway Service Area.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I'll crosspost my Sabre post :D

This is just educated guesswork but the NRA define a three level stack as a freeflow interchange. The CNRR/M20 interchange may still be the three level stack and the CNRR/M8 may still be the disaster proposed, I dont know.

Also, its not the full CNRR in this, its only the Northern section - N20 to M8. The western section (basically N20 to Ballincollig) is not included but isnt as necessary as the Northern section.

However, the Sunday Business post have reported that the banks are showing unwillingness to support these PPPs. The M17/18 Gort-Tuam one is at tender at the moment, with a deadline of 1st April. If this goes ahead, then the other PPPs will, if it fails and doesnt get issued, then we can forget about all major road construction for probably a minimum of 5 years.

The M17/18 IMO is the most important road project in Irish history - because if it doesnt go ahead the roads program is as good as dead until the economy vastly improves. Lets not forget that it is looking VERY likely that the N21 Castleisland bypass, the only directly government funding program for a 2009 start, is going to be cancelled for now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

However, the Sunday Business post have reported that the banks are showing unwillingness to support these PPPs.

I reported 6 weeks ago why the banks are unwilling to support these PPP's , shame the Business Post did not correctly attribute Boards.ie , eh!!!

How clearly do I have to put these things for people to understand ?? It is not that I have not tried :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58848843&postcount=40

"Consortium goes to bank for wedge , bank laughs consortium out the door. Consortium cannot bid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

Silly question maybe, but does this hold true for all banks right across the European Union? I mean, I presume any EU company can bid, and that any bank can opt to finance these bids. Just raising the question.

The 'risk' factor is an internationally comparable variable .

CDS spreads

Heavy Version

http://www.irisheconomy.ie/index.php/2009/02/21/reinhart-and-rogoff-and-ireland/

Medium heavy version

EMUSpreads.gif

There is no 'lite' version !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

But on the positive side, as our economy continues to regress with a falling National Income, then we may soon qualify for EU Structural funding again;)

The problem at the minute is that our income per capita is above the EU average, I'd say give it 2-3 more years of this Government and we will be comfortably below the average. The problem is that countries like Romania, Latvia and Bulgaria are pulling down the average, so it will be no mean feat to achieve such a reduction in national income.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

The NRA do build ugly interchanges, and we still haven't learned from the M50. geeee don't think there is much more to say here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JAN113131

As you can see... the deadline for this has been pushed back...

Clearly either the NRA aren't happy with tender submissions that have been made, they haven't gotten enough tender submissions, or worse (and as some have predicted):

They got no tender submissions.

If that's the case, kiss the rest of the PPP road schemes goodbye.

Now, obviously we don't know, we know that the MSA was removed from the project recently, and that may have affected the process. But still...

EDIT: This seems have gone through though:

http://www.e-tenders.gov.ie/Search/Show/Search_View.aspx?id=MAR114786

Anyone got any news on this? Interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

the banks are showing unwillingness to support these PPPs.

The funding for PPP's have basically dried up but there has been reports of the government using cash from pension funds in order to fund any future PPP infrastructure projects. The department of finance are reported to be having serious discussions with reps of the Irish pension industry about the plan. It looks viable as there is a guaranteed return in any investment on these not like what they are doing currently investing in countries abroad.

If this works then we can see our N20's and N17's being built anything otherwise will see these schemes dead in the water.

If anything the two M20s is the least likely of the four to go ahead.

N17/18 and N11/25 are both CPOed I think. M20 isnt. Government provides the CPO, the PPP crowd build and finance it.

Will the gov be able to afford an 80+ km CPO for the M20 (with Cork NRR Northern section and Adare bypass thrown in?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

If anything the two M20s is the least likely of the four to go ahead.

N17/18 and N11/25 are both CPOed I think. M20 isnt. Government provides the CPO, the PPP crowd build and finance it.

Will the gov be able to afford an 80+ km CPO for the M20 (with Cork NRR Northern section and Adare bypass thrown in?)

It wont touch any capital the government has well apart from the CPO. It will be an investment from the seperate pension industry and they will expect to see a return on this. The reserve in the pension fund is 70 billion. How much would it take to CPO the M20 scheme roughly?

Sounds more like a situation where no bank anywhere on the planet would fund the N17 and N11 projects for under 10% interest per annum .

I am that surprised I am ...sure this money was ringfenced by Martin Cullen personally was it not .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411846

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Sounds more like a situation where no bank anywhere on the planet would fund the N17 and N11 projects for under 10% interest per annum .

I am that surprised I am ...sure this money was ringfenced by Martin Cullen personally was it not .

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055411846

Sure of course, give the banks bonuses.

Some reality we live in.:rolleyes:

Sponge Bob wrote: »

Oh my god Martin Cullen lied to us? I cannot believe it, a politician who we voted in on our trust has told us fibs? Oh the humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

From today's Sunday Business Post:

Pension cash to be used to fund infrastructure
    Sunday, April 19, 2009 By Ian Kehoe
    Billions of euro from Irish pension funds will be used to fund state infrastructure projects and public private partnerships (PPP), under a radical plan being devised by the government.

Officials from the Department of Finance are having high-level discussions with representatives of the Irish pension industry about the plan, which would significantly reduce the state’s own funding exposure on capital projects.

Under the proposal, the government will pay a dividend to pension funds in return for accessing the cash they hold.

The funds will purchase a special type of government bond, offering them a guaranteed return and providing the state with cash to continue key infrastructural investments.

Advertisement