Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steelers relocating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SimComSports

To see Troy Polamalu reach to pull in a Joe Flacco floater and return it to the roaring Hill 16 to head into the second half of the season 8-0....

Steelers for Superbowl XLIII.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

That is cringingly embarrassing TBH. The world economy is in the pan, and they send the billionaire owner of the Superbowl champs to be ambassador to Ireland.
    I know this isn't a political forum, but more and more I'm starting to think that Obama is waaaay out of his depth.

/political rant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Eh, Dan Rooney has been heavily involved in Irish affairs for many years. Ever hear of the Ireland funds or the Rooney prize for literature. The guy has contributed to this country a lot and Obama saw fit to reward him for it even though Rooney's a republican. The last two ambassadors have both been worth many millions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I don't understand why sending a billionaire is embarrassing. He's a billionaire. He's not a stock market speculator or a sub-prime mortgage seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,316 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

davyjose wrote: »
    That is cringingly embarrassing TBH. The world economy is in the pan, and they send the billionaire owner of the Superbowl champs to be ambassador to Ireland.
    I know this isn't a political forum, but more and more I'm starting to think that Obama is waaaay out of his depth.

/political rant

Suggest you read up on how US ambassadors are appointed and Mr Rooney's bio before you start accusing anyone else of being out of their depth

• Advertisement

jdivision wrote: »
    Eh, The guy has contributed to this country a lot and Obama saw fit to reward him for it even though Rooney's a republican. .

Elaborate please? Am I supposed to be grateful to Dan Rooney for the supposed riches he brought to Ireland? Puh-lease? Seriously I'd like to know how Dan Rooney has contributed to this country???

I find it funny, too, how Dan Rooney has direct Relations with the people who own the NY Giants. Look, I love American Football, but when I hear about people without any political qualifications being ambassadors to our country, I feel like it's very condescending. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong, I mean, after all, we did hold the Special Olympics recently?

Dodge wrote: »
    Suggest you read up on how US ambassadors are appointed and Mr Rooney's bio before you start accusing anyone else of being out of their depth

Ok, well why don't you fill me In???

Because I'm one of the 3&1/2 million people to whome Dan Rooney means nothing. I mean you're quick to make me look like a schmuck because I don't recognise the ambassadorial qualities of a man who's grandaughter is also the grand-niece of the NY Giants. But I'm simply asking why this guy gets to be Ambassador to Ireland, cos BO thinks it would be "neat". I don't see it.

And by the way, "Dodge" I suggest you PM me and ask me what sort of an opinion I have on the effects US politics have on my life. Don't you DARE suggest I don't have a valid opinion on the going-on's. Ta.

davyjose wrote: »
    Ok, well why don't you fill me In???
    because this isn't the place. Read it for yourself.
    Because I'm one of the 3&1/2 million people to whome Dan Rooney means nothing. I mean you're quick to make me look like a schmuck because I don't recognise the ambassadorial qualities of a man who's grandaughter is also the grand-niece of the NY Giants. But I'm simply asking why this guy gets to be Ambassador to Ireland, cos BO thinks it would be "neat". I don't see it.
    You're mising the point completely. The fact is you hadn't a clue about something and went on a rant about it. If you don't know about it, don't comment on it.
    And by the way, "Dodge" I suggest you PM me and ask me what sort of an opinion I have on the effects US politics have on my life. Don't you DARE suggest I don't have a valid opinion on the going-on's. Ta.
    I suggest you get a grip on yourself. You DO NOT have a clue on how US ambassadors are apppointed and you DO NOT have a clue on how dan Rooney is involved in Irish affairs. Thats what I commented on. I neither know, nor care, how US politics effects you and unlike you I don't comment on things I know nothing about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

American ambassador to Ireland is also a post in the service of the United States, so it makes no difference whatsoever if WE think he has any qualifications or not, so long as the United States government is satisfied that he's serving their interests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 SimComSports

Doesnt matter what we think, the dude has done a lot for this country. Stuff beyond of which none of us can comment about on his level. The fact is that Mr Rooney is our new ambassador and IMHO he is as good as any available.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Can someone direct me to "American Football"??

Seem to have slipped into some circle jerk here.

The reason Dan Rooney was appointed US Amb. to Ireland is that BO thinks he is the best guy for the job.

That's all that matters,nothing else,zilch ,nada,null,zzzzzero.

Now ! where were we??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Can someone direct me to "American Football"??

Seem to have slipped into some circle jerk here.

The reason Dan Rooney was appointed US Amb. to Ireland is that BO thinks he is the best guy for the job.

That's all that matters,nothing else,zilch ,nada,null,zzzzzero.

Now ! where were we??:D

I think you will find American football over there -> no wait over there <- no hold on a minutes ITS BEHIND you :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Crapjob Sean

Oh, wow a politically-inexperienced billionaire is becoming ambassador to Ireland.

Maybe he'll use the wrong fork at dinner or something and embarrass us all, cos you know how important ambassadors are.

Who gives a flying ****?

P.S. I hate the Steelers

Who gives a flying ****?

The people dragging up topics that petered out weeks ago?

Advertisement