Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No break clause?

Options
  • 17-03-2009 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi all,

I've 6 months left on my current apartment lease and the contract is a fairly standard contract except for the section that is clearly typed up by the Estate Agency themselves. In this section there is a clause that says the following:

"This is a lease for 12 months, no break clause. Breaking of this lease will result in the forfeit of the deposit."

That is the only mention of breaking the lease in the entire contract so I'm wondering does that mean I can just give a months notice, lose the deposit but otherwise that would be it?

Regards,
    h.a

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Hi all,

I've 6 months left on my current apartment lease and the contract is a fairly standard contract except for the section that is clearly typed up by the Estate Agency themselves. In this section there is a clause that says the following:

"This is a lease for 12 months, no break clause. Breaking of this lease will result in the forfeit of the deposit."

That is the only mention of breaking the lease in the entire contract so I'm wondering does that mean I can just give a months notice, lose the deposit but otherwise that would be it?

Regards,
    h.a

Why dont you ask the estate agent, sometimes the lease is uber stringent but if you have extenuating circumstances you might get some leeway, if not then walking away after a months notice looks fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭hideous ape

Well because they are assholes to deal with and I would prefer that the next time I have to deal with them is when I'm leaving:)
    I had to find somewhere to live at very short notice so I had to take this place or I would've been homeless.
    I've settled into a new job so can now look for a much better place for a lot less money!

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

Techinically they can pursue you for the remainder of the lease.Wether they do that they would have to go through the PRTB and that will take its sweet time.

If they themselves are not in breach of the lease then you dont have a leg to stand on really.

Advertisement