Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Delivery to the UK- apparently Northern Ireland is not in the UK

Options
  • 17-03-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Just wanted to get some of your opinions on this. I wanted to buy a large canvas print for my mother for mothers day. We live in ROI, but my sister lives in Belfast. I didn't want my mum to know about it until Sunday, so asked about delivery times to Belfast, and a few other questions.
    I got a quick reply and was told that it would arrive by this Friday and according to the site, shipping is free to the UK. I was happy with the service, so went ahead and paid for the order.
    About 10 mins later, I got an email saying that postage to Ireland would cost an extra £14.99 as the delivery address was not in the UK. I wasn't very pleased about it and replied saying that as far as i was aware, Belfast is in the UK and I didnt want it delivered to ROI anyway. I also said that I would like all of the shipping info clarified or I would want a refund. They responded by saying that while Belfast is in the UK, delivery would now be £9.99.
    I wrote back and told them to cancel my order. If they lie about the price, theyre not very trustworthy I think.
    Anyone got opinions? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

What was the website?

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Its http://www.getcanvas.co.uk/

I'm just wondering what the story is with the term Free delivery to the UK. I can't see how this can exclude Northern Ireland (without specifying).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Jeapy wrote: »
    Its http://www.getcanvas.co.uk/

I'm just wondering what the story is with the term Free delivery to the UK. I can't see how this can exclude Northern Ireland (without specifying).

They even specify UK and 'off shore islands'. So if they can include Orkney, isle of Wight and maybe even Isle if Man.

The website is misleading though not sure what course if action you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

"Within the UK" would lead me to believe Scotland / England / Wales really .. but it's very misleading I think especially if it lets you complete the order process and everything.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/UK
    uk

noun
    a monarchy in northwestern Europe occupying most of the British Isles; divided into England and Scotland and Wales and Northern Ireland; 'Great Britain' is often used loosely to refer to the United Kingdom [syn: United Kingdom]

Suppose you could check what the UK gov website says UK is, but according to that its NI as well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are they using a courier or the Royal Mail?

If they're using the RM, they are ripping you off, plain and simple. It costs no more to post anything from, say, Edinburgh to Belfast than it does to post the same item to London.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Random wrote: »
    "Within the UK" would lead me to believe Scotland / England / Wales really .. but it's very misleading I think especially if it lets you complete the order process and everything.

The passports say the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. What you're thinking of is Britain. Ian Paisley wouldn't be happy with you :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I agree with last poster

It's the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.

Therefore , SF not withstanding the six counties ( Northern Ireland ) IS part of the UK.

Fair play to the OP for cancelling the order.

eth0_ wrote: »
    Are they using a courier or the Royal Mail?

If they're using the RM, they are ripping you off, plain and simple. It costs no more to post anything from, say, Edinburgh to Belfast than it does to post the same item to London.

They use couriers. After asking for more money, I didn't trust them at all, so asked for a full refund (for false advertisement re postage). i think they were just trying to extract more money out of me seeing as the delivery cost dropped from 14.99 to 9.99 as soon as i questioned it.

I wasn't pleased with the final reply i got from them either (this is the full text, so hello etc!)...
    "at the checkout we clearly ask customer to either call us to request shipping rates, Ireland is not classed as uk delivery and certainly not a next day courier service.... we have customer order every day and selecting the shipping rate to Ireland and it's never been a problem, but your issues have been taken on board!
    I will be cancelling your order now..... and refunding your money."

Have to check the credit card now to see. Anyone know if I can do this online? Thanks for all the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Well that's fair enough if they use a courier company as most of them do charge more for N.I delivery...and to Scottish Islands/Highlands, IOM, Jersey etc.

HOWEVER they should have made that explicitly clear. For normal postage, N.I is most definitely just part of the UK and costs no more to post things to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You could report their false advertising to the UK consumer affairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭darc

You'll probably be coaught by the buy/sell rate of exchange if the card was already debited. - About 5% of sale value.

Reads of Nassau street & sandyford are cheaper & locally based http://www.reads.ie/index-3-canvas.html

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

ya says off shore so should include northern ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Regency Black

That company definitely needs to review how they advertise their p&p rates.

You were dead right to cancel your order & get a refund. I would have done the same.

Companies that deal this way do not deserve your hard earned cash.

I'm sure if you done a bit of digging though you would find that you should have been legally entitled to the product as was advertised & that any mistakes by them in pricing would have to be incurred until they updated the pricing. Definitely look into your consumer rights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Is your mother not worth a tenner? Because while i agree with you, i'd probably have still put through the order.

You'll be hard pushed to find somewhere that'll deliver something you like before Sunday now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Tis pretty bad alright because they clearly say:
    Now with FREE Delivery ANYWHERE in the UK within 2-3 working days.

Report them to the relevant authorities because it is falsely advertising.

Is your mother not worth a tenner?

'Gone Drinking' - I had to laugh at your opening line. I thought you were slagging the man's mother! It took me a second to realise what you were on about.

Is your mother not worth a tenner?

'Gone Drinking' - I had to laugh at your opening line. I thought you were slagging the man's mother! It took me a second to realise what you were on about.

I'm a she! :D
    @Gone Drinking. Yes my mother is worth a tenner, but not to some dodgy crowd. I used a diferent company who expected it to be delivered before 2pm today, or 2pm tomorrow at the latest. Anyway, how much my mother means to me is completely irrelevant-the thread is about Belfast not being classed as part of the UK.
    @ darc, thanks for the link. If I'd come across them earlier, I'd have used them. Theyre not actually cheaper (princes on screen exclude vat) but I do prefer to shop locally.

Jeapy,

I do apologise. Jumping to conclusions as usual. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Quick, someone tell Gerry and Martin, they'll be delighted :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

hmm, looks like their terms page has gone offline.

Im getting a 404 error when I try and access it.

http://www.getcanvas.co.uk/photo-canvas/termsandconditions.htm
    Sorry, the page you have requested cannot be found.

Advertisement